Red Sea customer support (nonexistent??)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ks525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else having this same issue. I was very excited to get back into reefing after several years off. I had gotten tired of the guesswork and red sea seemed to offer up a logical, informed, and impressive approach. I bought in big time. I have the reefer xl525, all the RCP chemicals, used the reef mature program to cycle the tank..... All was fine until I reached an imbalance - 0 NO3, .06 PO4.

I've been trying for months to get some support from Red Sea with little to no luck. I've tried their web request forms, email addresses I've stumbled on, and various forums. Out of about 10 different attempts I've gotten one response from them. Basically they said that they didn't have anything for that situation and I had to find some other method of reducing phosphate. Doesn't seem like much of a 'program' if it doesn't address one of the hobbies biggest concerns....

Anyone else noticed red sea doesn't seem to participate in any of these forums anymore? Do you get any response going through their website?

I feel rather abandoned. Maybe abandoned isn't the right word since I never really had any support from the start. Misled, maybe??

Any suggestions on an alternate reef maintenance program that can address phosphate?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
theres tons of ways to fix your problem it doesnt have to be through red sea

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you may need to increase nitrates and that may help bring the po4 down. I don't think carbon dosing is all that great for phosphate.

As far as tech support, I have always received a reply for my email inquiries. You can call as well.

I had a pin hole leak in my silicone on myreefer 250. Happened on a Friday night, I was in contact the following Monday and had a new tank within 10 days, over a holiday as well.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else having this same issue. I was very excited to get back into reefing after several years off. I had gotten tired of the guesswork and red sea seemed to offer up a logical, informed, and impressive approach. I bought in big time. I have the reefer xl525, all the RCP chemicals, used the reef mature program to cycle the tank..... All was fine until I reached an imbalance - 0 NO3, .06 PO4.

I've been trying for months to get some support from Red Sea with little to no luck. I've tried their web request forms, email addresses I've stumbled on, and various forums. Out of about 10 different attempts I've gotten one response from them. Basically they said that they didn't have anything for that situation and I had to find some other method of reducing phosphate. Doesn't seem like much of a 'program' if it doesn't address one of the hobbies biggest concerns....

Anyone else noticed red sea doesn't seem to participate in any of these forums anymore? Do you get any response going through their website?

I feel rather abandoned. Maybe abandoned isn't the right word since I never really had any support from the start. Misled, maybe??

Any suggestions on an alternate reef maintenance program that can address phosphate?
Well bud, that's the way carbon dosing works. Phosphate is not removed in the same ratio that nitrate is. Really simple to pop some Granular Ferric Oxide product into a reactor and resolve your issue. I recommend Rowaphos brand. Or you could dose Lanthanum Chloride.
Hard to rely on a company for this type of thing sounds like they gave you a reasonable response. There's a wealth of information out there, Google is a great tool. Use it. There is also a great search tool here on R2R you can use to read the many threads here on carbon dosing. I don't think anyone misled you, nor do I think it's ever safe to assume that you can 100% rely on any program or any company. You can only rely on yourself.

OP
OP
K

ks525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, I do appreciate the responses.

I do understand there are numerous ways to respond to phosphate. I guess my disappointment is that RS touts their Reef Care Program as an all inclusive recipe for starting and maintaining a reef. Yet, they have no answer for high phosphate???

I've been down the road of chasing parameters with numerous different devices, techniques, chemicals, etc... The RCP seemed like it would be a 'system' and not simply carbon dosing. I guess maybe I was expecting too much. The old responses 'everyone's setup is different' and 'google it' are still the standard?? I'm tired and frustrated with trial and error and really had hope for something that would take that out of the equation.

cmcoker,
how are you getting email response? Do you have a private email with the company. They seem to want you to go through their web form which generates an email. Out of a handful of attempts with this approach, I've only received one response. And even that one took over a week.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you even read my post? I gave you two proven, specific tools to get rid of Phosphate and you're complaining about being told to use Google? Sounds like you just want to come here to mope and continue to point the finger at Red Sea for not meeting your expectations. Good luck with that. :D

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like he's trying to get answers to me.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten pretty prompt responses from Red Sea. Heck, you can call them and they'll pickup or call back.

Also note, they had to deal with Harvey recently. Even with all that, they shipped me a replacement tank a day after getting back into the office (a couple days after Harvey hit). I don't know, I think they're good people. Call them, you'll see.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back