Red Sea Energy+ AB

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This product from Red Sea says that Nitrates and Phosphates won't increase through the use of - I'm wondering if anyone here has used this product and can confirm this?

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing Red Sea AB+ for about a week and I have noticed an increase in my nitrates and also my phosphorus level went from 20 ppb up to 51 today. I can't remember the conversion into phosphate as my wife tested it this afternoon and we have printed off the conversion chart from the Hanna website.

I'm also dosing ocean magic into the tank daily before using the Red Sea product, so one of the two is causing an increase for me and I won't know until this time next week which is the main culprit. Great stuff though! I spot feed my corals the other day and they went totally ballistic and loved the concoction.

I keep a journal and write everything down and before using the Red Sea product my phosphorus was at 20 ppb and the nitrates hang around 9-10 on my high range Hannah checker and today it was at 11.

It's kind of hard because I work on the road basically three or four days out of the week and I have my own feeding routine, and I'm not sure what my wife does for feeding, but hopefully she's following my guidelines which I believe she is... Anyways if I had to put money on it right now I would say it's the ab+ that's the culprit.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing Red Sea AB+ for about a week and I have noticed an increase in my nitrates and also my phosphorus level went from 20 ppb up to 51 today. I can't remember the conversion into phosphate as my wife tested it this afternoon and we have printed off the conversion chart from the Hanna website.

I'm also dosing ocean magic into the tank daily before using the Red Sea product, so one of the two is causing an increase for me and I won't know until this time next week which is the main culprit. Great stuff though! I spot feed my corals the other day and they went totally ballistic and loved the concoction.

I keep a journal and write everything down and before using the Red Sea product my phosphorus was at 20 ppb and the nitrates hang around 9-10 on my high range Hannah checker and today it was at 11.

It's kind of hard because I work on the road basically three or four days out of the week and I have my own feeding routine, and I'm not sure what my wife does for feeding, but hopefully she's following my guidelines which I believe she is... Anyways if I had to put money on it right now I would say it's the ab+ that's the culprit.
20ppb is 0.061ppm, 51ppb is 0.156ppm, so a 0.095 increase, which isn't low. Anyhow, please keep me posted on what you find and as the culprit. I haven't started dosing yet, so I might do a before and after reading of PO4 and NO3 and report back.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can increase nitrate. It shouldn't increase phosphate or at least to any noticeable degree as neither aminos, nor fatty acids contain phosphates. If they have phosphate, it would be from some mysterious vitamin as they don't say which vitamins are in the product.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

9, 10, and 11ppm are impossible to distinguish on the hanna hr nitrate. In reality, your nitrates are anywhere in between 7-13ppm.

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will warn about over dosing this stuff, I was using this in my frag system and thought that since it was ULNS I could get away with it

a month later my frag system had a terrible cyano outbreak, so just dose a bit less than what the bottle says

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will warn about over dosing this stuff, I was using this in my frag system and thought that since it was ULNS I could get away with it

a month later my frag system had a terrible cyano outbreak, so just dose a bit less than what the bottle says

I think that is pretty much might be the same with all amino products. I am able to dose a lot though due to the density of corals in my tank but have also had cyano pop up nearly every time I dose way too much consistently.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9, 10, and 11ppm are impossible to distinguish on the hanna hr nitrate. In reality, your nitrates are anywhere in between 7-13ppm.
Could you elaborate a little more on why the Hannah checker can't distinguish?

I'm learning myself after a 20-year hiatus. We didn't have fancy electronic Checkers back in the day. The guy that maintains all the parameters at the store I buy corals from suggested that I pick up the HR nitrate tester. He said grab the HR as the regular nitrate tester is a headache or something like that. So I took his advice and ordered HR.

I'm like a sponge and am absorbing all this information I can possibly get from R2R and I'm always open to any constructive criticism. ;)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you elaborate a little more on why the Hannah checker can't distinguish?

I'm learning myself after a 20-year hiatus. We didn't have fancy electronic Checkers back in the day. The guy that maintains all the parameters at the store I buy corals from suggested that I pick up the HR nitrate tester. He said grab the HR as the regular nitrate tester is a headache or something like that. So I took his advice and ordered HR.

I'm like a sponge and am absorbing all this information I can possibly get from R2R and I'm always open to any constructive criticism. ;)

The hanna HR has a (assuming absolute perfection in testing methodology) +/-2ppm margin of error.

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using a combo of ab plus and Tommy’s phyto… my phosphates went up and I also had a cyno outbreak. Not sure i noticed any difference in my corals other some looked irritated (SPS) likely due to the rise in phosphates. I usually run around .10 .20 i did not see an increase in nitrate.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This product from Red Sea says that Nitrates and Phosphates won't increase through the use of - I'm wondering if anyone here has used this product and can confirm this?
I saw immediate nitrate imcrease and slight in po4

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about Phosphates but my Nitrates went from 0 (Hanna) to 5-7 ppm. I am dosing for about 2 weeks now. Not a great sample size. I decided to start dosing of 75% of the recommended dosing. So at least in my short time of using it, it did increase my nitrates. I will increase my dosing to the full recommended level and see what happens in a week. If nitrates go up, then it will solve my low nitrate problem. My phosphates have gone up also but I started feeding Reef Roids at the same time so I don't know which is affecting more.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wary of this

I dosed it semi regularly and got some gnarly GHA outbreak

Could be unrelated but I try to be careful with it and not feed it like reef roids

PGD123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing it/target feeding with oyster feast 3x/wk, no real changes on nitrate (10-15ppm), or phosphate (.07)... 24g AIO, inverts seems to love it... keep on keeping on...

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing it/target feeding with oyster feast 3x/wk, no real changes on nitrate (10-15ppm), or phosphate (.07)... 24g AIO, inverts seems to love it... keep on keeping on...

Be careful with target feeding.

I did some target feeding with reef energy and ended up blasting a little blenny with it.

It spazzed out like it had fallen into a brine pool and died within 10 minutes or so.

Never seen anything like it. Maybe it was just a seizure or a heart attack.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back