Red Sea Foundation A Powder - HEAT

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been advised that mixing Red Sea A (powder) in 2L coke plastic bottle will resulted in the plastic bottle not being able to handle the heat which is emitted by the stock solution.

Is this the case?

red_sea_reef_foundation_a_1kg.jpeg

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been advised that mixing Red Sea A (powder) in 2L coke plastic bottle will resulted in the plastic bottle not being able to handle the heat which is emitted by the stock solution.

Is this the case?

red_sea_reef_foundation_a_1kg.jpeg
Calcium powders do get pretty warm, and 2liter bottles are pretty flimsy with heat. It might work a few times but pretty soon you'll end up with 2l of calcium water on your floor.

nrupaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Red Sea A - Calcium does create an exothermic reaction. in other words, releases a lot of heat. a 2 liter plastic bottle might not be able to handle it.

My advice - swing by a dollar store, pick up 2 cheapo cooking pots, 1 larger than the other. Fill the bottom of the larger pot with ice cubes, and put the smaller pot in there. Hopefully the smaller pot can easily hold 1/2 gallon of water.

Drop powder in and start stiring. the cooking pot and easily handle the heat, and the ice cubes continue to cool the water in the smaller pot. Red Sea A mixes very easily in cooler water vs warm. takes 5-10 mins tops.

FYI - Red Sea B - Alk, mixes more easily in warmer water. i typically drop the B powder in 1 gallon bottle of water, shake it up a little and leave next to the house furnace overnight. next morning its good to go. easy peasy.

nrupaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
could work. you don't need to really chill it. its just that the cooler water helps the powder to mix. Less stiring required.

As you add powder A, water gets warmer, even chilled water will become room temp quickly with the exothermic reaction. And instead of dissolving, the powder starts to turn crusty at bottom of your container. more work to break that crust and mixing.

I just like to make things as easy as possible. The ice cube method keeps water at the bottom of container cool which in turn prevents powder from crusting up. That helped me save time and effort of mixing the powder into stock solution. I am all about finding ways to make things easier. Advj of being a lazy individual :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back