Red Sea Foundation ABC+ / Good Stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Andy Reagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan on dosing ABC+ in addition to reef energy I dose daily and currently I mix kalkwasser and use it in my ATO. I have a brand new 4 part doser but I’m not sure exactly what I should continue or discontinue using and what should be set to dose or used in ATO. I have tons of frags and it is a small tank (RedSea max nano) hence my apprehension as levels can get out of wack quickly. Thx for any advice in advance.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan on dosing ABC+ in addition to reef energy I dose daily and currently I mix kalkwasser and use it in my ATO. I have a brand new 4 part doser but I’m not sure exactly what I should continue or discontinue using and what should be set to dose or used in ATO. I have tons of frags and it is a small tank (RedSea max nano) hence my apprehension as levels can get out of wack quickly. Thx for any advice in advance.
If your going to use the ABC+ powder, then I'd drop the kalk.

You might need to bump up your alk and mag from time to time. I just used Seachem "Reef Builder" and Seachem "Reef Advantage" mag power from time to time.

They are easy to use:
Seachem and Marine Depot has calculators for those products, on their websites.

The downside of the ABC+ is that you can't automate it. Red Sea has already tried to in their labs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why after I dose 30 gram of abc+ my alk drop ? My Ca was 380, after i dosed, it up to 400ppm. My alk was 7dkh, after dosed, it dropped to 6.5dkh. I have a 480 liter reef tanks with only 3 corals at the moment : GSP, toadstool and pipe organ.
Are you sure that you did not have an testing error before you dosed.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why it can't be automated?
It's a real fine power (that packs tight) and when you have it in the scoop you have to bang it out.
Air humidity would be an huge factor too.

I asked RedSea Kev (Kevin Davies) and he said they already tried too.

You could try an auto fish feeder, but sooner or later the daily dose will get off.

It's just too many factors.

(lol)
If it came in crystal form, I bet you could pull it off.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a real fine power (that packs tight) and when you have it in the scoop you have to bang it out.
Air humidity would be an huge factor too.

I asked RedSea Kev (Kevin Davies) and he said they already tried too.

You could try an auto fish feeder, but sooner or later the daily dose will get off.

It's just too many factors.

(lol)
If it came in crystal form, I bet you could pull it off.
You can't dissolve it in RODI and lose it as a liquid?

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't dissolve it in RODI and lose it as a liquid?
No.
It will precipitate... :(

It's has to stay power form, because it bumps up all of the big-3 at one time.

Andy Reagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually decided to go with reef foundation a(mag),b(kh/alk),c(cal) liquid automated through a doser. I have reef colors and reef energy still. Not sure if it would be wise to continue using reef energy if I use reef colors. Also, I discontinued use of kalk in the ATO.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually decided to go with reef foundation a(mag),b(kh/alk),c(cal) liquid automated through a doser. I have reef colors and reef energy still. Not sure if it would be wise to continue using reef energy if I use reef colors. Also, I discontinued use of kalk in the ATO.
Well,
The Red Sea salt's have 31 different trace elements.

So, The "Colors" Program provides your corals those 31 trace elements in between water changes, and you dose those to your calcium intake. If your hard core SPS, then Red Sea has test kits for dosing the "Colors" program, per all four bottles.

Reef Energy is an different thing:
It supplies nutrients and organics for your corals.
It also feeds your bacteria's too for your bio-load and can help dino's from taking a hold in one's reef.

So, I would not drop Reef Energy.

The ABC+ powder with "Colors" C & D is the same thing that your going to do, but you get away with 3 products instead of seven products.

Sounds like your on the right track with your dosing pumps.

Good Luck and wish you all the best.

Freddie

Last edited:

Beerock40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this on (12/7/2016) on another site.

I've been using this for about a month. I have to say I'm really impressed.
My corals are very happy and the reds have and intensified and deepened. I guess it's because of the + components in this product.

I've adjusted alk separately on two occasions (no big deal for these results).

I've tried about all other 2 part / balling methods out there. ABC+ has been second to none of these for me.

I have a 110 gallon (Holding 80 gallons of total water volume).

If my reef continues to show the growth and coloration that I've watch transition over the past month then I'm hooked.

Sometimes we and MYSELF hammer companies about issues or things we want or wanted in their products.

It also good to start a thread and tell a company this is a great product.

So... Thank You---- "Red Sea"---- for Foundation ABC+ and please buy my DOS pumps and holding tanks from me...
I have about the same amount of water in my tank. Was wonder how much you dose and how often and do you mix it with RO water then put it in that tank.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Since that post I've been dosing Red Sea Colors C & D. The ABC+ already has Colors A & B in it.

I still love this system and have to give RedSeaKev and big "Thank You" for the guidance he's provided me.

My DOS pumps have been collecting dust since last fall.

My Coral colors, growth and health have never been better. :D

I still dose up alk separately from time to time but no big deal.

It's so easy to use and gives awesome results if it balances out for you.

If you would like to give it a shot then you dose 1ml of Colors C & D to every 13.3 grams of the ABC+ powder.

BRS usually has a great price on the 5 KG bucket of the ABC+.

Reds, Greens, Blues, Purples, Oranges and Yellows. :)
Red Sea Colors.jpg

If you have questions or results then please post.

Regards, GoVols
Update:
Since that post I've been dosing Red Sea Colors C & D. The ABC+ already has Colors A & B in it.

I still love this system and have to give RedSeaKev and big "Thank You" for the guidance he's provided me.

My DOS pumps have been collecting dust since last fall.

My Coral colors, growth and health have never been better. :D

I still dose up alk separately from time to time but no big deal.

It's so easy to use and gives awesome results if it balances out for you.

If you would like to give it a shot then you dose 1ml of Colors C & D to every 13.3 grams of the ABC+ powder.

BRS usually has a great price on the 5 KG bucket of the ABC+.

Reds, Greens, Blues, Purples, Oranges and Yellows. :)
Red Sea Colors.jpg

If you have questions or results then please post.

Regards, GoVols
What is that called? Beautiful!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about the same amount of water in my tank. Was wonder how much you dose and how often and do you mix it with RO water then put it in that tank.

You have to dose it per your calcium's intake and keep a close eye on your alkalinity.

I moved over to a calcium reactor in the fall of 2017, but I think, I was dosing 20 grams a day.

You don't mix it in RO, just slowly poor your dose in a heavy flow area, like your sump.

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this on (12/7/2016) on another site.

I've been using this for about a month. I have to say I'm really impressed.
My corals are very happy and the reds have and intensified and deepened. I guess it's because of the + components in this product.

I've adjusted alk separately on two occasions (no big deal for these results).

I've tried about all other 2 part / balling methods out there. ABC+ has been second to none of these for me.

I have a 110 gallon (Holding 80 gallons of total water volume).

If my reef continues to show the growth and coloration that I've watch transition over the past month then I'm hooked.

Sometimes we and MYSELF hammer companies about issues or things we want or wanted in their products.

It also good to start a thread and tell a company this is a great product.

So... Thank You---- "Red Sea"---- for Foundation ABC+ and please buy my DOS pumps and holding tanks from me...
Thinking about starting this today... what’s your recommendation on dosing? I have 32 gal mixed but mostly softies and anemones... do you dilute the powder with ur tank water first and at strait to tank?

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about starting this today... what’s your recommendation on dosing? I have 32 gal mixed but mostly softies and anemones... do you dilute the powder with ur tank water first and at strait to tank?

You dose the right amount of grams to hold your calcium levels inline, then you may have to dose up your alk from time to time.

It should state how many grams per calcium you want to raise per every 26 gallons of water that you actually hold.

You dose the ABC+ power (in powder form) with the provided scoop, in a high flow area of your reef.

If you dilute it before, then all three parts / cal, alk, and mag would bind together and precipitate.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dose the right amount of grams to hold your calcium levels inline, then you may have to dose up your alk from time to time.

It should state how many grams per calcium you want to raise per every 26 gallons of water that you actually hold.

You dose the ABC+ power (in powder form) with the provided scoop, in a high flow area of your reef.

If you dilute it before, then all three parts / cal, alk, and mag would bind together and precipitate.
You still using this ABC+ product? I have a bucket of it in my garage and I’m thinking of trying it out for a new nano I plan to set up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back