Red Sea Foundation Test Kit (Ca, KH, Mg) initial impressions

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having difficulties getting consistent results from my API Reef Master Test Kit and Hanna Testers for these parameters, so I decided to get some help. I took some tank water to my LFS and asked them to show me how to test for these.

They generously showed me how to test, using the Red Sea Foundation Pro Test Kit. I won't bother to go into a detailed discussion of the tests processes here, as there are several YouTube videos that cover them extensively.
20220506_101658 (1).jpg

My first impression after watching the guy at my LFS was that these tests are fairly easy to conduct.

When I got the test kit home and saw the instructions and the results cards, I was somewhat disappointed. These are printed with such small text that an old guy like me could not hope to read them easily, even with my readers on.

Well, that was simple enough to remedy. I copied them on my home printer and enlarged them to a full 8.5x11 sheet.
20220506_103844 (1).jpg

20220506_105840 (1) (1).jpg

One small plus was the small cards were laminated to make them water resistant. I placed my printed sheets in plastic sheet protectors for the same effect.

I decided for my first set of tests I would test the saltwater I purchase from my LFS (Red Sea Coral Pro Salt). All the results came out what I consider fairly close to the manufacturer's stated parameters.

My Results (Manufacturer's results) Ca = 480 (450) Alk = 10.5 (11.5) Mag = 1400 (1350). Any variations can easily be attributed to how the LFS is mixing their salt, so I'm not concerned at this point. Not gonna chase numbers.

My next tests will be on my tank water. I'll update this review after that. In the meantime, I have washed and dried all the syringes and test vials in RO water. I'm storing the test vials filled with RO water and I have designated each vial for a specific test to avoid any possible cross-contamination.
20220506_120523.jpg

I'll be updating in a few days. In the meantime, any feedback is appreciated.

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea tests are all fairly easy to perform and reasonably consistent. I just refer to the pictogram instructions on the back of the reference cards.
Yes, the pictograms are helpful and even more so since I enlarged them as well.
20220507_055438.jpg

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Tonight I tested my DT 24g AIO parameters with the Red Sea Foundation Pro Multi test kit. I am very happy.

Alk=10.6
Calc=450
Mag=1400

This followed a 10% weekly wc on Sunday.

I only have a few encrusting corals and mostly softies and zoas, so I'm hoping I'll be able to maintain these parameters with only weekly wc.

The monti and several of the zoas are beginning to show substantial growth.

20220508_135740.jpg

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i tend to use this kit as well as the no3/po4 kits against my hanna egg checkers. they are very consistent in my usage

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being somewhat color blind, I cannot see the color shifts in these titration kits. Only reason I prefer the hanna kits. I use salifert for magnesium, and calcium as they are just a color shift(I can see that), and not color matching.

When I got back into reefing, I used the Red Sea foundation pro kit also. I found the glass tubes broke very easily when screwed onto the "holder", and they stained very easy. My only other gripe is when you buy replacement reagents, it's just reagents. No new test tubes, or syringes.

They work and are very consistent if your not color blind. Would be my go to kit if salifert wasn't cheaper.

Back