Red sea foundations powder questions

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm moving my tank over to the red sea coral program. Yesterday I mixed up the A, B and C powders. And I had some questions

B - alkalinity, should there be residue left over? I can't seem to find a definitive answer online. There is a bunch undissolved on the bottom.

Second question for alkalinity is usually when you add it to a tank it's white/cloudy when it hits the water. With this it's not. Is that normal?

C - magnesium, I read there should be some residue at the bottom, but I have quite a bit on the bottom. Looks like close to an inch. Normal?

Below is a photo of the dosing container. Alkalinity, calsium, magnesium

PXL_20220228_220057261.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time I would probably combine in a separate container and keep mixing until it dissolves completely (this make take repeated stirs over a day or two).

In my experience (using similar Nyos powder), if you end up with a lot of undissolved powder you either haven't mixed it enough -or- you added too much and oversaturated it. The solution in the latter scenario is to simply add more RO, mix and repeat until it finally dissolves.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed them in a separate container then poured it into the dosing container. It looked mixed when I poured it in then after a few minutes looked like the above photo.

I'll keep trying to stir I guess. I followed the directions on the container exactly.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed them in a separate container then poured it into the dosing container. It looked mixed when I poured it in then after a few minutes looked like the above photo.

I'll keep trying to stir I guess. I followed the directions on the container exactly.
I guess the only suggestion I could make is to let it sit for a day or two next time to ensure it's throughly mixed next time. Mainly because it's harder to mix when it's already in the dosing container and you don't necessarily want it want any solids passing through the tubes.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the only suggestion I could make is to let it sit for a day or two next time to ensure it's throughly mixed next time. Mainly because it's harder to mix when it's already in the dosing container and you don't necessarily want it want any solids passing through the tubes.
I've been trying to mix it in the container with a spoon. Not having much luck so far.

Good point on not wanting solids to pass through the tubes. I haven't programmed the doser yet. I was going to, but with things not dissolving completely I have held off.

I'll keep trying to mix it and next time I will have to find a better way of mixing than a wooden spoon in a bucket...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to mix it in the container with a spoon. Not having much luck so far.

Good point on not wanting solids to pass through the tubes. I haven't programmed the doser yet. I was going to, but with things not dissolving completely I have held off.

I'll keep trying to mix it and next time I will have to find a better way of mixing than a wooden spoon in a bucket...

Warming alk solutions generally allows more to dissolve. Any that don't dissolve on warming (assuming you followed the correct recipe for the given material) is like some trace of impurities that I would ignore.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i had the exact same happen to me, but with brightwell powders. i find myself having to shake the bottles i have them stores on a daily basis, but in my situation alk is the one with half an inch of solution at the bottom, while cal and mag just have small amounts of things that didn't dissolve. guess i'll have to keep stirring.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 118 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back