Red Sea Max 170 Sump water level

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob question...just filled up my max 170 with water. I noticed that the water level of the sump is perhaps 2 or 3 inches below that of the display tank. As a result the water trickling into the sump is ... I don’t want to say loud ... but noticeable.

Is this normal? Should the sump water level be this much lower than the tank and should there be a loud trickle of water as the display tank empties into it?

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm confused. I just filled my Red Sea until it floated the float valve.

You can quiet the drain by adjusting the gate valve.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused. I just filled my Red Sea until it floated the float valve.

You can quiet the drain by adjusting the gate valve.

As far as I can tell the max e 170 doesn't have a float valve and I don't see one in the sump diagram in the manual. There is a surface skimmer grill and a return outlet port which are the only way for the display water to return to the sump. They are both removeable but not adjustable. Id say my sump appears to be filled with water about 3 inches lower than the water level in the display tank.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found a part of the manual discussing the initial fill which states the water level in the sump should be at the level of the pump outlet nozzle. I am a good 3-4 inches below that so I am going to try adding so RO water to the sump. I'm just nervous because I only have an inch and a half of clearance left until the top of the display tank is overflowing.

Leemcg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank for almost a year. Don’t be nervous, I keep my Rear sump level just below the top of the return outlet. It’s been even higher at times. Never had an issue.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank for almost a year. Don’t be nervous, I keep my Rear sump level just below the top of the return outlet. It’s been even higher at times. Never had an issue.

Seems to be working...just had to add water to the sump instead of the display tank. Doesn't sound like someone is taking a leak now :D

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As far as I can tell the max e 170 doesn't have a float valve and I don't see one in the sump diagram in the manual. There is a surface skimmer grill and a return outlet port which are the only way for the display water to return to the sump. They are both removeable but not adjustable. Id say my sump appears to be filled with water about 3 inches lower than the water level in the display tank.

Interesting. Don't have a 170, but the information on the 170 says it has a top off, right on their website.

I have a 525... I just assumed it was the same across the board. Sorry about that.

With that said, it would be tough to overfill the display tank, unless your gate valve isn't opened enough.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not 100% positive but I think its the Reefer 170 that has the ATO...not the Max 170.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back