Red Sea max 250

brian414899

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting up this used Red Sea max 250.
I’m am 17 days in to cycling this tank nitrites are still above 2... I’ve used dr. Tim’s nitrifying bacteria and some hermit grabs to initiate cycle. They say you can add fish with dr Tim’s. I’m not seeing it. Tank seems to be going through it’s normal cycles. I’m just even sure how the hermit grabs are alive. I’m using the sticks protein skimmer with the intank media basket that’s stocked with media and chemi pure elite... temp is hard to regulate in this tank I’m having to turn the heater on the off ever couple of days. I’ve tried to different heaters. They both heat the tank above 82 degrees even with them set at 77 degrees... what the heck... looking for suggestions

current ammonia 0
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 20
PH 8.4
Sal 1.024
Calcium 450

image.jpg

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
Good looking tank, maybe you could try an Ink bird temp controller. If the temp around the tank is increasing it will heat up your tank.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is probably with your water cooling fans. I bought a used RSM C250 back in January, and have been trying to figure this out since that time. The big problem is that Red Sea no longer supports this tank (I've asked) and that NO ONE has a source of the water cooling fan kit. This is a problem for me, as the water cooling fan kit is compromised. If yours is not, you can try to buy the individual fans off of eBay. Some sellers have them, at a pretty high cost. You can also try for a DIY fan fix, but you'll need some soldering skills. Some intrepid users have even taped some fans over the hole where they've taken out the water cooling fans, but I'd be worried about creating an electrical shock, as the area is moisture-laden.

Also check the four fans on the side of your canopy. You can replace them, and probably will as yours wear out.

I'm sure you heater is fine. I've turned mine off, and the tank is a steady 81-82F throughout the day.

OP
OP
B

brian414899

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
Good looking tank, maybe you could try an Ink bird temp controller. If the temp around the tank is increasing it will heat up your tank.
Okay... but the T5 lighting is out the leds have been off the pumps have been replaced... it’s a seriously insulated tank.... I guess. My house is maybe 75 more like 72...

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How warm does your tank stay with the heaters off? I would echo the recommendation for an Ink Bird temp controller. Mine has worked so well. They aren't terribly expensive and do a GREAT job keeping the temp stable.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction: the problem may well be with your protein skimmer if you've got one of the original builds. Over the past month -- trying different combinations of equipment -- I've determined that mine adds 3C to tank temperatures.

T00LFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting up this used Red Sea max 250.
I’m am 17 days in to cycling this tank nitrites are still above 2... I’ve used dr. Tim’s nitrifying bacteria and some hermit grabs to initiate cycle. They say you can add fish with dr Tim’s. I’m not seeing it. Tank seems to be going through it’s normal cycles. I’m just even sure how the hermit grabs are alive. I’m using the sticks protein skimmer with the intank media basket that’s stocked with media and chemi pure elite... temp is hard to regulate in this tank I’m having to turn the heater on the off ever couple of days. I’ve tried to different heaters. They both heat the tank above 82 degrees even with them set at 77 degrees... what the heck... looking for suggestions

current ammonia 0
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 20
PH 8.4
Sal 1.024
Calcium 450

image.jpg
This tank runs hot. Manufacturer known issue. I keep first front cover open to keep temp under control.

Okiballa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have the Red Sea Max 250? Im looking for one but I dont think anyone sells them anymore.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have the Red Sea Max 250? Im looking for one but I dont think anyone sells them anymore.
Avoid. Red Sea no longer sells components or supports the system in any way: no one at Red Sea could even give me tips on dissassembling the canopy and instead directed me to Steve's (!); it costs a mint to upgrade to LED lighting (ballasts burn out frequently in the canopy); and essential elements (translation: water cooling fans, and the fans in general) corrode quickly. And, as noted, the tank has pretty severe overheating issues.

I managed to snag some water cooling fans and new pumps off of eBay, but I doubled the cost of the original $600 CAD cost with upgrades during the course of this year. If you're spending $1200-$1500 for a ten- to fifteen year-old tank, you may as well just buy a used Reefer with a mesh screen. Or a Waterbox. There are a lot of positives to the Max, but it's not worth chasing down unless you can get it for free and like DIY projects.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back