JoeSchmo's Reefer 170

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!

I introduced myself in the intro forum yesterday. Thank you all again for the warm welcome, I really do appreciate it. I took a long drive to pick up the reefer 170 today and couldn't be happier with it. When I say picked it up, I really mean that. The friendly, not-so-local fish store employee was rather disinterested in helping me load this sucker onto my truck. They were more than happy to watch me do it, though. There's a good chance I won't be able to stand up tomorrow. After another long drive and a considerable dose of Aleve, I was ready to go!

Tank (1).jpg

I've put together plenty of furniture in my day, so this cabinet had me very nervous. I figured there would be holes that refused to line up and plenty of language my mom wouldn't approve of, but there was no such thing. The cabinet is extremely well built and a breeze to put together. Maybe I just got lucky, but I was very impressed. It sits perfectly level as well.

Tank (2).jpg

The sump and tank appear to be in great condition. I don't see any scratches or imperfections, so that was a relief. I went ahead and just set the plumbing where it should go to make sure I had everything. I've never had a sump before, so I'm a bit apprehensive about all that moving water and plumbing.

Tank (3).jpg

The next step was getting the Red Sea LED 90 on the tank, which was probably the most difficult part of the entire project. The app gave me plenty of trouble, and I somehow managed to mount the bracket on backward. I eventually got it figured out and cranked it up. Talk about a beautiful light. If I run that thing at 100% I'll wake the neighbors. Then, I did what everybody does after setting up a new tank - stood back and admired it. (Insert choir of angels sound here...)

Tank (4).jpg

When I had my Biocube (RIP), this was the tank I dreamed about. I'm thrilled to actually have it. I do have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with. Should I do a leak check on the tank before adding any rocks and sand? If so, do I need to use RODI water or can I use tap water and then drain and dry it when I'm done? Or do I put everything in and hope for the best? What's the best way of doing that? Red Sea says the plumbing can simply be hand tightened. I'm wondering if that is true or if I should be using plumber's tape on the connections. I don't want to use tape if I really shouldn't be using it. Does anyone have experience with that?

My biggest concern right now is the plumbing and wire management. There is not a lot of room in the cabinet. I'm going to really take my time and get the wire management as clean as I can. I suffer from a mild case of severe OCD when it comes to wires. My RODI unit won't be here until the end of the week, so there is no rush. Those are my questions right now, the first of many more I'm sure.

Once again, I appreciate the warm welcome and any advice that can be offered.

Cheers!
Joe

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi looks great!!..as far as plumbing connections are they unions or threaded fittings? leak test since waiting on ro ,ok to use tap water just dont use any filter material,socks,etc :)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
oh yeah, link this ,and get your build thread badge :cool:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
now somehow:rolleyes:i do not remember how go into account and paste link to get your badge:)

OP
OP
JoeSchmo45

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Thanks, fishguy242! I did some more research and it looks like the plumbing is supposed to be simply hand tightened. They are all threaded connections with rubber o-rings. I was able to get the plumbing situated (at least I hope!) and the initial wiring done. I've filled the overflow about halfway and am waiting to see if there are any leaks with those connections. I'll probably give that a day before filling the main tank and sump. As always, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
T (1).jpg
T (2).jpg

OP
OP
JoeSchmo45

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leak test is underway. No issues so far (fingers crossed again).
B (7).jpg
B (8).jpg

I'm really curious what setting I should be running the Varios 2 pump at. I've got it on 3 right now, but not sure if that's what I should stick with. Does anyone familiar with the pump have a suggestion for the power setting?

Thanks!
Joe

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not familiar but once full,you can play and check which works best ;)

OP
OP
JoeSchmo45

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 170 is coming along nicely. I've had water in it for just under 24 hours. No leaks and the temperature is staying very steady. The drainpipe valve is a challenge to get set just right. Once it's set, however, the tank is absolutely silent. I'm happy about that since it's in the main living space of the house.

Tomorrow, I'll drain the tank and let it dry out. I have dry rock ready to go and sand on the way. RODI unit should be here Wednesday. Hopefully, by the end of next week, we'll be underway with the cycle.
IMG_E7626.JPG

OP
OP
JoeSchmo45

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not familiar but once full,you can play and check which works best ;)

Thanks, fishguy242! After taking forever to get the drainpipe flow all set, I bumped up the return pump flow. I don't know what I was thinking because that put me right back to square one on setting the flow. Oh well, I'll get it figured out eventually. I'm extremely impressed with the Varios pump. It's very quiet.

The system definitely needs a powerhead. There are a few tiny bits of stuff at the bottom of the tank and they're not moving much at all. I'll work on getting good flow once I know what the scaping looks like.

Cheers!
Joe

OP
OP
JoeSchmo45

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Update for today: After having water in the tank and testing the system for a couple days, I went ahead and emptied the tank and dried it out. That ended up being less of a task than I thought it would be. I also moved the power bar for my LED's outside of the cabinet because it gets pretty hot. I saw on the forum that some folks had serious issues with heat, so I'm hoping to avoid that. I added a small led light to the tank cabinet so I don't have to keep using my phone flashlight to see in there!
Tank.JPG

Then it was on to scaping, which is a nightmare for me. I've tried every imaginable combination. This is where I left off:

Scape 1 (1).jpg
Scape 1 (2).jpg
Scape 1 (4).jpg

I'm very open to suggestions. You won't hurt my feelings. I've got other rocks to work with. I prefer a minimal approach with the rocks, but would likely add a little island to the opening in the middle. I can't decide if I like the little arm sticking out in the front. It does make it look better from the sides. Without the arm and with a little island it looks like this:

Scape 2.jpg

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Joe

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, i like the first one w the arm :cool:

OP
OP
JoeSchmo45

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!

Today has been a VERY long day. I received my RODI unit and my sand, so that could mean only one thing - time to fill 'er up! I started at about 2:00 PM and knew that this would be an all-nighter. It's almost 2 AM right now and I am officially DONE filling the tank.

I was worried about not having enough sand, but I think it's come out looking very good. I have a shallow sand bed, which is what I was hoping for. I got to filtering my water right away this afternoon and getting the sand ready to go. This little filtration unit worked quite well. I don't have the room for a big saltwater station, so this will have to do for now.

Water.jpg

Fill.jpg

Over the next several hours, I made RODI water, mixed the salt, and slowly filled the tank. I knew I could fill the tank over a couple of days, but I just wanted to get it done with. I was very pleasantly surprised with the sand. Some research on the forum showed me that some people say "rinse the sand, you idiot!" while others say, "There's no need, you idiot!" I wasn't sure who to believe, so I ended up going with the suggestion on the bag - don't rinse the sand. I'm glad I did because I can see that it will be clear by tomorrow. I was very careful when introducing the water, letting it flow over the rocks and trying my best not to disturb the sand. After more hours than I care to admit, I got it all filled up.

Done.jpg

I'm very happy with the rock scape. It looks good from all sides of the tank (In my opinion), and I suppose that's all that matters. I have a feeling the water will be looking very clear by tomorrow afternoon. Time will tell. My plan right now is to add a bottle of bacteria tomorrow, then add ammonia as needed as I test and see what my numbers are. When my numbers are looking good, I'll introduce a clean up crew and two clowns will be my first tank mates. If there is something that I'm missing, please let me know! I'm amazed at how much easier this is after having done a saltwater tank already. I'm going to go slow and steady and hope for the best.

Cheers,
Joe

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looks great!!!

OP
OP
JoeSchmo45

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great!!!

Thank you! The water looked much more clear today, though not completely so. I got the protein skimmer and MP10 in the mail today. They are in and ready to go. From what I understand, I shouldn't run the protein skimmer during the cycle.

IMG_7683.jpg

I added some bottled bacteria today and after testing tomorrow, will add a dose of bottled ammonia. I'm very interested to see how long this fishless cycle will take. My last cycle was with very live rock and sand. It was great, but came with plenty of hitch hikers (good and bad). I'm counting today as the official birthday of my reef adventure 2.0!

IMG_7680.jpg

OP
OP
JoeSchmo45

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the cycle begin! As much as it pains me to do so, I've turned the lights out for good while the tank cycles. I added bacteria and ammonia yesterday. Today was my first testing day.

IMG_7687.jpg

I forgot how much fun it is deciphering colors with these tests. Today was easy, thankfully.

Temp: 78
Salinity: 1.025
pH: 8
Ammonia: 2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

I'm going to test daily until the ammonia drops to zero or close to it. Then I will dose again to bring it up to 2 and see how quickly it gets back to zero. If it's able to do that in 24 hours, I'll consider it cycled. If anything sounds bad about that plan, please let me know!

Cheers!
Joe

OP
OP
JoeSchmo45

JoeSchmo45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day 4 of the cycle and I'm starting to see some changes. Nitrites suddenly appeared this evening.
IMG_7703.jpg

I also have my QT up and ready to go. I got the heater dialed in and will be seeding a sponge filter in my sump. Everything seems to be on track! I'll empty this water out to let it dry and fill it with DT water when the first live arrivals show up. I sure wish I had a good LFS near me, but I don't. I'll have to mail order anything that goes in the tank.

IMG_7702.jpg

Good things come to those who wait, so that's all I can do for now!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back