Red Sea Max E-170 Return and Circulation Pumps: Balanced?

89thohio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is a Red Sea Max E-170. I have installed the sump upgrade kit. My question is how to balance the pumps: the one in the rear sump and the one in the undertank sump. I want a tank turnover of about 18 times per hour with our seahorses, so with our tank volume the pump should be about 1000 gallons per hour. In the bottom sump I have a vectra s2 that can reach that target. However, to match the nyos viper 2.0 in the rear sump which maxs out at 525 gallons per hour, I have to set the vectra s2 at its lowest setting. Thus I don't get the turnover we need. What should I do? Get a matching vectra s2 for the rear sump?
Thanks for all the help

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for any Red Sea folks to help.

Do the pumps' outputs need to match for some reason? Maybe I'm confused.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what I have read I believe that if you have the upgrade you would run all the equipment in the under cabinet sump. That being said you would treat the integrated sump as a large overflow box and rely on the other sump's return pump. You could use the old sump space to house a hearer and maybe some extra filtration equipment, but I think it would be overkill.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back