Red Sea Max E260 Stocking List

gmiller12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

First time posting here and second time setting up a reef tank. My first tank was a small 10g cube and I finally upgraded to the Red Sea Max E260 (69gal). I added and plumbed a Trigger Systems Triton 26 V2 sump with a Reef Octopus 110int skimmer and Varios4 return pump. I used Marco dry rock for the scape along with some pieces I already had and some cycled rock from a LFS in the sump. For power heads, I have an MP40 and a Tunze Nanostream 6040. The tank is fishless cycling now and so far so good.

Starting to think about my stocking list for the tank. Below is what I was thinking. I will also add some corals based on what fish I end up stock.

(In no specific order)
  • Ocellaris Clownfish x2
  • Coral Beauty Angelfish
  • Mandarin Dragonete (long term goal depending on my success and pod population after about a year)
  • Midas Blenny
  • Orchid Dottyback
  • Green Blue Chromis x3
Any advice, criticism, or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Also what order would you introduce these fish into the tank? Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
G

gmiller12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank pic
IMG_7251.jpeg

MYosh88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gmiller12345! I have an E260 that is 1 year 10 months old (transfer, not a ground up set up). I do not have an undercabinet sump, just the back reservoir. My current fish list:
  • 3 Pajama cardinals
  • 2 Ocellaris
  • 1 Melanurus wrasse
  • 1 Watchman goby
  • 1 Royal gramma
I would first point out that the display volume of the E260 is 56 gal (the rear reservoir accounts for 13 gal of the 69 gal total). The generally recommended (see LiveAquaria) tank size for a Coral Beauty/Flame angel is 70 gal, but I suppose you could try it. An alternative I've considered is the Pygmy (Cherub) angel. Regarding the Chromis, it's a common observation that if you start out with a group, you will eventually end up with just one. That was my sad experience - despite their reputation, they just don't seem to get along in an aquarium once they get used to their surroundings. Two of the Pajamas occasionally pick on the third, but the tank is big enough for that Pajama to avoid the other two. I have never kept an Orchid dottyback, because of their reputation for aggressiveness. I suggest considering a Royal gramma instead - it has similar coloration. I thought about adding a Mandarin to my tank, but the pods I saw on the glass decreased by 90% after I added the Pajamas. You will just have to wait and see.

BTW, I have two rock islands in my tank also. On the larger island nearer to my MP10, I have non-acro SPS and LPS. On the smaller island I have softies. If you have not already done so, I suggest looking at recent BRS videos on how to minimize the ugly phase.

Best wishes and hope this helps!

OP
OP
G

gmiller12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gmiller12345! I have an E260 that is 1 year 10 months old (transfer, not a ground up set up). I do not have an undercabinet sump, just the back reservoir. My current fish list:
  • 3 Pajama cardinals
  • 2 Ocellaris
  • 1 Melanurus wrasse
  • 1 Watchman goby
  • 1 Royal gramma
I would first point out that the display volume of the E260 is 56 gal (the rear reservoir accounts for 13 gal of the 69 gal total). The generally recommended (see LiveAquaria) tank size for a Coral Beauty/Flame angel is 70 gal, but I suppose you could try it. An alternative I've considered is the Pygmy (Cherub) angel. Regarding the Chromis, it's a common observation that if you start out with a group, you will eventually end up with just one. That was my sad experience - despite their reputation, they just don't seem to get along in an aquarium once they get used to their surroundings. Two of the Pajamas occasionally pick on the third, but the tank is big enough for that Pajama to avoid the other two. I have never kept an Orchid dottyback, because of their reputation for aggressiveness. I suggest considering a Royal gramma instead - it has similar coloration. I thought about adding a Mandarin to my tank, but the pods I saw on the glass decreased by 90% after I added the Pajamas. You will just have to wait and see.

BTW, I have two rock islands in my tank also. On the larger island nearer to my MP10, I have non-acro SPS and LPS. On the smaller island I have softies. If you have not already done so, I suggest looking at recent BRS videos on how to minimize the ugly phase.

Best wishes and hope this helps!
Thanks! Very helpful! I will check out the BRS video

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dottybacks are sometimes jerks ….
….maybe leave those murdering, self destructing , uronema infected chromis in the ocean
…..list looks fine otherwise

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yea I will leave the Chromis out. Any suggestions besides cardinals in their place?
you looking for schooling fish? I have those dark blue Caribbean chromis, they seem to be less uronema prone and slightly less murderous/ self destructive…but again, slightly …might be tight in that tank anyway…
sometimes some of the cardinals like bangais can get funky in tight quarters…..sometimes ….maybe engineer gobies?

OP
OP
G

gmiller12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you looking for schooling fish? I have those dark blue Caribbean chromis, they seem to be less uronema prone and slightly less murderous/ self destructive…but again, slightly …might be tight in that tank anyway…
sometimes some of the cardinals like bangais can get funky in tight quarters…..sometimes ….maybe engineer gobies?
Doesn’t have to be schooling. Engineer gobies look interesting, will read more about them. Thanks!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

First time posting here and second time setting up a reef tank. My first tank was a small 10g cube and I finally upgraded to the Red Sea Max E260 (69gal). I added and plumbed a Trigger Systems Triton 26 V2 sump with a Reef Octopus 110int skimmer and Varios4 return pump. I used Marco dry rock for the scape along with some pieces I already had and some cycled rock from a LFS in the sump. For power heads, I have an MP40 and a Tunze Nanostream 6040. The tank is fishless cycling now and so far so good.

Starting to think about my stocking list for the tank. Below is what I was thinking. I will also add some corals based on what fish I end up stock.

(In no specific order)
  • Ocellaris Clownfish x2
  • Coral Beauty Angelfish
  • Mandarin Dragonete (long term goal depending on my success and pod population after about a year)
  • Midas Blenny
  • Orchid Dottyback
  • Green Blue Chromis x3
Any advice, criticism, or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Also what order would you introduce these fish into the tank? Thanks for the help!

I think the stocking list is good!

My max E 260 stocking for reference:

3 chromis
Azure damsel
Another damsel (forget the name)
Engineer goby
2 maroon clowns
Kleini butterfly
Watchmen goby
Mandarin dragonet
2 arrow crabs

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_3392.jpeg
    IMG_3392.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3301.jpeg
    IMG_3301.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2565.jpeg
    IMG_2565.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
G

gmiller12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the stocking list is good!

My max E 260 stocking for reference:

3 chromis
Azure damsel
Another damsel (forget the name)
Engineer goby
2 maroon clowns
Kleini butterfly
Watchmen goby
Mandarin dragonet
2 arrow crabs
Thanks for sharing! Do you have any issues with the engineer goby getting sand everywhere? My rockwork is all on the glass bottom and well secured together so not worried about that but I have read they get sand all over corals.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Do you have any issues with the engineer goby getting sand everywhere? My rockwork is all on the glass bottom and well secured together so not worried about that but I have read they get sand all over corals.
Mine no she never did. The tank is currenly without corals do to a weird ph shift I had, but when they were in there she never got sand on them. She had a nice big hole under a zoa garden. She seems to have grown out of the digging, she uses a rock cave to sleep and during the day hovers in the water column waiting for food! Love her, thinking of moving her into my 125 with corals

MYosh88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yea I will leave the Chromis out. Any suggestions besides cardinals in their place?
For this volume tank, I've had a hard time finding a fish that I can keep in numbers > 2 (very interesting suggestions in the thread!). ReefDork on YouTube just called Pajamas one of the Most Boring Saltwater Fishes. After having my Pajamas for a while, I would say there is a grain of truth to this :grinning-squinting-face:. On the other hand, my Pajamas are getting along, and seem to be reasonably happy, so maybe boring isn't all bad in this case.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back