Red Sea Max Nano Build Amsterdamnanoreefer

amsterdamnanoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Will be sharing my progress on my 75L red sea max nano. It's been running for 2.5 weeks now but got the inventory from someone else. Have made a few upgrades already and will share weekly videos on my instagram @amsterdamnanoreefer and will post some updates here as well.

After running my tank for 2.5 weeks still got some things I'm not sure about;
- after adding the custom baffle and the filter floss it seems the only thing which gets stuck in my filter sock is cope pods, not sure if other people experienced this as well but I just took mine out. have another 3d printed holder where I might place some more filter media
- the skimmer is pulling out quite a lot, getting a full skimmer reservoir in 2-3 days. the bioload is quite high but wonder if this will go down in time or not as the filtration picks up. right now the ATO refills, any ideas on if this affects salinity? I guess it does but that's just a first guess
- still not sure how much cleaning crew to add, I'm waiting 2 weeks in between and will be adding some more sand sifting snails and 1-2 larger ones.

That's all for now :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- after adding the custom baffle and the filter floss it seems the only thing which gets stuck in my filter sock is cope pods, not sure if other people experienced this as well but I just took mine out. have another 3d printed holder where I might place some more filter media
I’d keep it out until about the 3rd or 4th month. That’s when things start picking up.

- the skimmer is pulling out quite a lot, getting a full skimmer reservoir in 2-3 days. the bioload is quite high but wonder if this will go down in time or not as the filtration picks up.
This will get better as the system matures. Feed a little less for now.

right now the ATO refills, any ideas on if this affects salinity? I guess it does but that's just a first guess
ATO’s refill freshwater, because when water evaporates the salt stays in the system. It will not affect salinity as long as you’re topping off with freshwater.

- still not sure how much cleaning crew to add, I'm waiting 2 weeks in between and will be adding some more sand sifting snails and 1-2 larger ones.
I usually add about 75 members to 100/G, but the tank won’t start growing much algae until the 3rd or 4th month. First two months there’s not much happening, but don’t be deceived. :) The ugly phase is coming especially if you started with dry rock.

OP
OP
A

amsterdamnanoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d keep it out until about the 3rd or 4th month. That’s when things start picking up.

This will get better as the system matures. Feed a little less for now.

ATO’s refill freshwater, because when water evaporates the salt stays in the system. It will not affect salinity as long as you’re topping off with freshwater.

I usually add about 75 members to 100/G, but the tank won’t start growing much algae until the 3rd or 4th month. First two months there’s not much happening, but don’t be deceived. :) The ugly phase is coming especially if you started with dry rock.
First off thank you for your elaborate response, much appreciated!

A bit of clarification; so the tank was already running for about a year but when I got it the nitrates were through the roof.
The question around how salinity was affected was in reaction to the amount of skim produced which may or may not contain salt. My guess is it does.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off thank you for your elaborate response, much appreciated!

A bit of clarification; so the tank was already running for about a year but when I got it the nitrates were through the roof.
The question around how salinity was affected was in reaction to the amount of skim produced which may or may not contain salt. My guess is it does.

Put some Siporax in there for the Nitrates.

After far as the skimmer affecting salinity, it
won’t effect it much unless you’re skimming super wet and filling the collection cup daily. In that case you would eventually need to correct salinity. Otherwise normal
skimming will have very minimal effect.

OP
OP
A

amsterdamnanoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some Siporax in there for the Nitrates.

After far as the skimmer affecting salinity, it
won’t effect it much unless you’re skimming super wet and filling the collection cup daily. In that case you would eventually need to correct salinity. Otherwise normal
skimming will have very minimal effect.
Thanks for the suggestion, have already added 2kg of porous media with trace elements in the sump and will probably add some more as there is still a bit of room. Didn't think the skimming would affect it too much initially too but then started getting a cup full every 2-3 days and the tank is quite small, that starts adding up quite rapidly. Have been doing sizeable water changes (15-20%) which should help with the salinity as well. Will keep an eye on it though!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Will be sharing my progress on my 75L red sea max nano. It's been running for 2.5 weeks now but got the inventory from someone else. Have made a few upgrades already and will share weekly videos on my instagram @amsterdamnanoreefer and will post some updates here as well.

- the skimmer is pulling out quite a lot, getting a full skimmer reservoir in 2-3 days. the bioload is quite high but wonder if this will go down in time or not as the filtration picks up. right now the ATO refills, any ideas on if this affects salinity? I guess it does but that's just a first guess

That's all for now :)
Following along!

OP
OP
A

amsterdamnanoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 3: quick update, nitrates finally coming down to 50, can't wait for them to get to go down further so that I can add some more corals. Overall quite pleased with how things are going, especially with how clear the water is. Beefed up the cleaning crew. Clowns are doing great and loving their anemone. The second anemone recovery is going the right way. Looks like my images and movies are too big, for some tank shots please check out my insta.

Still trying to figure out what's the best settings for the lighting. Running 75% blue 30% white now on the stock RS50. Also looking for some ideas on corals, especially the right side (we look at it from the couch). Was thinking some mushrooms, perhaps zoa's or green goniapora IMG_18DB39CE2523-1.jpeg

Attachments

• MVI_6387.MOV
    40.5 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

amsterdamnanoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's a little two month update; nitrates have come down to 5-10, all inhabitants are very happy. I still think the bioload is quite high for such a small tank and i'm having a bit of an algae problem. have to clean the glass at least once per day and have to empty the skimmer every other day. Not feeding a lot, only a tiny bit of misces every day.

Anemone 1: doing really well, massive growth, thick tentacles and has colored up nicely
Anemone 2: was near dead when I got it, not even recognisable as an anemone but has recovered very well and now has about 4 cm tentacles and a happy clown to host it

Clowns: getting along well but still quite territorial
damsels: going really well
Royal gramma: coming out of his cave a lot more and had a damaged rear fin which completely recovered

Kenya trees: insane growth at least twice as big as 2 months ago
mushroom corals: doing well, got the first baby
candy cane: doing well but very little growth
favia: looking good but also very little growth

will be adding some more corals next week

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back