Red Sea Max S-650 LED

Johny_Dough

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the journey starts here. 11/29/2021

I've done Freshwater Planted Tanks on and off for 20 plus years now but the kid won a bet with me and made me promise to do a reef tank. And since I can't break a promise ;-) ...

I wanted a Reefer S850 but I could not make the numbers work so I put my deposit on Red Sea Max S-650. Of course right after I put the money down I saw the Cade Neptune Elite offer and had regret right away. But is what it is and I'm committed now.

Intention will be mix Reef but to start out slow as this in my first go at it. The kid wants to add a shark... I told him think smaller ;-)

Build as it currently stands:
Max S-650
Apex
Trident
Dos & DDDR x 2
Neptune Flow management and flow control
Neptune Leak detection
Arctic 1/3 HP chiller
MRC Phosphate Reactor
Aqua UV 57
2 x Heater

I want to run a refugium but I guess i need to see what kind of space is left in the sump to plan it.

Also have a BRS 5 stage RO on order.

I think I'm going with Real Reef Rock. While I wait for it to come in I'm planning the mixing stations and quarantine tank.

Would love any in put as this is my first hurrah...

Images as I get em...

OP
OP
Johny_Dough

Johny_Dough

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daddy got some early presents this year...

IMG_0265.jpeg

OP
OP
Johny_Dough

Johny_Dough

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Phase 1 complete... Stand is built and Tank is in. The guys @AquariumCity have been great. Dang this tank is big and heavy.
Next plumbing and rock work.
IMG_0309.jpeg
IMG_0310.jpeg

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

How many people did it take to get that thing on a stand? Right now it's only 2 of us but I don't think that's gonna cut it lol. I think we might need 4 people total.

Hopefully getting mine within the next few weeks (think it ships out this Friday according to BRS).

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way we could have done it without 4 people. It’s crazy heavy.
I have a 6 year old S650, and yes they are crazy heavy and you need 4 strong people really

I have heard of them being lifted by 2 but they were very strong body builder types!

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above and as per the instructions you need at least 6 inches for maintenance of that ‘stupid’ down flow valve.

Now if I were you, before you get the system wet, and while your doing the build, take the valve out of service and make it obsolete,then firstly you can push the tank right back to the wall. You will also never have to clean it which would be a nightmare. I’ve never cleaned mine because of the potential for problems

What I mean here is, install a gate valve on the main downpipe in the sump compartment and then turn the RS downpipe valve to fully open. The flow is then easily controlled by the new gate valve.

I did this about 2 years ago when the tank was wet and ‘live’ and It’s a far more potentially problematic job then

Im suprised they still use that valve but….

See top right below
F6DACEAA-657F-4289-8190-4CA38E128950.jpeg

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above and as per the instructions you need at least 6 inches for maintenance of that ‘stupid’ down flow valve.

Now if I were you, before you get the system wet, and while your doing the build, take the valve out of service and make it obsolete,then firstly you can push the tank right back to the wall. You will also never have to clean it which would be a nightmare. I’ve never cleaned mine because of the potential for problems

What I mean here is, install a gate valve on the main downpipe in the sump compartment and then turn the RS downpipe valve to fully open. The flow is then easily controlled by the new gate valve.

I did this about 2 years ago when the tank was wet and ‘live’ and It’s a far more potentially problematic job then

Im suprised they still use that valve but….

See top right below
F6DACEAA-657F-4289-8190-4CA38E128950.jpeg
I think I see it. Is it the valve with the orange wire draped over it? I'll pick up a gate valve today

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I see it. Is it the valve with the orange wire draped over it? I'll pick up a gate valve today
Yes with the red round dial. It’s 40mm, I’m ‘assuming’ it’s the same that’s shipped to the US

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Idea - plumbing Thursday So I will take a look at it...
I would Johny, honestly, I don’t know why they send them out with that valve, other than it’s a cost issue, because gate valves aren’t cheap certainly here in the Uk, but the inconvenience…….

Just make sure you open it to full open, although you can still adjust it your not actually taking it out.

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would Johny, honestly, I don’t know why they send them out with that valve, other than it’s a cost issue, because gate valves aren’t cheap certainly here in the Uk, but the inconvenience…….

Just make sure you open it to full open, although you can still adjust it your not actually taking it out.
Hey so I just messaged you about the gate valve because I don't want to take over this thread. Just had a couple questions on how you did it.

OP
OP
Johny_Dough

Johny_Dough

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Tank up and running. Adding Tunze 3152 nano ATO on Saturday otherwise it's first visitor is doing well.

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpeg
    IMG_0351.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
Johny_Dough

Johny_Dough

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing in... Water station built... Water in... Scape done curtesy of Harison at Aquarium City... Next up lights Filtration and Apex set up... Haven't Figured out how to take a good photo yet but it's a start....

Tank 01_23_22 copy.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 140 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.3%
Back