Red Sea / Max S-Series / Discussion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My C-Skim made my ears bleed....well, not exactly the C-Skim, but the complaining from She Who Casts No Shadow !
Lol!!
She Who Cast No Shadow, let me buy an Bubble King after an year with the C-Skim... :D

She wanted quiet, and we got dead silence... :)

naecO rM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Just thing to buy Red Sea S-Max or Reefer. Can anyone tell me how is a maintenance of AutoTopUp water compensation compartment at the back of the tank in S-Max ?
Is it easy to clean? No leaks, how easy and handu to refill that reservoir?
How to maintain and any issues with water flow pumps in S-Max?
How is the included skimmer, is it powerful enough for sps reef?
Please any experience.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Just thing to buy Red Sea S-Max or Reefer. Can anyone tell me how is a maintenance of AutoTopUp water compensation compartment at the back of the tank in S-Max ?
Please any experience.

I've got an 2013 S-Series and have never felt the need to clean out the Auto Top Off reservoir / no leaks and just pour your RO/DI water in the top hatch. You sure would not want to kalk dose using the ATO. You could clean it out, but it would be and chore.

The S-Series are flow monsters and the main display pump has been running for years, but you need maintain it.

The skimmer will do the job, but it is loud to today's standards.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@naecO rM

You can see inside the glass of auto top off, from the back, and you can service it, but I've never needed to clean it out.

Just remember, an S-Series must be at least 6" away from your wall, behind the tank.

naecO rM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@naecO rM

You can see inside the glass of auto top off, from the back, and you can service it, but I've never needed to clean it out.

Just remember, an S-Series must be at least 6" away from your wall, behind the tank.
Thank you for that very important detail.
I have about 7" on both sides, but don't have the 6" space at the back of the tank, between back wall and tank.
[emoji848]

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that very important detail.
I have about 7" on both sides, but don't have the 6" space at the back of the tank, between back wall and tank.
[emoji848]
Well,
An Reefer might be the way to go.

If you only got 7" on the left and right and your putting the tank in an hole.
You would need to slip on the front (top and bottom) trim's to the tank, before it went on the stand.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Please any experience.
The S Series are sleek and beautiful and no wires showing anywhere. (dont look at the back! Lol)

Everything works well but the skimmer is a bit noisy by modern standards so although it works, most eventually change it.

The auto top off is easy to fill and works well (I use it as back up now with Tunze Osmolator as primarily)

Overall the flow produced from the pumps is good and you don’t need anything else in there.

Basically it’s as @GoVols says above.

Last edited:

HM1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, even though I don't have an S series, I do have the Max E 260 Series. It is 14 months old. My kids and husband bought me the Red Sea sump for it in March. I have the Skimz Monzter SM 161 skimmer. I also have the BRS GFO and carbon reactor. I am such a newbie in this hobby and it has been overwhelming sometimes, buy my LFS has been great in helping me with various issues.

20180519_110420.jpg

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, @HM1

Your Max E-260, looks great... ;Woot ;Woot

I'm blessed with an awesome local reef shop too.

(lol)
Bring on all the Max, Red Sea, tanks!!

:)

Last edited:

HM1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to put a screen on the top because I had several fish jump out. I found the first of two midas binnys in the my cats litter box. I guess the cats did not know what to do with it so they buried it. Don't really like the screen top but hate losing the fish.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, even though I don't have an S series, I do have the Max E 260 Series. It is 14 months old. My kids and husband bought me the Red Sea sump for it in March. I have the Skimz Monzter SM 161 skimmer. I also have the BRS GFO and carbon reactor. I am such a newbie in this hobby and it has been overwhelming sometimes, buy my LFS has been great in helping me with various issues.

20180519_110420.jpg

Very nice looking tank!

Frizzles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to put a screen on the top because I had several fish jump out. I found the first of two midas binnys in the my cats litter box. I guess the cats did not know what to do with it so they buried it. Don't really like the screen top but hate losing the fish.

I put a screen top on mine too. I lost some fish in my prior tank (and never found out what happened to them), but I never looked in the litter box!!!! I just assumed the CUC had gotten to them.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180519_110420.jpg
Welcome to R2R @HM1 !

I had the Max E260 for a few months before getting hooked and upgrading and you have a great looking tank there.

Maybe start a build thread if you get chance and we like, sorry NEED lots of pictures! Lol

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a screen top on mine too. I lost some fish in my prior tank (and never found out what happened to them), but I never looked in the litter box!!!! I just assumed the CUC had gotten to them.

I also placed a net cover onces I started to have gobies and wrasses, the net does not look great from the top in fact I never see it and I rather have it than lose a fish.

HM1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also placed a net cover onces I started to have gobies and wrasses, the net does not look great from the top in fact I never see it and I rather have it than lose a fish.
I agree, the fish are expensive and I hate that their lives end that way on the carpet. Trying hard to be a responsible owner and give them the best possible environment :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 50 72.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back