Red Sea Max S400

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Along with the tank I was also given a skimmer which I just finally got in the sump. It’s older with an ac pump and part of the lid is broken, but it’s not everyday you’re given a free Bubble King skimmer.
582D02BB-E6CF-4D67-A6A1-A0C77C50DE62.jpeg

I just turned it on before taking the picture so it isn’t adjusted and even if it was there is nothing for it to skim anyway. I just wanted to see if it would work.
How badly is it broken?? I used weldon 4 before to repair acrylic and honestly you can't tell it was broken at some point.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How badly is it broken?? I used weldon 4 before to repair acrylic and honestly you can't tell it was broken at some point.
It has a triangular shaped piece missing on the part of the lid that sticks back down into the cup around the neck. I’ve never used Weldon but would it only be good for gluing pieces back together or could it fill in the missing piece. I considered trying to make a mold in the lid so that I could use some kind of 2 part epoxy and pour it to fill in the missing piece.
Most likely I will just leave it the way that it is, since I doubt it has much impact on functionality…that and I’m lazy.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It has a triangular shaped piece missing on the part of the lid that sticks back down into the cup around the neck. I’ve never used Weldon but would it only be good for gluing pieces back together or could it fill in the missing piece. I considered trying to make a mold in the lid so that I could use some kind of 2 part epoxy and pour it to fill in the missing piece.
Most likely I will just leave it the way that it is, since I doubt it has much impact on functionality…that and I’m lazy.
Ah nope weldon is to weld pieces together, it won't fill... but yeah it probably doesn't matter for functionality

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah nope weldon is to weld pieces together, it won't fill... but yeah it probably doesn't matter for functionality
Unfortunately I don’t have the piece that is missing. I’m pretty sure he was running it with the piece missing without any problems so I’ll probably just leave it the way it is. I like the thought of trying to make a mold and fix it but I bet it wouldn’t look very good when I was done.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pick up!
I purchased a similar tank for $500! The wife wasn't having it with the mid-modern color so I wrapped it with 3M Black Vinyl. Also replaced the T5 with XR15 G5.
It is a great tank; I wish the sump is a bit bigger with better layout for different equipment.
Will try to get some pictures later.
Good luck with your build!

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great pick up!
I purchased a similar tank for $500! The wife wasn't having it with the mid-modern color so I wrapped it with 3M Black Vinyl. Also replaced the T5 with XR15 G5.
It is a great tank; I wish the sump is a bit bigger with better layout for different equipment.
If you did the carbon fiber 3m the filter is now faster tho.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pick up!
I like the dark red color but my wife doesn’t. I never even considered a vinyl wrap, thanks for commenting I may do that to change to color sometime in the future.
I had considered switching to led lights, the bracket for led lights was also included with the tank, but for now I don’t want the extra cost. Plus I’m focusing more on fish than corals in this tank anyway. I will probably upgrade eventually but I’m in no hurry.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the dark red color but my wife doesn’t. I never even considered a vinyl wrap, thanks for commenting I may do that to change to color sometime in the future.
I had considered switching to led lights, the bracket for led lights was also included with the tank, but for now I don’t want the extra cost. Plus I’m focusing more on fish than corals in this tank anyway. I will probably upgrade eventually but I’m in no hurry.
Yeah, the wife said I could get the tank but the color has to be changed
I am doing SPS reef tank and didn't want to replaced T5 Tubes every 6 months. The RMS mounts and rail worked perfectly for me.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hahaha...I got it now! I also into cars (got a Z4M and M3 in the garage) so I know what you meant now.
Maybe my SPS will grow faster if I add some stickers to the stand
I ran into a very inappropriate video on YouTube but it's hilarious
@Gtinnel this might explain it better lol

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
over your head cosplay GIF by Comic-Con HQ

I know what JDM is but I had no idea what it meant either
Easiest way I can think off:
In the late 90s there was a huge tuner culture in the US. Especially with cars imported from Japan (JDM=Japanese Domestic Market). So popular US auto makers lobbied congress etc they banned sales and imports of certain models into the US... anyway... along comes Fast and Furios and a new craze is born. Obviously car people existed before F&F, but statistics say F&F increased car part sales like tenfold after the movie lol. Anyway, tuners would seek to actually add performance to a car. Ricers on the other hand would seek to make a car look cool but end up with no performance gains... like maybe adding a roof rack, vinyl wrap, stickers, exhaust tip, fake hood scoops from auto zone... hence the meme was born of (how many horsepower does that sticker add?)

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest way I can think off:
In the late 90s there was a huge tuner culture in the US. Especially with cars imported from Japan (JDM=Japanese Domestic Market). So popular US auto makers lobbied congress etc they banned sales and imports of certain models into the US... anyway... along comes Fast and Furios and a new craze is born. Obviously car people existed before F&F, but statistics say F&F increased car part sales like tenfold after the movie lol. Anyway, tuners would seek to actually add performance to a car. Ricers on the other hand would seek to make a car look cool but end up with no performance gains... like maybe adding a roof rack, vinyl wrap, stickers, exhaust tip, fake hood scoops from auto zone... hence the meme was born of (how many horsepower does that sticker add?)
I know about JDM and the 25 year import ban.

I went through that ricer phase as a teenager. I had the car with the cheap Chinese screen on the dash, the awful looking huge spoiler on the back, and a upgraded stereo system.
Oh to be young and dumb again.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are couple pictures. Still have 1 unfinished corner piece
Wife also didn't like too much blue like so I made a hood to minimize spillage.
Are the plastic trim pieces wrapped too and did you have to remove the side panels to wrap them?
I like the red of my tank but I may do what you did to make my wife happy.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the plastic trim pieces wrapped too and did you have to remove the side panels to wrap them?
I like the red of my tank but I may do what you did to make my wife happy.
Yes, I wrapped everything (except that one corner piece)
I took everything a part, cleaned then really well (including the frame). I think it might be easier as well but I think you don't have to take them off to wrap.
I also ordered all new door hinges caused the old ones was starting to rust.

Back