OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finally put the lights on the tank and did my first water tests since it’s been up for about a month. I still need to add the trim but I’ll do it later.
It is partially cycled, the ammonia was 0 but nitrites were still present. There were some nitrates although I don’t know how much exactly because I used my crappy API test kit.
I’ve never understood how a tank cycles without adding anything that would add bacteria. I didn’t add any live rock, bacteria additive or seeded media and it still started cycling. Where does the bacteria come from?
F320F5CE-60C5-4CB6-A1F0-C883C1C776DB.jpeg

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just finally put the lights on the tank and did my first water tests since it’s been up for about a month. I still need to add the trim but I’ll do it later.
It is partially cycled, the ammonia was 0 but nitrites were still present. There were some nitrates although I don’t know how much exactly because I used my crappy API test kit.
I’ve never understood how a tank cycles without adding anything that would add bacteria. I didn’t add any live rock, bacteria additive or seeded media and it still started cycling. Where does the bacteria come from?
F320F5CE-60C5-4CB6-A1F0-C883C1C776DB.jpeg

There is bacteria fairies that leave bacteria for you when you leave a tank full of water out!

giphy (1) (28).gif

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 6 weeks I’ve finally gotten around to sliding the trim on. I still haven’t figured out how I’m going to keep the sand in place, but other than that it seems to be cycled and ready for a fish. I will probably pick up a couple of basic clownfish once my qt tank is freed up.
9ADC8FB1-424C-4FB5-89BB-E6EFFA01139C.jpeg

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tank set in place and leveled. I have added most of the water but I’m waiting until I build and add the aqua scape before I finish filling it up and add all of the equipment and trim pieces.
E9C7819B-1D10-4800-BC9E-86C895789E5E.jpeg
D6FDB672-ECCD-4CAF-8436-1010ACD858D2.jpeg

I spent a while cleaning on the sump and I would’ve said it was relatively clean, until I took this picture and can see it’s not all that clean, but it won’t matter once it’s up and running.
Oh man, i also bought a used RSM and am very familiar with the 'dirty' sump. At least it looks like you got to use the original. I ultimately had to buy a whole new sump because after a very heavy cleaning job that took three or four days. My wife and i went to dump some water out, and it slipped out of our hands onto the asphalt of our driveway....doh
Daffy Duck No GIF by Looney Tunes

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, i also bought a used RSM and am very familiar with the 'dirty' sump. At least it looks like you got to use the original. I ultimately had to buy a whole new sump because after a very heavy cleaning job that took three or four days. My wife and i went to dump some water out, and it slipped out of our hands onto the asphalt of our driveway....doh
Daffy Duck No GIF by Looney Tunes
Mine is the smaller model so it’s not quite as heavy as yours was. I spent days with a razor blade and muriatic acid. I asked the original owner and he said that he left it as a reminder to not over dose macro elements.

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the smaller model so it’s not quite as heavy as yours was. I spent days with a razor blade and muriatic acid. I asked the original owner and he said that he left it as a reminder to not over dose macro elements.
Razor blades, vinegar, pumps, canned air (i was not lying about the massive amount of cobwebs found lol), towels, more towels, kitchen bowls, chisel and hammer, replacement screws, door hinges, and a brand new sparkling sump. You know all the essentials :eek: I had to park outside the garage for a while.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Razor blades, vinegar, pumps, canned air (i was not lying about the massive amount of cobwebs found lol), towels, more towels, kitchen bowls, chisel and hammer, replacement screws, door hinges, and a brand new sparkling sump. You know all the essentials :eek: I had to park outside the garage for a while.
If you ever have to do it again diluted muriatic acid does much better than vinegar. On the inside of the tank I just had to spray it on and the build up essentially ran off. The sump took some extra work.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did the same. Cracked the red sea glass sump when I picked up the tank and drove it over, unloaded in my driveway. I'm assuming when I put the sump IN the cabinet to make it fit in my car... it hit a screw in the cabinet when it slid like in a turn or something. Put flex tape, still in use now.
Resized_20210527_152627.jpeg
IMG_9341(1).jpg
Resized_image000000(38).jpeg

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same. Cracked the red sea glass sump when I picked up the tank and drove it over, unloaded in my driveway. I'm assuming when I put the sump IN the cabinet to make it fit in my car... it hit a screw in the cabinet when it slid like in a turn or something. Put flex tape, still in use now.
IMG_9341(1).jpg
I put mine in the stand while bringing it home to save space, I may have just got lucky that everything made it okay.

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9341(1).jpg
That is great to hear! the crack in mine was terrifying and right up the joint so i had no confidence in it, always nice to find a DIY option,

car accident GIF

Sincerely,

B-Kind

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine in the stand while bringing it home to save space, I may have just got lucky that everything made it okay.
You just never know, they are one huge hunk of glass. Luckily and im not saying this is cheap especially after getting a good deal used but a brand new sump for the S500 was $300 from Red Sea.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Greg, those WiFi plugs you told me get are awesome! I can turn my flow off without having to crawl under the tank. I had considered building a power center with switches on the outside and plugs on the inside so I could slip switches on and off to control whatever I desired but ... This is way easier and less chance of electrocuting myself on a metal tank stand.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg, those WiFi plugs you told me get are awesome! I can turn my flow off without having to crawl under the tank. I had considered building a power center with switches on the outside and plugs on the inside so I could slip switches on and off to control whatever I desired but ... This is way easier and less chance of electrocuting myself on a metal tank stand.
I don’t remember recommending any but I’m guessing the Kasa smart plugs? I have them scattered throughout my house for a bunch of things. The power strips are nice too and allow for showing energy consumption.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t remember recommending any but I’m guessing the Kasa smart plugs? I have them scattered throughout my house for a bunch of things. The power strips are nice too and allow for showing energy consumption.
That's the ones! Early on in my build thread you told me to get some. I used the individual plugs.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back