Red Sea Mixed Reef Parameters

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dosing Red Sea A + B about 3 weeks ago with a view to getting towards the 11.5 dKh target value recommended by Red Sea.

As part of the process bought a Hanna Alk Checker to avoid the (in my view rather hit or miss) titration test from Red Sea.

Parameters now sitting at:

Alk 11.3 (has been as high as 12.1 during the adjustment process)

Calc sits around 440 (Red Sea test)

Mag is around 1500 (Red Sea test - if I understand correctly widely regarded as inaccurate?)

Po3 is around .12 - .16

No3 is around 10-12

pH stable at between 8 and 8.1 (depending on photo period)

Temp stable between 24-25

I have noticed a decrease in what I think are dinos and all my softies and LPS look really healthy except for my Xenia which is slowly turning purple from pink

Two questions:

Should I worry about the high Mag level?

Is it better to reduce the Red Sea B dosing to let the Alk fall back or risk the occasional trip to 12?

Additional observation - I stopped doing weekly water changes as something in the salt seems to feed the algae (although I also changed to the new Red Sea LEDs at the same time)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't recommend any of the Red Sea recommendations at all.
Chasing their numbers, which in many people's tanks are unrealistic, may result in you killing a lot of corals.
But if you still do want to use their numbers as a goal, it would be safer to use an automatic doser rather than by hand.
That mag level is ok, it won't hurt anything. 1400 is more typical. Salifert magnesium test kit is excellent.
What salt are you using? If it contains any carbon compounds (amino acids, vitamins, probiotics, etc), it may well promote algae growth.
Salts without those components won't do so. Water changes with most salts will reduce nutrients that algae use.

OP
OP
B

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply

I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro salt - was given a bucket when I bought my tank and stayed with it - can't blame the salt with 100% certainty as I had no TDS meter on my RO/DI set until recently but that shows 0 TDS

Will order a Salifert kit

I'm thinking it's better to stay between 10 and 11 say than 11-12?

Two years in to saltwater after more years than I care to count in fresh and just beginning to understand how much I don't know :)

Edited to add - dosing with Apex Dos

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Pro doesn't contain anything that will feed algae. Could be the light change.
Alk 10-11 dKH is a great place to be. :)

OP
OP
B

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my view the light change has been a positive step ... but I can't quantify that statement.

My catalphyllia (which I think is a good weather vane) seems very happy

Will try and settle the Alk in the 10 - 11 range and report back

Thanks again for the feedback

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a recommendation?

Please don't post anything social media ...

Hahah i use red sea for mag and cal. They work fine and are pretty close to what my ICP testing reports. I was just showing you your options with that video... those guys are highly regarded. Did you watch it?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my view the light change has been a positive step ... but I can't quantify that statement.

My catalphyllia (which I think is a good weather vane) seems very happy

Will try and settle the Alk in the 10 - 11 range and report back

Thanks again for the feedback
I used to use Red Sea coral pro. It’s going to be too much work to bring alk down with that salt. I’d recommend that salt for a well stocked reef tank (mixed or SPS) unless you do want to keep alk around 11-12. I could never get below 12. Also, when picking up frags from LFS and friends, their alk was always in the 8-9 range. So I started using the Red Sea blue bucket and brought my alk down slowly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back