red sea nitrate pro test dilution

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to try to Red Sea algae management kit. On my DT, I'm normally in the 5-10ppm range now that I'm dosing - without dosing it is 0-2. On my other kit that I've used many years with consistent results, it seems I match the hue rather than the shade, but on the red sea kit, to my eye the hue is sometimes tough to match and I use the shade. Doing this, I get good agreement between the 2 different brands. Does that make sense?
The regular range reading test uses 16ml tank water. The high range test calls for 1 ml tank water in 15 ml RO water, and multiply reading by 16. But at my normal levels, I think a 1:1 dilution (8ml tank water, 8 ml RODI) and use a multiplier of 4 creates a 0-16 test range. I have tried that and make the same observation - the shade is more important than the hue to my eye, and I still get good agreement with a normal red sea test or my other brand.
I did not name the other brand for 2 reasons - this is red sea's forum, and I did not want to get into a which is better discussion, just check my testing protocols since I am new to the red sea nitrate test.
FYI - the phosphate test that came in the kit is a lot easier to discern to my eye, but I'm usually ~0.01.

OP
OP
S

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by the way, if anyone wants to tell me which bottle goes back where in the box, that'd be great. I feel like no matter what I do, I'm left with at least one mis-matched size. No big deal, it all fits. Just seems to kill a few minutes every round as I try again to get it "right".

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back