Red Sea Peninsula 500 New Build

Monice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally!!! It has arrived. My new Red Sea Peninsula 500 Deluxe.
20200609_133525.jpg

20200609_133356.jpg

Only one small issue while setting up. I discovered the connector on the ATO float valve was snapped off.
20200609_140243.jpg

It must have broken off in transport or the LFS team I paid to setup the stand for me accidentally snapped it off moving the sump into the cabinet. Not really worried about it though, easy to remedy. Also been working on my aquascape for the past week. I'm liking it a lot. I'll post some pics soon. Looking forward to some feedback. Gotta go for now. Gonna start getting all this gear setup. :)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200609_133525.jpg

20200609_133356.jpg

Only one small issue while setting up. I discovered the connector on the ATO float valve was snapped off.
20200609_140243.jpg

It must have broken off in transport or the LFS team I paid to setup the stand for me accidentally snapped it off moving the sump into the cabinet. Not really worried about it though, easy to remedy. Also been working on my aquascape for the past week. I'm liking it a lot. I'll post some pics soon. Looking forward to some feedback. Gotta go for now. Gonna start getting all this gear setup. :)

oooo look at the pups...oh I mean peninsula
peninsula are the best!
I have the 650P coming in a few months

looks like a nice bunch of goodies in the back ground too!

OP
OP
Monice

Monice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oooo look at the pups...oh I mean peninsula
peninsula are the best!
I have the 650P coming in a few months

looks like a nice bunch of goodies in the back ground too!

Love my fur babies! LOL.

Awesome for you getting the 650! I would have gone bigger if I had enough room.

Tkipl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200609_133525.jpg

20200609_133356.jpg

20200609_140243.jpg

I'll definitely be following your progress! I'm setting up my P650 at the moment.

OP
OP
Monice

Monice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter and I have been busy bees this past weekend working on the Red Sea P500. Well, mostly me. Lol. She would lend a hand when I asked for it. I allowed her to mostly design the aquascape since she was having fun with tweaking what I had already started.

We installed all the goodies and ready to do a leak test. Still need to do a little more cable management. The power modules for the LEDs are not tucked away yet. Also, I emailed Red Sea support in regards to the broken ATO float valve and they sent me a replacement. :)

Details:
  • Red Sea Peninsula 500 Delux
  • 3x ReefLED 90s
  • ReefLED 90 Pendant
  • Reefer Skimmer 600
  • 1 ReefWave 45 (may need another)
  • Hydor Seltz D DC return pump (Sold to me by my LFS. Will be looking for a replacement to install and keep the Hydor as a backup.)
  • Neptune APEX w/Temperature, pH, ORP, and Salinity probes
  • CaribSea Life Rock
  • CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand (Still unopened)
  • Standard Aquarium Controller Board - Marine Depot
  • BRS RO/DI system
In regards to the leak test. I was wondering if I should have done that before putting the Life Rock in. Not sure if I wet the rock with RO/DI water then add salt once I fill the tank fully, will the bacteria on the rock survive?

Thanks! So happy to have found this forum!
20200615_1.jpg

20200615_5.jpg

~Mo

Last edited:

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter and I have been busy bees this past weekend working on the Red Sea P500. Well, mostly me. Lol. She would lend a hand when I asked for it. I allowed her to mostly design the aquascape since she was having fun with tweaking what I had already started.

We installed all the goodies and ready to do a leak test. Still need to do a little more cable management. The power modules for the LEDs are not tucked away yet. Also, I emailed Red Sea support in regards to the broken ATO float valve and they sent me a replacement. :)

Details:
  • Red Sea Peninsula 500 Delux
  • 3x ReefLED 90s
  • ReefLED 90 Pendant
  • Reefer Skimmer 600
  • 1 ReefWave 45 (may need another)
  • Hydor Seltz D DC return pump (Sold to me by my LFS. Will be looking for a replacement to install and keep the Hydor as a backup.)
  • Neptune APEX w/Temperature, pH, ORP, and Salinity probes
  • CaribSea Life Rock
  • CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand (Still unopened)
  • Standard Aquarium Controller Board - Marine Depot
  • BRS RO/DI system
In regards to the leak test. I was wondering if I should have done that before putting the Life Rock in. Not sure if I wet the rock with RO/DI water then add salt once I fill the tank fully, will the bacteria on the rock survive?

Thanks! So happy to have found this forum!
20200615_1.jpg

20200615_5.jpg

~Mo

What controller board did you get?

OP
OP
Monice

Monice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200609_133525.jpg

20200609_133356.jpg

20200609_140243.jpg

Tank is cycling now! Wohooo!

Filled it direct from RO/DI. It took exactly 34 hours, 21 minutes, and 13 seconds, but who was counting. LOL
Added salt and QuickStart. Gonna check water chemistry a little later today to see what's happening.

Open to any and all guidance.

20200622_073851.jpg

Last edited:

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Looks awesome! The scape looks great Let me know how you like the reef wave pumps!

OP
OP
Monice

Monice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is cycling now! Wohooo!

Filled it direct from RO/DI. It took exactly 34 hours, 21 minutes, and 13 seconds, but who was counting. LOL
Added salt and QuickStart. Gonna check water chemistry a little later today to see what's happening.

Open to any and all guidance.

20200622_073851.jpg

Adding a quick video almost 360 view. ;-)

Attachments

• 20200623_105537-1920.mp4
    16.1 MB
OP
OP
Monice

Monice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my reef tank cycling. Finally got everything running as of Monday Jun 22. I tested the water and all was well with Salt, temp, and pH. I waited a couple of days and saw a very slight increase in Ammonia (.25). To speed up the process I purchased Fritz Pro Ammonium Chloride. (That's what happened to be available at my closest LFS. Really no other reason.) The dosing recommendation was 1 tsp per 100 gal. My water volume is closer to 130 gal, but decided to stay under the recommendation so as not to bring the ammonia level too high. One tsp was perfect. Immediately brought my Ammonia level to right at 4.0. I waited 2 days and tested today during my lunch and I am pleased thus far.

1593114814053.png

I need to get going on my QT tank so I am ready to buy my first new inhabitants. :)
Unsure on what to include in my clean up crew. There are varying strong opinions on which snails, crabs, fish, etc are best. I am open to suggestions if anyone cares to leave any.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Monice

Monice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted an update in a while since starting so here goes...

Tank cycled wonderfully as far as I can tell.

I've since added an string of outdoor LED lights, the tape kind, inside my stand. Worked out really well. Comes with a remote and is weather proof. Now I can see really well inside of my sump.

I added a couple of Occellaris Clowns July 4th weekend and two weeks later added the following:

3 Banggai Cardinals
Yellow Watchman Goby
Tiger Pistol Shrimp
Royal Gamma

First 3 small coral frags:
Small frag of Zoas (Placed them on their own island)
Green Mushroom Coral
Candy Cane Coral

Just a couple of days ago I noticed these faint very small patches of yellowish spots on top of the sand. Now a couple days later they are becoming more abundant and getting larger. I also noticed they are beginning to appear on my rock work.
20200724_144851.jpg

I've done some googling and to the best of my noob knowledge I'm guessing diatoms possibly? Think that since my tank is so new. Open to opinions from more experienced reefers. In other words... HELP!!! :-D

Water Chemistry
Temp 78
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20 (Working to lower this. Did a 15% water change yesterday and will do every couple days to get this lowered). Let me know if I should be doing anything else.

Salinity 1.026
Calcium 420
Alkalinity dKH 6.7
Magnesium 1520

Do I need to do anything? Should I be panicking? Did I add too much livestock too quickly?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

reimelr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I am getting ready to start an almost identical setup. Anything you would do different or any equipment you would change?

OP
OP
Monice

Monice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I am getting ready to start an almost identical setup. Anything you would do different or any equipment you would change?
Hi reimelr,

I apologize for the delayed response. Sometimes life just gets in the way.

So far I am extremely happy with the whole setup. Things are going well.

I have added a couple of things to the system I didn't get up front:

Red Sea DIY net cover - It was difficult to put together but it looks nice. The mesh is very fragile and with regular use taking it off and on to do maintenance it has developed a few small tears, but still functional. Was thinking of going with a ClearView Lid in the near future.
20201012_100717.jpg

Added a second ReefWave 45 - I just wasn't getting the flow I desired with only one.
And the white zip ties you see on the overflow grates is to prevent my tiny Yellow Watchman Goby from ending up in my overflow box again. LOL! That was a pain.

20201012_100733.jpg

Added an outdoor rated LED strip of lights into my cabinet. Worked great and easy to install since it has self sticking backing. Bought at Lowe's for around $60. Can't remember exactly. Still have to clean up my wiring a bit. I feel like the Marine Depot controller board isn't large enough to mount everything.

20201012_100826.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good. I have it 's big brother the 650P setting it up now.
if you want a clear view better get on it now its taking 2-3 months I ordered around 6 weeks ago still no word but they do say its will take around 40 business days. so i guess I waite a few more weeks and reach out.
is that a brightwell Xport brick? how do you like it? holding up?

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read. I am setting up the exact same tank. A couple of questions please! 1) How is the ATO working, any issues? 2) Are you using a refugium? If yes, did you place it in the back part of the sump (on the right), with the skimmer in the front part? I ask because I’ve had some tell me to switch the skimmer and refugium locations for a better environment for pods. 3) How and where did you place your gyre/ wave maker? On the overflow wire? Vertically or horizontally? thanks, more questions to follow, I hope mine will be as good as yours!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back