Red sea pro salt

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been mixing for close to 12 hours now and it's still very very cloudy, I havnt used this salt in a long long time and don't remember it being this cloudy I mixed the bag very very well. Is this normal, I'm going to run test on the water now, I am just use to TMP which mixes clear in about a hour for me.

brian_reefragr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stuff takes forever to be completely clear for me too, total PIA when I want to do a water change quickly(cause I always mix it the day I'm going to use it, or the night before). I'm a big fan of the Tropic Marin Pro as well!

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But 12 hr's to mix clear is a little long right? It's actually close to 15 hours now it's mixing in a 30g frag tank and I can't see the power head on the other side it's so cloudy.

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea thats not right at all I just mixed up 15 gallons and it took maybe 10 minutes to clear up.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag 1380 alk 10dkh and cal 430 seems pretty normal from advertised.

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well at least the numbers are good ..I bought a bucket 2 months ago and it was sketchy the numbers where all out of wack calcium 500,mag 1400 and the alk was over 14dkh it cost me one millepora due to alk burns ..I figured it was the best salt no need to test before water change big mistake i noticed the corals acting funny and checked it then and man was i disappointed . I was using Reef Crystals and keeping my numbers around 10.5dkh , 425 ca,1250mag..
sorry for going off topic ...what salt did you use prior to this batch?

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I was about to order some may wait

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used TM pro. I'm the kinda guy who rarely ventures away from what I'm use to so I used TM pro for almost 4-6 years ish now. About 8 months ago I set up a 29G and read great reviews on RSP and used it and I liked it. I thought I would start it on my main systems and this came up, I'm going on 18-20 hours and it's clearing up a little. The glass and pumps are clearing up and I can see them a little now and there is a white must over them.

ppipalace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Pro mix

I don't think it's the salt, I think it's your water. have your test how hard the water is. I do a 10 percent change every week with Red Sea pro- within 10 min the salt mixes up with no problem.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RO/DI is crystal clear, I thought it was maybe that as well outgoing it's 0tds.

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But 12 hr's to mix clear is a little long right? It's actually close to 15 hours now it's mixing in a 30g frag tank and I can't see the power head on the other side it's so cloudy.
Honestly that is so weird. I mix weekly 10g batches and they are usually crystal clear within 20 minutes. Dont know why you have this bad experience...

reeferman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been using it since red sea introduced the new line.ive found that mixing with cool water will produce crystal clear within minutes.every time i mix it with tank temp water,it is cloudy for a while.so mix it with cool ro then bring up to tank temp.works for me every time.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go with IO and call it a day ..................

I am surprised you'd recommend io with all your experience in hobby;) everyone I've talked to about that stuff says its garbage and I can say from personal experience when I used it I had to constantly dose. With red sea haven't had to dose since I've been using it.

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you guys lay the bucket of salt down and roll it around to mix it up? All the vibrations during the shipment causes the different elements in the salt to shift to either the bottom or top layer of the salt. That causes a bad salt mix. Usually when people complain about bad batches of salt, it's because they have shifting of elements in their bucket or bag of salt. That can be prevented by mixing the salt batch after shipment.

ppipalace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I just made a short video on mixing Red Sea salt pro,with DI water I don't know if I can show the video on reef 2 reef . If not I will put it on YouTube and you can watch it there .I have step-by-step instructions on how I mixed 30 gallons of DI water using Red Sea salt Pro I'll get back soon, I also ran some test to see exactly what the calcium, KH, magnesium, and phosphates, are after mixing the salt. Phil

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I Took out the bag it was in and mixxed it up real well shaking it and all. I will not be using this salt but I put a skimmer in and it cleared up over night.... Also its weird you mentioned that it was mixed into cold RO/DI water and then brought up to 78.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back