Red Sea Recomedations

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else use the calculator and do all of the recommended things from Red Sea. I am thinking about moving to their salt and already used their test and AB+

Just wondering how many others out there have plugged in their numbers and actually ran their tanks by their calculations.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those calculators give you, at best a very rough estimate! Be careful about following the recommendations 100%- do your own testing to confirm :)

Remember: Red Sea is a business. They make money selling all these additives ;)

Which of their salts are you considering- and why? I am sure you have done your research already but there are plenty videos such as this one that explains the difference! :)

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those calculators give you, at best a very rough estimate! Be careful about following the recommendations 100%- do your own testing to confirm :)

Remember: Red Sea is a business. They make money selling all these additives ;)

Which of their salts are you considering- and why? I am sure you have done your research already but there are plenty videos such as this one that explains the difference! :)
I have been looking at the coral pro mixed at 33ppt which should put it close to 11dkh

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at the coral pro mixed at 33ppt which should put it close to 11dkh
What is your reasoning for using the salt with elevated elements? :) It's a good salt, no doubt that but as always there's benefits and drawbacks with everything.

As for the calculators on the Red Sea page- don't dose anything without testing before and after. Whatever the calculator says, start with half the dose and adjust from there.

I run all my tanks at apprx. 7.5 dKh - and maintain with dosing of 4-part.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your reasoning for using the salt with elevated elements? :) It's a good salt, no doubt that but as always there's benefits and drawbacks with everything.

As for the calculators on the Red Sea page- don't dose anything without testing before and after. Whatever the calculator says, start with half the dose and adjust from there.

I run all my tanks at 7.5 dKh - and maintain with dosing of 4-part.
It's an SPS dominated tank. I need a salt that is a little more comparable to the numbers I want to run.

I know about all the testing. I have all the test.

I don't want to have to dose unless I skip a week of water changes. Great thing about keeping nano tanks. Waterchanges are small and make 90% of the difference without having to run dosers.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an SPS dominated tank. I need a salt that is a little more comparable to the numbers I want to run.

I know about all the testing. I have all the test.

I don't want to have to dose unless I skip a week of water changes. Great thing about keeping nano tanks. Waterchanges are small and make 90% of the difference without having to run doses.
Good! :) As long as you're aware of the elevated elements and have considered the 'implications'! Sounds like it's a good salt for you definetly.

As for the calculators, which calculators are we talking about if your aim is not to dose?

AB+ and NoPOX?

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good! :) As long as you're aware of the elevated elements and have considered the 'implications'! Sounds like it's a good salt for you definetly.

As for the calculators, which calculators are we talking about if your aim is not to dose?

AB+ and NoPOX?
Yes. More less their NoPOX and AB+

I would get the others Alk,Calc and Mag just for Mico adjustments. It's going to get to the point where I will need to put something in if I slide due to life.

I was just curious why they put this calculator in in the first place if everyone follows the general math idea and if anyone has ever followed it and if it actually works.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. More less their NoPOX and AB+

I would get the others Alk,Calc and Mag just for Mico adjustments. It's going to get to the point where I will need to put something in if I slide due to life.

I was just curious why they put this calculator in in the first place if everyone follows the general math idea and if anyone has ever followed it and if it actually works.
Q: Do you have issues with high nutrients (no3 / po4) in your tank? :)

If not, then there's no need to dose NoPOX. And if you have, then it is much, much more effective and sustainable to address this issue and adjust the amount of nutrition you add to the tank (food!) or up your filtration in stead.

As for the AB+, I would start with about half of the recommended dose- and test for no3 / po4. If it goes up; dose less and the other way around if it's lower than what you want.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q: Do you have issues with high nutrients (no3 / po4) in your tank? :)

If not, then there's no need to dose NoPOX. And if you have, then it is much, much more effective and sustainable to address this issue and adjust the amount of nutrition you add to the tank (food!) or up your filtration in stead.

As for the AB+, I would start with about half of the recommended dose- and test for no3 / po4. If it goes up; dose less and the other way around if it's lower than what you want.
I don't. Again, this was more for curiosity than anything. I do not have any current issues. Again, I have been using AB+ for a good while now at about 10ml a dose but that is once a week not their 1.2ml a day recommendation. I usually do a 50% WC within a day of this as well so I don't see any ill effects. This is in addition to the oyster eggs and reef roids. It's a once a week feeding but it's a healthy one. LOL

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't. Again, this was more for curiosity than anything. I do not have any current issues. Again, I have been using AB+ for a good while now at about 10ml a dose but that is once a week not their 1.2ml a day recommendation. I usually do a 50% WC within a day of this as well so I don't see any ill effects. This is in addition to the oyster eggs and reef roids. It's a once a week feeding but it's a healthy one. LOL
Sounds like you have a very good system going already! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: It's all about tweaking what we do and always getting a little bit better..

Although, be careful trying to fix issues you don't have! ;) Happy reefing mate!

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used RS trace and CA/ALK on my nanos before using their recommendations. It was like running a tank on steroids. If you are going to do this on a nano, things can move very fast. You will have to be on top of everything . An analogy would be a dragster with a high performance engine that runs the thinnest line between power and total destruction. Or a low compression tractor engine that as lone as you keep it semi lubricated. It will last for 100 years.
So I would not recommend using their recommendations or their pro salt if "life may get in the way".

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used RS trace and CA/ALK on my nanos before using their recommendations. It was like running a tank on steroids. If you are going to do this on a nano, things can move very fast. You will have to be on top of everything . An analogy would be a dragster with a high performance engine that runs the thinnest line between power and total destruction. Or a low compression tractor engine that as lone as you keep it semi lubricated. It will last for 100 years.
So I would not recommend using their recommendations or their pro salt if "life may get in the way".

Life rarely gets in the way more than a weekend away these days. But the Reef on Steroids thing is exactly what I am looking for. Their recommendations are hardly a ML of this or that for me so I am pretty sure I can keep it in check without too much of a hassle.

I like the analogy though.

I was just kinda looking at keeping with the same brand of things too. The ADHD in me makes it very difficult to have a salifert test sitting nest to the RS ones.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life rarely gets in the way more than a weekend away these days. But the Reef on Steroids thing is exactly what I am looking for. Their recommendations are hardly a ML of this or that for me so I am pretty sure I can keep it in check without too much of a hassle.

I like the analogy though.

I was just kinda looking at keeping with the same brand of things too. The ADHD in me makes it very difficult to have a salifert test sitting nest to the RS ones.
If you want to do a doser instead of hand dosing. You can dilute with RO. Or even if your are not going to use a doser. 3ml is much more easier to dose than .03ml

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do a doser instead of hand dosing. You can dilute with RO. Or even if your are not going to use a doser. 3ml is much more easier to dose than .03ml
Ahh. With a 1ml syringe .8 or 1.3 is easy to dose. I am trying not to use a doser.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose about half of their dose on everything based on what their calculations say. I run their 4 head doser with their products. In my opinion that's a good place to start and then adjust as needed.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose about half of their dose on everything based on what their calculations say. I run their 4 head doser with their products. In my opinion that's a good place to start and then adjust as needed.
That's kinda what I figured. Suggested rates vs actual rates may vary.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back