Red Sea ReefDose4 issues "unknown error"

MyTonyTiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a ReefDose 4 that I'm just setting up. I have no issues running through the reefbeat app and getting it connected to wi-fi. It even downloaded and updated the firmware. However, when it gets to the screen where you can rename it, it always fails with an "unknown error". I eventually have to close the app and re-open it. When I do, I can see the pump added, but it's in a "Disconnected" state and won't connect. I've been through the process about 5 times now. I've tried different names, even leaving the name as the default. Nothing has worked.

Things I've done to troubleshoot.
1) unplugging the unit and plugging it back in
2) Deleting the device and re-adding it.
3) Hard Reset of the pump and re-adding it.
3) I have confirmed that it is getting connected to the router.
4) Using my PC, I can ping the IP address and get a response.
5) When I navigate to the IP address reported by my router, I get a JSON response that appears to have valid data.

The JSON looks like this (I deleted the uuid and mac address here in the forum):

JSON:
{
  "ap_enabled": false,
  "ap_ip": "192.168.4.1",
  "wifi_enabled": true,
  "wifi_ip": "192.168.1.2",
  "rtc_connected": true,
  "flash_size": 16777216,
  "free_heap": 89540,
  "total_bytes": 3305921,
  "used_bytes": 46184,
  "uptime": "D:001-H:00-m:32-s:37",
  "uuid": "deleted",
  "reset_reasons": {
    "0": "software reset CPU",
    "1": "software reset CPU"
  },
  "mac": "deleted",
  "i2c_devices": [
    {
      "address": "0x68",
      "device": "RTC"
    }
  ]
}

It's interesting too that some info I expected to be there was not... like firmware version.

I'm almost certain that this is completely an issue with the reefbeat app and not with the pump. As I type this out, I'm wondering if the firmware update changed the response from the pump such that it broke the software on rename.

I have tried for days to get somewhere with red sea tech support, but it's stupid slow and even after telling them the above, I am still getting suggestions like unplug it and plug it back in.

If anyone here maybe knows something else I can try, please let me know. I wish red sea had a web portal where I could see my devices and not just reefbeat. Like seneye does. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MyTonyTiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Tech support replied shortly after I posted. Per their request, I did the following:

I did another factory reset on the doser and deleted it from my tank in Reefbeat. I then created a new tank in Reefbeat with "offline" mode. I was then able to add the doser to the new offline tank and it's working. So, maybe it's an issue with the online servers?

So, that was a good suggestion from tech support. Still waiting to hear about getting it added to my online tank in reefbeat.

OP
OP
M

MyTonyTiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, the issue is resolved!

Seems this was my fault after all. My router was showing the device connected. However, there was a general rule to block new devices. Something I had done months earlier and had forgotten about. I did not realize that the router would still show new devices as connected so when I saw it in the list and I could ping it and navigate to it on my network, I assumed all was well. It was not.

Anyway, this was discovered after following the suggestion from tech support to try attaching the pump to a hotspot. Once I did this, the pump connected and all was well. This is what prompted me to dig a little deeper into my router settings and discover the issue.

Maybe this will help someone someday.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to hard reset my doser on two occasions, getting a notification of a malfunction and stating that my doser and device were on two different networks all of a sudden, when off wifi on my device only one out of 4 heads would show up, very wonky. I would do a hard reset and re calibrated all 4 heads and all back to normal. it's as If the doser just quits working for no reason, im starting to wonder about redsea...

KasperS1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue right now.
Also telling me that it's on two different networks.
Been running perfect for a week (since I did the setup)
So, hard reset and all the setup again is the only solution?

KasperS1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.
Restarted my Router (Asus) and everything was back to normal.
Thanks anyway :)
I will for sure be back with other "strange" questions since I am completely new to the hobby

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue right now.
Also telling me that it's on two different networks.
Been running perfect for a week (since I did the setup)
So, hard reset and all the setup again is the only solution?
that's what worked the quickest for me, I'm not sure what the malfunction is about, my buddy said because I have 48 devices on my router that could be causing an issue but it's still not certain.

KasperS1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what worked the quickest for me, I'm not sure what the malfunction is about, my buddy said because I have 48 devices on my router that could be causing an issue but it's still not certain.
You might be right about the amount of connections.
I also have a lot, I will try moving some of them to the 5g instead of the 2,4. Maybe that will change something

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be right about the amount of connections.
I also have a lot, I will try moving some of them to the 5g instead of the 2,4. Maybe that will change something
not alot of things run on 5g, the redsea dosers dont, most of the aquarium hobby stuff doesn't. good luck.

I will be getting a second router and switch for non aquarium related products soon to break up the devices

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back