Red Sea Reefer 250 Build

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so far this is the list of fish I’m thinking, maybe add 1 or 2 more later on but for now I’ll stick to this.

- Black storm clown
- mocha storm clown
- yasha goby + pistol shrimp
- banggai cardinal
- Midas blenny
- purple or helfrichi firefish

What order do you guys think I should add them? So I can avoid aggression problems
@ZachP be sure you get a male—female pair of banggais or they will fight. Someone on the reef fishes forum should be able to help you and provide pictures. Just ask.

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ZachP be sure you get a male—female pair of banggais or they will fight. Someone on the reef fishes forum should be able to help you and provide pictures. Just ask.
I think I just want a single banggai so it shouldn’t be a problem. I posted on there also but didn’t get much response. That’s no problem though, I’ve been obsessively researching so I think I’m good haha

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update on the cycle. I tested Tuesday and ammonia was 0, nitrites were still showing but barely. I dosed ammonia back to about 3ppm. Today ammonia and nitrite are 0. Seems like the cycle is pretty much done. It’ll probably be another week or so before I get any fish so I’ll probably keep adding small amounts of ammonia to keep it going.
In other news, I got the Clarisea all hooked up tonight. Tomorrow I’m picking up my skimmer and a couple other things. Then Tuesday my ATO and reservoir are showing up along with my screen top.

C107506D-D558-4E38-8F29-F4FD52D19058.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update on the cycle. I tested Tuesday and ammonia was 0, nitrites were still showing but barely. I dosed ammonia back to about 3ppm. Today ammonia and nitrite are 0. Seems like the cycle is pretty much done. It’ll probably be another week or so before I get any fish so I’ll probably keep adding small amounts of ammonia to keep it going.
In other news, I got the Clarisea all hooked up tonight. Tomorrow I’m picking up my skimmer and a couple other things. Then Tuesday my ATO and reservoir are showing up along with my screen top.

C107506D-D558-4E38-8F29-F4FD52D19058.jpeg
@ZachP why Clarisea may I ask? There are a lot of fleece rollers out there finally.

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ZachP why Clarisea may I ask? There are a lot of fleece rollers out there finally.
Honestly just because it seems like one that lots of people have good experience with from what I’ve looked up. I don’t have any experience with fleeces rollers so it’s something I’m completely new to.

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some more goodies today. Got my new ATO container and the Tunze osmolator setup. That way I could ditch the old ATO container to make room for the skimmer. Got everything setup, looking good so far. Also got my Red Sea diy screen top and my RO/DI, I’ll probably work on those tomorrow

D2506FEE-2615-41EF-A506-B4E7DE43D151.jpeg 42E4031E-07DA-4B2C-A0A7-F1032A8696D1.jpeg

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking nice! Is your main drain line sloped upward by the valve? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
I’ve been waiting for someone to call me out on that . It is, honestly did it just so I can still use the mount for the original piping. Being a bit lazy I guess. And it gives me a bit more room to change the clarisea roll. But it still works just as good with all the pressure of the water draining in. Just looks kind of stupid lol

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not looking foward to moding mine. The metric to standard plumping might be fun. I at least have a maching background and can machine anthing that is needed.

I would definitely fix that drain! Have you stopped the flow and restart it? I'm suprized it worked in the 1st place to be honest.

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not looking foward to moding mine. The metric to standard plumping might be fun. I at least have a maching background and can machine anthing that is needed.

I would definitely fix that drain! Have you stopped the flow and restart it? I'm suprized it worked in the 1st place to be honest.

Ya that’s the one thing I don’t love about the reefers so far

But ya I’ve stopped and restarted, it works perfectly fine. I don’t see why it’s a problem because the head pressure from the water draining is more then enough to get past that slope. Unless I’m missing something else?

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just want as little resistance as possible for drains. Lessons the chances for your overflow box to spill over onto the flow and drain your sump dry.

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just want as little resistance as possible for drains. Lessons the chances for your overflow box to spill over onto the flow and drain your sump dry.

Ya that makes sense. I doubt this will cause any problem though. Maybe I’ll kick myself one day for saying that but I’m going to leave it. Still got the emergency drain too just incase

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some more goodies today. Got my new ATO container and the Tunze osmolator setup. That way I could ditch the old ATO container to make room for the skimmer. Got everything setup, looking good so far. Also got my Red Sea diy screen top and my RO/DI, I’ll probably work on those tomorrow

D2506FEE-2615-41EF-A506-B4E7DE43D151.jpeg 42E4031E-07DA-4B2C-A0A7-F1032A8696D1.jpeg
@ZachP I like the cabinet things layout. Clean and crisp. Can’t wait to see a lot of life behind the front glass.

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ZachP I like the cabinet things layout. Clean and crisp. Can’t wait to see a lot of life behind the front glass.

Thanks, I’m happy with it so far. Although the cords seem messy and drive me crazy. But eventually when I have a controller and stuff I’ll probably build a custom control board and clean it all up. For now this will do

Either tomorrow or Friday I’m going to pick up my mocha storm clowns

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m happy with it so far. Although the cords seem messy and drive me crazy. But eventually when I have a controller and stuff I’ll probably build a custom control board and clean it all up. For now this will do

Either tomorrow or Friday I’m going to pick up my mocha storm clowns
@ZachP way to go dude!!! Funny chocolate storm trooper fish.

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the first additions are here and in the tank. Yesterday I picked up these tiny mocha storm clowns along with a cleaner shrimp. My yasha goby and pistol shrimp also came in today

80775272-74FF-45FB-B7F3-8BFACF5F91F3.jpeg

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also got home today and noticed my skimmer was overflowing. After checking it out I noticed the water level in the skimmer chamber was way higher then it should be. Figured the “bubble trap sponge” might be getting clogged up. Well I cleaned it and an insane amount of detritus came out. I’m going to try removing it for a while and see if I can just run the tank without it. Don’t really feel like having another thing I have to constantly clean out. Kind of ruins the point of having a fleece roller

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back