Red Sea Reefer 250 Build

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been away for a few years but finally decided to get back into it and start up something besides a nano. Picked up the Reefer 250 last night and I’ll start getting all the equipment in the next couple weeks. Might be a slow start but should be a good build once it gets going.

Equipment I plan on getting so far (let me know if anyone has better suggestions):
- Vecrta s2 return
- Clarisea sk-3000
- Reef Octopus 110 Skimmer
- (2) cobalt neotherm 150w heaters
- (2) mp40s (I know it’s overkill but I don’t want to deal with the chance of mp10s coming off because of glass thickness)
- (2) Radion xr15 g5s
- Tunze osmolator 3155 ATO
- BRS RO/DI
- Vortech battery backup

What am I missing here?

4F4D7BC8-0834-4FA8-83FC-7906480BC93F.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like you got it covered! Welcome back!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been away for a few years but finally decided to get back into it and start up something besides a nano. Picked up the Reefer 250 last night and I’ll start getting all the equipment in the next couple weeks. Might be a slow start but should be a good build once it gets going.

Equipment I plan on getting so far (let me know if anyone has better suggestions):
- Vecrta s2 return
- Clarisea sk-3000
- Reef Octopus 110 Skimmer
- (2) cobalt neotherm 150w heaters
- (2) mp40s (I know it’s overkill but I don’t want to deal with the chance of mp10s coming off because of glass thickness)
- (2) Radion xr15 g5s
- Tunze osmolator 3155 ATO
- BRS RO/DI
- Vortech battery backup

What am I missing here?

4F4D7BC8-0834-4FA8-83FC-7906480BC93F.jpeg
@ZachP I like your equipment list. You're going to need substrate like rock and sand. I have a Reefer 250 too. They're great tanks. Check out my build thread, click on my Build Thread Badge.

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as far as salt goes i think I’m going to run Tropic Marin Reef Pro. I’d like my alk to be around 8.5-9 so I’m thinking of just dosing it up when I mix the salt. Would soda ash or sodium bicarbonate be better for this?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as far as salt goes i think I’m going to run Tropic Marin Reef Pro. I’d like my alk to be around 8.5-9 so I’m thinking of just dosing it up when I mix the salt. Would soda ash or sodium bicarbonate be better for this?
Hey @ZachP that’s the salt I’m going to use. According to BRS videos, it mixes up cleanest and dissolves fastest.

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that’s what turned me on to it too. They say it stores well too and has great consistency between batches. The only downside is I would like the alkalinity a bit higher. I think I’m going to just use some sodium bicarbonate to raise it when I’m mixing though

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update here. I got my return pump, heaters, got the tank filled with water and up to temp. After I got everything working good I went back and got some live rock and sand. Stayed up way later then I wanted and got the aquascape all done. Rock is glued together and in the tank, sand is in, water is flowing. Now I can get this cycle started while I work on the rest of the equipment. I’ll get a picture or video up a bit later once the water is cleared up

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow @ZachP you were able to keep the Red Sea logo on your door. I broke mine off while I was building my stand and saw it lying on the carpet awhile later. LOL

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys and gals, I’m working on figuring out what fish I want and could use some opinions

So far I have:
- black storm clown
- mocha storm clown
- yellow watchman goby + tiger pistol shrimp
- banggai cardinal
- Midas blenny
- ornate leopard wrasse (after a while, hopefully)

Any suggestions, or problems with the list I have so far? I’m open to anything really. Just want a variety of pretty/interesting fish

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. A purple firefish might look nice in that tank.

OP
OP
ZachP

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so far this is the list of fish I’m thinking, maybe add 1 or 2 more later on but for now I’ll stick to this.

- Black storm clown
- mocha storm clown
- yasha goby + pistol shrimp
- banggai cardinal
- Midas blenny
- purple or helfrichi firefish

What order do you guys think I should add them? So I can avoid aggression problems

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back