Red Sea Reefer 250 build

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting anew or getting back into managing a reef system is no small matter. Huge shout out to Cole Gongloff with Coles Fish Tanks on being a sounding board and helping with all of my endless questions.

I have decided to post my RSR 250 build from the beginning...waiting on all everything to arrive at this point.

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 250 - solid starting tank with a built in sump. We were initially planning on a bigger tank, but feel this is the best of both worlds as it provides ability to understand and manage a tank with a sump system.

Return pump: Vectra S2 (1400 gph). Chose this pump for its ability to exceed the recommended flow and its ability to be managed thru the Mobius system.

Skimmer: Reef Octupus Classic 110INT 4" internal protein skimmer. I reviewed several members builds and recommendations from BSR and decided upon this skimmer.

Lighting: 2 Radion XR15 G5 Pro LED. Lots of reviews put this and even the Blue model into the tops of the possibilities. I feel for a mixed reef this will plenty of light and the programmability is fantastic. I will try not to over tinker.

Energy Management: Neptune Systems Energy Bar 832 - I may look to add to the system down the road with this Neptune profile, so I thought it was best to start with this and learn and grow.

Tank Flow: Neptune systems Wav Pump 2 pack - should provide enough flow for a mixed reef for now.

Heater: BRS 300W titanium aquarium heater system. This includes the Inkbird Temperature Controller

RO/DI: BRS 5 stage premium plus 75 GPD system includes TDS meter.

Testing: Went with Hanna Salinity tester. Also starting with the Red Sea Marine test care kit to start. Will need to add Calcium and Magnesium down the road.

Sand: Aragonite Special Grade Dry sand from Carib Sea (40 lbs)

Salt: HM-Marinemix Reefer salt mix

I will update with pictures and setup progress as I move along. Thanks to all who keep this wonderful Forum going

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the tank. I have the XL300. The mobius app is great. If you go with MP 10 or 40 powerheads then your return pump, lights and flow will all be on one app and easily synced for the type of corals in your tank such as LPS. They have pre sets in mobius that sync all components.

OP
OP
pghreeferteam

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Red Sea tank! I just thought I'd mention this, but the Neptune EB832 won't work independently of an Apex controller (Apex, ApexEL).
Thank you for the information. I thought it could still work as a power supply while I get things up and running and cycling. Trying to go slow and plan to add the controller and testing down the road.

OP
OP
pghreeferteam

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the tank. I have the XL300. The mobius app is great. If you go with MP 10 or 40 powerheads then your return pump, lights and flow will all be on one app and easily synced for the type of corals in your tank such as LPS. They have pre sets in mobius that sync all components.
I had to decide if I was going to go with Mobius or Apex I suppose... so many decisions to make. Thank you for the input. I hope the tank will be a success either way.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information. I thought it could still work as a power supply while I get things up and running and cycling. Trying to go slow and plan to add the controller and testing down the road.
I made the same mistake, so don't feel bad. They need something to the effect of "Requires Apex/ApexEL" in bold letters somewhere on the front of the packaging.

OP
OP
pghreeferteam

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begins.
7000AC4A-992C-4618-A24E-830E529A44FA.jpeg

OP
OP
pghreeferteam

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting the RO/DI going. Luckily have a connection for A washer dryer that I’m not using in a garage

Attachments

• E28BA2F8-984D-4473-9420-A268878EBDF5.jpeg
    E28BA2F8-984D-4473-9420-A268878EBDF5.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 54
Back