Red Sea reefer 250 G2 problem.

Daniel korchick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this tank for about 2 months now and I can’t seem to get the overflow right. I set the height I want it at , it’s good for 2-3 days and then all the sudden the overflow box is completely full of water and going into the emergency pipe. I haven’t changed or added anything. Please help with this issue

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running your return pump at a fixed speed? Using the gate valve I set the water level in my overflow to just below or at the edge of the emergency overflow. Note that this requires very minute adjustments, ie: 1/8" or 1/16" followed by 5-10 minutes between adjustments.

OP
OP
D

Daniel korchick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running your return pump at a fixed speed? Using the gate valve I set the water level in my overflow to just below or at the edge of the emergency overflow. Note that this requires very minute adjustments, ie: 1/8" or 1/16" followed by 5-10 minutes between adjustments.
Yes, my return is at a set speed with no change , I try to run the over flow abojt an inch down from the emergency

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you then been simply readjusting the gate valve to fix the problem? This happens to me at times and I suspect I have a bunch of sponge growth or something similar in my pipes near my gate valve. It indicates a clog or slowing of flow somewhere in your drain pipe. In the past, I've closed my valve all the way then opened it all the way and it seemed to fix the issue for awhile.

Last edited:

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently cycling a 200xl g2. Many things will change the density of your water. Its a constant struggle but its usually just a minor turn here and there once youve got it dialed in initially(quiet) afterwards its just slight adjustments until the tank stabilizes.

This is what ive been told at least and my experience with the constant adjustments combined with constant changes throughout the cycle it makes sense to me.

If i am wrong i am sure someone will correct me but as i am also battling through this i thought i would share the same encouragement that was given to me.

Its a process-even annoying process-but it should go away as you dial in to the tune of the tank stabilizing. Dont take to heart and roll with it.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This is how i have dialed mine in but during the cycle im still making daily adjustments.

Same here. Daily corrections for a couple of weeks at 1st. I was following directions to make the overflow box water level a few ml beneath the emergency overflow. Constant battle with this. When i have it just barely trickling into the emergency overflow , issue resolved.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
When I run it at this , it seems like the water is stagnit in the tank ,no cycling between the overflow and the pump.

yep, tell me about it! Its made worst because I have a reefmat installed. I was thinking about getting a pico pump to stir the sump intermittently for a few minutes throughtout the day.

OP
OP
D

Daniel korchick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you then been simply readjusting the gate valve to fix the problem? This happens to me at times and I suspect I have a bunch of sponge growth or something similar in my pipes near my gate valve. It indicates a clog or slowing of flow somewhere in your drain pipe. In the past, I've closed my valve all the way then opened it all the way and it seemed to fix the issue for awhile.
Yeah I’ve re adjusted the value on my tank multiple times , is it not a set and forget thing? Why do I have ti come back every week and turn the valve back open.
yep, tell me about it! Its made worst because I have a reefmat installed. I was thinking about getting a pico pump to stir the sump intermittently for a few minutes throughtout the day.
I entougjt if a small power head to push water through but

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a small Sicce Nano Voyager in my sump - works great.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back