Red Sea Reefer 350 for seahorses!

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I have been keeping seahorses off and on for about 8 or 9 years. I have had erectus (raised several hundred babies), reidi and barbouri. We moved a few years ago and I have been fighting the urge to get them again. Finally gave in and ordered a new Red Sea Reefer tank and stand. It should be here Friday and I have slowly been gathering equipment for it.

I have three barbouri coming tomorrow from another forum. The previous owner says he has had them together for at least a year. A combination of seahorsesource and Divers Den at LiveAquaria. They will go in my 25 cube for the time it takes to cycle the Red Sea. Eventually I plan on ordering several more from Seahorsesource once I get these three settled in to the new tank.

Equipment list:
Red Sea Reefer 350 (73G display tank with 18G sump)
2 Kessil 160s for lights. Would not be enough for my reef tank but fine for seahorses, softies and macro
a couple of tunze powerheads covered in mesh bags to keep tails safe
Will modify the return to be a surface spray bar with locline
1/15 Artica chiller
9W UV sterilizer
Reef Octopus 150 sss Skimmer

That's the major stuff anyway

I am going to take the black film off the back and leave it clear to my light colored wall behind the tank. ALso going to try to paint the outside of the bottom with a light sand colored, textured paint and go bare bottom for easier clean up. Will get a few snails for clean up and have some tonga rock I am going to re sterilize and use for hitches along with several gorgonians and different types of macro.

I would really like to try to raise barbs so hoping I can match up a few pairs and let nature takes its course!!

Will post some pictures as I go along.

JOE_2217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I have been keeping seahorses off and on for about 8 or 9 years. I have had erectus (raised several hundred babies), reidi and barbouri. We moved a few years ago and I have been fighting the urge to get them again. Finally gave in and ordered a new Red Sea Reefer tank and stand. It should be here Friday and I have slowly been gathering equipment for it.

I have three barbouri coming tomorrow from another forum. The previous owner says he has had them together for at least a year. A combination of seahorsesource and Divers Den at LiveAquaria. They will go in my 25 cube for the time it takes to cycle the Red Sea. Eventually I plan on ordering several more from Seahorsesource once I get these three settled in to the new tank.

Equipment list:
Red Sea Reefer 350 (73G display tank with 18G sump)
2 Kessil 160s for lights. Would not be enough for my reef tank but fine for seahorses, softies and macro
a couple of tunze powerheads covered in mesh bags to keep tails safe
Will modify the return to be a surface spray bar with locline
1/15 Artica chiller
9W UV sterilizer
Reef Octopus 150 sss Skimmer

That's the major stuff anyway

I am going to take the black film off the back and leave it clear to my light colored wall behind the tank. ALso going to try to paint the outside of the bottom with a light sand colored, textured paint and go bare bottom for easier clean up. Will get a few snails for clean up and have some tonga rock I am going to re sterilize and use for hitches along with several gorgonians and different types of macro.

I would really like to try to raise barbs so hoping I can match up a few pairs and let nature takes its course!!

Will post some pictures as I go along.
Wow sounds awesome! would love to see some pics. That's a large tank for sea horses! Good luck!

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It will hold about 3 pairs of barbouri. They are significantly smaller than reidi or erectus but I don't want to crowd them.

vlangel - Thanks! I have been on the forum in other areas but haven't contributed to the seahorse section much!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It will hold about 3 pairs of barbouri. They are significantly smaller than reidi or erectus but I don't want to crowd them.

vlangel - Thanks! I have been on the forum in other areas but haven't contributed to the seahorse section much!
With all your experience with different species, you have valuable information to share with the rest of us. Its great to have you join us!

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three barbs arrived today safe and sound. Been enriching some artemia for them to help get their appetites back and they seem to all be eating them up quickly! Adding some quick iPad pictures in a sunny room but hopefully you can still see them.

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t take the black paint off behind the overflow. Cut around it and keep it on over the overflow if not u will see the plumbing on the over flow box

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0487.JPG

Good point! Will watch that. Got a big bunch of red macro in, just hanging it from the fake plastic hitch for now after the fresh water dip. Too much for this tank (put a bunch in my reef tank too).
So here is their temporary home in my 25G Mr Aqua cube. They all seem to be moving well, breathing easy and eating both the live and some frozen I put in.

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredibly yes! I have missed having seahorses in my life!! Friday I should get the tank delivered. Then just have to build the stand and put it all together then paint bottom, cycle with ammonia, attach chiller etc etc! Should be able to have them transferred mid August or so.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good stuff! I will be following. I painted the bottom of my tank underneathe with a textured sandstone paint and I love the ease of maintenance, plus not having to be super paranoid about scratching the glass. I even use a mag-float again which I had not used in years with sand bottom tanks.
The hardest part was getting paint underneathe the tank bracing on the bottom. It worked out.

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like its going to be a great seahorse tank and can't wait to follow along as you get it set up. The ponies look great in your smaller tank - good luck with everything.

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I did clean up a lot of the "stuff" on the bottom of the little tank so I could more easily sunction out the detritus. Just one rock to help keep tank cycled and a couple of finger leathers. Hung all the macro on the plastic plant. Will do a 5-10 gallon water change tomorrow just to make sure all is well.

Courier for the Red Sea reefer called and said they had two pallets, 400 pounds, marked salt to deliver to me. Sure hoping it is the tank and stand lol!

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank arrived today on a big pallet. Haven't had a chance to even peak in the boxes. Should be a fun weekend!

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is built and sump is ready. Need to do some work on the tank though, peel off black backing and spray bottom.

Meantime Draco and Cassiopeia are courting in the 25G! Resting between twirls!

IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG

Back