OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the thread. I have a Red Sea E-260 with the sump upgrade and it's 16 months along. Instead of the ESV you may want to try the Aquaforest Component 1-2-3. I have been using it for a looooooong time now and am VERY happy with it. I get great growth out of all my corals. I dose 130ml of each every day and am maintaining Ca 450, ALk 10.5. I have attached photo below.

IMG_20200324_1751315.jpg
Beautiful tank! Seeing a bunch of successful tanks around the size of my 350 w/ multiple tangs. I might need to try this.

I'm looking at the EcoTech Marine Radion XR30 G5 Pros..not that I don't trust the RS LED90.. But want more light if needed. I added the purple Tang last month and he has taken over as boss man.. I'm running out of space but ordered some SPS to compliment the LPS in my tank.. I'm really liking my torch garden..
03312020.jpeg
Look at those corals! Heavy flow on torch garden? You still have your blue tang too?

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular tank maintenance completed yesterday. 10g wc, testing, new floss, cleaned ReefWave pump, etc... Lowest my nitrates have been in a long time... little worried they will bottom out. I plan to increase my feedings and turn my skimmer off for a bit during the day. Anxious to get a few fish added to the tank! Soon...

Sunday Test Results
Alkalinity 8.5 DKH (Hannah)
Nitrates 2 ppm (Red Sea Nitrate Pro)
Phosphates .04 ppm (Hannah ULR)
Salinity 1.025 sg
Temp 78.8 F

Dosed
ESV Part 1 - none
ESV Part 2 - none
Vibrant - None
Microbacter7 - 5ml
NeoNitro - None
NeoPhos - none

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular tank maintenance completed today. 10g wc, testing, new floss, etc... I unfortunately had my polyps bail on my indo frogspawn. Stinks, its was my favorite coral. I put some rubble in a small glass and placed the polyps in it. Ive seen a few people say they have had some success with this method while most say its a waste of time. I don't see how polyps will develop their own skeletal structure but its worth a try.

I did add 3 lyre tail anthias on Friday. Beautiful fish. I have been only able to get 1 to eat though... ive tried 2 different types of pellets, reef nutrition brine, nori and LRS reef frenzy.

I made my first @AlgaeBarn purchase today - pods coming. Pretty excited to try their product! Hopeful the anthias will take to the pods!

Sunday Test Results
Alkalinity 8.2 DKH (Hannah)
Nitrates 4 ppm (Red Sea Nitrate Pro)
Phosphates .03 ppm (Hannah ULR)
Salinity 1.025 sg
Temp 78.8 F

Dosed
ESV Part 1 - 10ml
ESV Part 2 - 10ml
Vibrant - None
Microbacter7 - 10ml
NeoNitro - None
NeoPhos - none

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday! Purchased a colt coral, neon green sinularia and utter chaos zoas (6-7 heads) from a local reefer this week. All 3 have adapted well to the tank! Anthias are still very finicky and just one appears to have an appetite. The pods purchased from AlgaeBarn were tiny, barely visible to the eye. Im not confident the anthias will see them or fill their gut with them. The 2 that do not eat are making me nervous...

Thursday Test Results
Alkalinity 8.2 DKH (Hannah)
Nitrates 2 ppm (Red Sea Nitrate Pro)
Salinity 1.025 sg
Temp 79.0 F

Dosed
ESV Part 1 - 10ml
ESV Part 2 - 10ml
Vibrant - None
Microbacter7 - None
NeoNitro - None
NeoPhos - none

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular tank maintenance completed today. 10g wc, new carbon, new floss, etc... The anthias seem to be settling in. I have 2 eating now, the 3rd one looks a little rough though... Also glued a few frags in place. Tank is looking great. Really enjoying it!

Dosed
ESV Part 1 - None
ESV Part 2 - None
Vibrant - None
Microbacter7 - 10ml
NeoNitro - None
NeoPhos - non

Last edited:

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what an incredible thread! I setup my Reefer 350 a few days ago and your early story is sounding very familiar already. My Red Sea Skimmer 300 is doing the same as yours and just spitting out tons of foam all over the place. Nearly had a heart attack yesterday as I noticed two large puddles of water on the floor & thought I had a leak but it was just where all the condensation build up inside the sump was draining down the walls and onto the floor.

I have the same question as you did initially about the level of the water in the skimmer chamber. To get the water level down to the recommended level for the skimmer you either have to drop the gate in front of the bubble trap right down or somehow raise the skimmer - which did you end up doing?

Did your skimmer sort itself out eventually just by leaving it running? I saw various suggestions such as removing the cup. Would be interested to know how you would advise dealing with things in the run-in period.

I'm also looking to get a Tunze Osmolator and get rid of the Red Sea ATO setup. Did you have any issues placing the magnets in the new sump design?

Thanks!

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what an incredible thread! I setup my Reefer 350 a few days ago and your early story is sounding very familiar already. My Red Sea Skimmer 300 is doing the same as yours and just spitting out tons of foam all over the place. Nearly had a heart attack yesterday as I noticed two large puddles of water on the floor & thought I had a leak but it was just where all the condensation build up inside the sump was draining down the walls and onto the floor.

I have the same question as you did initially about the level of the water in the skimmer chamber. To get the water level down to the recommended level for the skimmer you either have to drop the gate in front of the bubble trap right down or somehow raise the skimmer - which did you end up doing?

Did your skimmer sort itself out eventually just by leaving it running? I saw various suggestions such as removing the cup. Would be interested to know how you would advise dealing with things in the run-in period.

I'm also looking to get a Tunze Osmolator and get rid of the Red Sea ATO setup. Did you have any issues placing the magnets in the new sump design?

Thanks!
Good Morning! Thanks for stopping by. I lowered the skimmer gate as I did not want the skimmer sitting on top of anything - like egg crate. Lower the gate so the water line is right in the middle of the sticker on the adjustment stem. For the break-in period I would leave the cup on and open the drain line all the way to drain in the return pump section. Minimal waste in a new aquarium so no harm here. Let it drain till it no longer needs it. This may take up to a week. For the tunze magnet to work you will need to slide the sump as far to the left as possible. This will allow just enough room to place the magnet on the right side of the return section. You do not want the magnet in the water. Good luck and happy reefing! Again thanks for stopping by. I would suggest creating a build thread - would be interested in following along!

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning! Thanks for stopping by. I lowered the skimmer gate as I did not want the skimmer sitting on top of anything - like egg crate. Lower the gate so the water line is right in the middle of the sticker on the adjustment stem. For the break-in period I would leave the cup on and open the drain line all the way to drain in the return pump section. Minimal waste in a new aquarium so no harm here. Let it drain till it no longer needs it. This may take up to a week. For the tunze magnet to work you will need to slide the sump as far to the left as possible. This will allow just enough room to place the magnet on the right side of the return section. You do not want the magnet in the water. Good luck and happy reefing! Again thanks for stopping by. I would suggest creating a build thread - would be interested in following along!
Awesome - thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approaching 1 year with my Reefer 350! Regular tank maintenance completed today - was a day late based on my prior schedule - 10g wc, new floss, etc...

Misc Notes
- Purchased some @Bulk Reef Supply citric acid to clean my Red Sea ReefWave 45. Anxious to try it out when it arrives.

- I dose throughout the week but do not also note it on this thread. Ive been using the free app Aquatic Log for this. Having a hard time dialing in the amount of 2 part needed to sustain ALK at 8.5. Might be due to the new coral additions...

- The anthias are all eating! Was very nervous pulling the trigger on these but all seems well now.

Dosed
ESV Part 1 - None
ESV Part 2 - None
Vibrant - None
Microbacter7 - 5ml
NeoNitro - None
NeoPhos - non

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular tank maintenance completed yesterday. 10g wc, testing, new floss, cleaned ReefWave pump, etc...

Haven't had to dose Neophos or Neonitro for awhile now. Slowly figuring out my ESV 2 part schedule too. 8ish ml per day seem to be holding parameters steady.

Purchased a few zoas and a clove polyp from a local reefer the other day. They have adapted well to the tank.

Sadly had one of my anthias jump yesterday. Wasn't home when it happened so we lost him. All 3 were doing well and eating. Thinking about adding a small female but may just keep the 2 moving forward.

Sunday Test Results
Alkalinity 8.3 DKH (Hannah)
Nitrates 4 ppm (Red Sea Nitrate Pro)
Salinity 1.025 sg
Temp 77.9 F

Dosed
Microbacter7 - 5ml

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALK increased a bit this week as a result of daily 2 part. Have been dosing 8ml every day. Will back that down to 6ml moving forward and see where this puts me in a week or so. Everything is doing great in the tank!

Thursday Test Results
Alkalinity 8.9 DKH (Hannah)
Nitrates DNT
Salinity 1.025 sg
Temp 77.5 F

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular tank maintenance completed today. 10g wc and new floss. Tank looks nice and clean!

Sunday Test Results
Salinity 1.025 sg
Temp 77.5 F

Dosed
Microbacter7 - 5ml

Chad Jarnigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to set up my reefer 350. I have 1 red sea wave 45 how is yours working out? is that the only wave pump u r using?

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to set up my reefer 350. I have 1 red sea wave 45 how is yours working out? is that the only wave pump u r using?
Hey Chad thanks for stopping by. Single ReefWave 45 works great. More than enough pump for a 350. Mine is set at 40% on random.

Make sure you slide the sump as far to the left as possible if you plan on a tunze auto top off (the best imo). This will save you some time later...

Create a build thread! Would like to follow your build! Best of luck.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming up one 1 yr (May 26) with the Red Sea Reefer 350!

Friday Test Results
Alkalinity 8.9 DKH (Hannah)
PH 8.0 (API)
Nitrates 4+ ppm (Red Sea Nitrate Pro)
Phosphates .02 ppm (Hannah ULR)
Salinity 1.025 sg (Hannah)
Temp 78.8 F (Hannah)

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAPPY 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY TANK :) - Today is the day!

Just completed a 72hr black out on Saturday the 23rd... thought I saw some dinos and didn't want to take any chances. It wasn't that long ago I battled them for months and months. It was awful. No signs since Saturday.

My rainbow BTA split the other day. Have 2 nice sized anemones now! Hopefully clowns find 1 of them at some point.

Completed my tank maintenance today - 10g wc, new floss, etc... Moving forward I will be completing water changes every 10 days. I printed off some calendars to hang in my prep room to serve as visual reminders. Next WC will take place on 6/5.

Tuesday Test Results
Alkalinity 8.5 DKH (Hannah)
Nitrates 4+ ppm (Red Sea Nitrate Pro)
Phosphates .03 ppm (Hannah ULR)
Salinity 1.025 sg (Hannah)
Temp 78.8 F (Hannah)

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your 1 year...

I know its been a struggle but glad to see you still at it..

You should post a pic of the tank with every weekly post, would be great to look back at all the progress.

I did find running higher nitrates po3 10-20 and Phos po4 .1-.2 have eliminated all signs of dinos.. Coral looks happier too.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your 1 year...

I know its been a struggle but glad to see you still at it..

You should post a pic of the tank with every weekly post, would be great to look back at all the progress.

I did find running higher nitrates po3 10-20 and Phos po4 .1-.2 have eliminated all signs of dinos.. Coral looks happier too.
Thanks man! I need to do more tank shots for sure - just haven't pulled the trigger on one of those filters for my iPhone. I will though! Im trying to keep my nutrients high. I autofeed 3 times a day as well as feed a chunk of LRS Reef Frenzy (sometimes 2). The Red Sea Skimmer is just to good!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back