Red Sea Reefer 350 w/ 2 ReefLED 90's & 1 ReefWave 45

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned on my new red sea reefer RSK 300 skimmer. This is my first skimmer... understand there is a break in period. It is overflowing w/ bubbles which I believe is normal. I have the dial turned all the way down/turned to the minus direction. I have the drainage tube emptying in the bubble trap foam area right now. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

IMHO... it's your new filter socks that are making your skimmer go crazy. If you can, raise the skimmer up an inch or two, that will reduce the overflow. Everything will go back to normal in a day or two and you can lower it back down.

Albertan_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Xam! Same - new neohtherms arrive tomorrow. And yes, a controller is in my future.

I just turned on my new red sea reefer RSK 300 skimmer. This is my first skimmer... understand there is a break in period. It is overflowing w/ bubbles which I believe is normal. I have the dial turned all the way down/turned to the minus direction. I have the drainage tube emptying in the bubble trap foam area right now. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6828.jpeg

Remove your skimmer cup during cycle, this will give it time to break in while also allowing your tank to cycle properly.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just plugged in my neotherm 300's. Eheims are officially going back.

Hearing mixed suggestions on shutting off skimmer, removing cup, etc... during cycle. I realized I was pretty far above the recommended water line on the control stem. I need to get a skimmer stand and raise the skimmer up 3/4 inches. Reading in other posts this will help.

Albertan are you suggesting I remove the cup and still run the skimmer? I just want to ensure I got this right.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 9 (Tuesday)
Add Fish - Per Dr Tims Recipes for Success

Day 10 (Wednesday)
Unable to test water

Day 11
Ammonia .5 ppm
Nitrite 5 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
PH 8 ppm

My cobalt neotherms are dialed in! They are reading consistently between 76.9 and 77.8. Very happy I switched from the Eheims to the Neotherms.

Added a single small blue damsel from a LFS on Tuesday the 4th. Eating LRS Frozen Reef Frenzy. Will not be adding any other livestock till ammonia and nitrites read zero.

First water change will happen this weekend. During the water change I will be able to slide my sump over just enough to get my tunze ATO magnet in place. Looking forward to setting up my ATO!

I plan on purchasing a skimmer stand very soon as well (currently unplugged). Need to get it raised up to the required waterline.

Thanks for following along! Gladly welcome any comments or suggestions!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 12
Did not check

Day 13
Did not check

Day 14
Ammonia .25 ppm (slight reduction)
Nitrite 5 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
PH 8 ppm

Tomorrow - 25% water change and Tunze ATO set up.

Albertan_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just plugged in my neotherm 300's. Eheims are officially going back.

Hearing mixed suggestions on shutting off skimmer, removing cup, etc... during cycle. I realized I was pretty far above the recommended water line on the control stem. I need to get a skimmer stand and raise the skimmer up 3/4 inches. Reading in other posts this will help.

Albertan are you suggesting I remove the cup and still run the skimmer? I just want to ensure I got this right.

Yes sir! Remove the cup and let it run, you won’t be overflowing your cup, and the water will go back in the tank, this will allow the skimmer to break in properly while you cycle the tank, with out removing anything

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning! Performed a 20 gallon water change yesterday which would be close to 25% on this system when you factor in rock, equipment, etc... Was able to get my Tunze magnet/sensor mounted in the return as well (finally). Will be finishing the ATO install very soon. Still confused on this skimmer set up - everyone has very different opinions/ideas on what to do. Appreciate everyones help and suggestions as they truly do help!

Posted this in the Red Sea Reefer Facebook Group...

Good Morning, Looking for some help w/ my new reefer 350 and V3 sump. I just bought the rsk 300 skimmer. When installing the skimmer I noticed the water line in the sump is well above the water line indicator on the control stem of the skimmer. This produces crazy foam and it spits out of the top uncontrollably...making a giant mess. I need to lower the water line and can do so w/ the adjustable skimmer gate in the V3 sump. The directions during setup suggest lowering the gate just 1cm (which is where I have it today). Am I okay to lower the gate all the way to meet the water line indicator on the skimmer control stem? Also If i did this, my bubble trap foam/sponge now sits higher than the gate. I assume this needs to sit lower than the gate so the water pours over on top of it instead of crashing into it. Could I cut the sponge to reduce its height? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was told to drop the gate to meet the waterline on the skimmer stem (which makes sense to me) and to remove the sponge "as most don't use them" (which doesn't make sense to me). Another suggestion to get egg crate to lift up skimmer...

Im leaning towards dropping the gate to meet the stem, cutting a few inches of the height of the sponge, plugging the skimmer in and removing the cup per Albertan Reefs suggestion and then monitor it after a couple days to see if its producing any muck/slime. This would require me to reposition my ATO magnet as the water level in the return chamber would be different w/ the gate drop. Not an easy task as there is no room on the magnet side to attach sensor. I had to balance the magnet on a ruler to get it attached :).

Day 15
Did not check

Day 16
Did not check

Day 17
Ammonia 0 ppm (!)
Nitrite 2 or 5 ppm (tough to tell this time)
Nitrate 20 ppm
PH 8 ppm

Surprised Nitrite is still this high...

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer gate in the v3 sump dropped to the needed water line for my red sea skimmer 300. I removed the bubble trap foam entirely for now (shared opinion that these are nitrate factories... idk). Skimmer is on. I have the drainage line dumping into a container currently. I will replace that water w/ saltwater. Fingers crossed this works. Would really like to get this skimmer dialed in.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few updates.

Skimmer is getting dialed in! Tunze ATO high water alarm has been triggered a number of times in the last few days. Roger w/ Tunze is great to work with, he quickly returned my call and responded to all of my followup emails ... the unit is brand new and he says like most equipment in this hobby, it just needs time to break in. Need some time for bacteria to coat the bottom of the optical eye. If I still have issues come Monday, he is replacing it for me. Love great customer service!

Day 18
Did not check

Day 19
Did not check

Day 20
Ammonia 0 ppm (!)
Nitrite 1 ppm

Getting close to getting these orange storms or mochvincis added!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 21
Did not check

Day 22
Ammonia 0 ppm (!)
Nitrite .25 ppm (Getting closer!)

The cycle is taking a little but longer than I expected...

Roger w/ Tunze is sending me a replacement pump as the original failed already, it was vibrating noisily w/out pumping any water. Have had a few issues w/ controller as well but chalking that up to it being new equipment... not broken in yet. Roger has been great to work with! Will be nice to get this working the way its supposed to!

Sounds like the Red Sea Reef Wave Gyre will be released very soon... will be a nice addition to this tank. Also considering the NYOS torq media reactor. Anyone have experience w/ this reactor? Suggest something different?

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wrapped up a 10 gallon water change today (did a 20 gallon wc on 6/11) and ordered a yellow tang and some cuc members from LiveAquaria. I was disappointed to find they were out of banded trochus snails - I will head to my local fish store and grab a couple of those.

CUC
Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab - 12 Pack - Tiny $ 7.09
Nassarius Snail, Tiny - 10 Pack $ 6.99 (x3)
Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab - $ 3.00 (x3)
Cerith Snail - 5 Pack $ 6.50 (X4)
Emerald Crab $ 6.50
Fighting Conch - Medium $ 7.50

CUC Summary
Blue Hermits 12
Scarlet Reef Hermits 3
Emerald Green 1
Nassarius 30
Cerith 20
Conch 1

Fish
Yellow Tang (Hawaii) - Small/Medium $ 38.99

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters have remained steady - no ammonia or nitrite, nitrate around 5.

Yellow tang is becoming a bit more comfortable in the tank. Tang has not eaten a thing though... no interest yesterday or today so far. Spoke w/ @LiveAquaria this morning they informed me that it takes awhile for them to fully acclimate and to not be concerned. If he/she has NOT eaten anything in 3 days to contact them back. Their live chat function is super easy and helpful!

fullsizeoutput_52dd.jpeg

Last edited:

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a yellow tang to my (recently cycled) reefer 350 also...

I got mine to eat using nori (technically 'Two Little Fishies Sea Veggies') on a clip attached to the front glass. It has also helped him/her/it to be less skittish and more active when people are around.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some fish can take up to a week to eat, so I wouldn't be worried for a few days. If it doesn't eat, try something else. mysis usually does the trick.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some fish can take up to a week to eat, so I wouldn't be worried for a few days. If it doesn't eat, try something else. mysis usually does the trick.

Just checked out your reefer tank build, looks great NBURG! Little concerned about your experience w/ the flame angelfish. Ive wanted one since I was a kid and that fish is one of the reasons I purchased the reefer 350 - was originally looking at much smaller tanks. Still gonna give it a try...

Also anyone have iPhone camera or video tricks/tips? Everything is bright blue/purple :(

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked out your reefer tank build, looks great NBURG! Little concerned about your experience w/ the flame angelfish. Ive wanted one since I was a kid and that fish is one of the reasons I purchased the reefer 350 - was originally looking at much smaller tanks. Still gonna give it a try...

Also anyone have iPhone camera or video tricks/tips? Everything is bright blue/purple :(
It nipped some stuff to where things didnt grow well, but most things did. I got rid of him mainly because I want to start switching over to SPS and I like polyp extension. Plenty of people have SPS and have it grow well with angels, you might just have to sacrifice PE.

As for iPhone pics. there are several tutorials on the photography forum here. turn you LEDS to more white spectrum when taking pics. Cameras don't do well with lots of blue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back