Red Sea Reefer 350 w/ 2 ReefLED 90's & 1 ReefWave 45

clabern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just calibrated my eheims, both were running about 2 degrees warmer than the factory setting. Aquarium should drop from 80.4 to around 78 by the morning.

Attempted to hook up my Tunze 3155 ATO but a little confused on the best approach w/ the reefer 350. I did not have enough space in the return pump area to set the sensors so I'm thinking about putting the sensors in the refugium chamber (water is very calm here, its next to the lower door bracket in pic). I was planning on mounting the return line at the top of the tank next to the overflow box to avoid any potential back siphoning. The v3 sump comes w/ a larger freshwater reservoir compared to the prior models so I will be using that tank (sits right on top of sump) for my rodi water. I believe it holds 4.7 gallons.

My question to you... any issues w/ mounting sensors in the dedicated refugium space in the V3 sumps? Putting the pump in freshwater tank (pump is in the freshwater tank in the pic) and running the return line to the top next to the overflow box?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0263.jpeg

The ATO sensor must go in the return chamber, as that should be the only chamber in your sump with varying water levels due to evaporation (your fuge and skimmer chambers should always maintain the same water levels, due to the baffling).

You should be able to place the ATO sensor in the return chamber nearest the front (door) buy placing the "outside" magnet in either the drain pipe chamber or under the filter sock area IF the outside magnet is waterproof. I'm not sure if it is or not though, just an idea.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. You are both right. It needs to go in the return chamber - this is my first sump, im glad I asked for help! Im not sure its waterproof? Its the Tunze 3155. My first water change will be next weekend - im going to drain the sump and move it over as close to the door hinge as possible. This will give me just enough room to mount the magnet on the outside right of the return pump chamber. I will still use the ato tank included w/ the reefer and run the line up to dump fresh next to the overflow box.

Clabern just checked out your Reefer 250 build - looks great! How did you post a link to your tank in your signature? I cant figure that out either :).

Dub_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a link in your signature if you are a Reef2Reef supporter. It costs $25 year and there are other upgrades to the website that you get as a supporting member.

clabern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. You are both right. It needs to go in the return chamber - this is my first sump, im glad I asked for help! Im not sure its waterproof? Its the Tunze 3155. My first water change will be next weekend - im going to drain the sump and move it over as close to the door hinge as possible. This will give me just enough room to mount the magnet on the outside right of the return pump chamber. I will still use the ato tank included w/ the reefer and run the line up to dump fresh next to the overflow box.

Clabern just checked out your Reefer 250 build - looks great! How did you post a link to your tank in your signature? I cant figure that out either :).

Sounds good with moving your sump to have enough room to mount the sensors' magnet. I have my ATO fill line going into my skimmer chamber, just above the water. You may want to go ahead and plan on an external and/or separate ATO container, not only does the included one not hold very much water, it becomes very annoying over time with it being in your way when doing maintenance on the sump, but should work for you for now. I would make sure you connect some sort of siphon break just in case (since your ATO reservoir is above the sump).

As for the signature link - all I did was go to my member page (Click your username in top right), then "Signature" on the left. From there you can create whatever signature you'd like (I'm not a supporting member, and it allowed me to create a link...).

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Clabern. I was watching some videos and understood that if i mount the discharge tube above the pump like I'm planning to do, back siphoning isn't a possibility. Im putting the discharge next to the overflow box at the top of the display tank. Sensor in return pump chamber, pump just above in the red sea ATO tank, return line at the very top of tank. Agree?

Im with ya on the ATO reservoir... I will likely be looking for a new one very soon. It will go in the empty cabinet to the right of the sump. Will need to be careful w/ all the wiring there though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3
Ammonia 1 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm
PH 8 ppm

No change.

Since my ammonia and nitrite values are not over 5... I am adding an additional 4 drops per gallon of Dr Tims ammonia per instructions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot get these Eheims dialed in! Frustrating. Im running 2 150 watts in my sump. Read that having 2 smaller heaters is safer than 1 large one. I tried again tonight. We will see what the result is in the morning.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Returning Eheims, cannot get them dialed in. Saltwateraquarium.com has been great to work with! They just sent me a prepaid label.

Ordered Cobalt 300W Neotherm. Have had success with them previously. Looking forward to this change. Also looking forward to getting this tank cycled so I can add fish and turn the lights back on!

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the tank. My new Reefer 350 is at the 4 week part of its cycle.

I have my 3155 sensors in the return section, that seems to be where most people recomend. I also ditched the standard red sea ATO reservoir and use those cheap 5g water storage containers on the right side of the stand. The Tunze pump fits perfectly in the hole, and the water outlet will always be higher than the pump to prevent any siphoning. I just change out the jug every 5 days with a new one (no pouring water into another container).

57w63n_1_2.1542634630.jpg

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked out your build thread! Hope you are enjoying the Reefer 350 as much as I am. Did you mount the Tunze sensors on the right side of the return chamber? Between the sump and the cabinet divider? I like your approach to the ATO. I think ill be in the market for a new container as well.

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked out your build thread! Hope you are enjoying the Reefer 350 as much as I am. Did you mount the Tunze sensors on the right side of the return chamber? Between the sump and the cabinet divider? I like your approach to the ATO. I think ill be in the market for a new container as well.

I have the old V1 sump with the return chamber on the left side. There is a small gap between the sump and the cabinet wall with enough room for the sensor magnet. It probably won't help but I can take a picture if you need it.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do send a pic if you get some time, always interested in seeing the layout of others sumps.

Day 6
Ammonia 1 ppm
Nitrite 1 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm
PH 8 ppm

Xam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool build! Following.

I hope you have more luck with the cobalts. I'd recommend a controller of some sort so you dont have to worry about brands or factory accuracy.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Xam! Same - new neohtherms arrive tomorrow. And yes, a controller is in my future.

I just turned on my new red sea reefer RSK 300 skimmer. This is my first skimmer... understand there is a break in period. It is overflowing w/ bubbles which I believe is normal. I have the dial turned all the way down/turned to the minus direction. I have the drainage tube emptying in the bubble trap foam area right now. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6828.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert D'Amaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will calm down after there is enough organics in your tank like fish food and fish waste. May want to shut it off till you finish your cycle.

You might also want to do a major water change to get your nitrates down. You need ammonia and then nitrites. Not nitrates yet. They may be coming off your rock.

Good thread I will by following.
Thanks

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back