Red sea reefer 3XL 900 g2+ - Plumbing

CmtCousteau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I will soon receive a 3xl 900, I plan to move the sump in a room behind the tank, from what I know the main drain is 40mm and drilling a hole of that size in the wall could be a problem (we've got the tool for 35mm). It's possible to make a reduction to 32mm ? Or the flow will be to low ?

Thank you for you're help.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible yeah, but why don't you just get a drill bit for a 45 mm hole? ;) That will save you a lot of headache and the tank will remain plumbed to the makers specifications (minus your modifications!).

If not, just have someone come and drill the hole for you. It will be fast, cheap and done right (... hopefully!)

Great idea with the sump in a separate room, though! Share pictures when you get underway!

OP
OP
C

CmtCousteau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yes, it will be simpler to drill at 45mm, but with this kind of size it require very specialized tools (the wall is probably made of concrete or/and stone, and it measures about 20cm. But, we will change the approach, and make several small holes and make a "big" hole at the end, so no more change needed finally. The aquarium was delivered this morning.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yes, it will be simpler to drill at 45mm, but with this kind of size it require very specialized tools (the wall is probably made of concrete or/and stone, and it measures about 20cm. But, we will change the approach, and make several small holes and make a "big" hole at the end, so no more change needed finally. The aquarium was delivered this morning.
That sounds like a good approach :) I recently paid a local tradesperson to do a similar job here through a 50 cm outer wall, mainly concrete.

£50 and half an hour. Job done :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back