Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL Deluxe Build!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local community near me sucks. Closest people are 2 hr drive to Boston. And I hate the cities. #countrybumpkinreefer

Seems like so many in this hobby are in the midwest and south. Merrrr

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @HotRocks!!!!! So I am glad I just found your build thread! I love you and @4FordFamily! So I just took the plunge over the weekend and bought the Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL. I am upgrading from my Innovative Marine SR80. I am using all the rock 80lbs from my current system, buying another 80lbs or so that is curing as we speak....new sand....etc. I currently have the EchoTech MP40 but I am adding a second one....I have two EchoTech XR15s and I am adding a third one.....this time around I am having my LFS bring the tank, do the set up, and move my current fish, coral, and nems to new system. New tank should be in next week. I will do a build thread. I finally talked my husband into a new tank. LOL! I am nervous though because I have had my fish so long, and they are doing great, including 5 Leopards and a Earmuff Wrasse that took me forever to find. I want the transition to be seemless....is there any tips? Am I worried for no reason? Current tank pics..... thanks in advance! [emoji16]
adc2abfa9cadad6d7ff8a3b85c0b8866.jpg
542ab8c5667c2a64a0d4361549d2ef32.jpg
cd7ee5ce093dcb272072c3f0e41f7e88.jpg
2c2e53760151b65baf0e9f7ca4d1101e.jpg
bb8785c15f08153bb80f454235c7a25e.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words! Catching those wrasse in the sand won’t be fun. I keep trying to get a red coris that isn’t DOA I kept several over the years. Super jealous!

Other than that keep prime in their large Rubbermaid bin with a heater and bubbler and you should be fine :)

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words! Catching those wrasse in the sand won’t be fun. I keep trying to get a red coris that isn’t DOA I kept several over the years. Super jealous!

Other than that keep prime in their large Rubbermaid bin with a heater and bubbler and you should be fine :)
Thanks for responding!!!!! I did pm you and @HotRocks! Should have done that first [emoji57]! Luckily my new Aquarium will be in my living room the same as my old one but in a different spot. So my new one will be up and running until everything is over in the new tank! So I am happy about that!!!

I love my Red Coris....he was a inch long juvi when I got him almost 3 years ago....I have to glue all coral down... because he is strong and will topple everything! LOL!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how goes the moorish idol?

did he survive his run in with the clam? I saw he did initially. what are you feeding this large mix of tangs and other pretty and some very difficult fish?
I'm sad to report after that incident he stopped eating and did perish. It was a bad day for me. The clam unfortunately didn't live either through the being pryed open to release the fish.

I am currently in the middle of helping stock @4FordFamily's new wall tank. Once all these fish are through QT I will get another one. It was one of my favorite fish. My 3+4 year old daughters took it hard that their "Gill" died too. :(

I feed a mix of high grade frozen prepared food including LRS. I also feed 2 full sheets of nori daily for all of my tangs.

I add things to frozen like selcon, vitachem, zoecon. I rotate each batch of food that I make.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sad to report after that incident he stopped eating and did perish. It was a bad day for me. The clam unfortunately didn't live either through the being pryed open to release the fish.

I am currently in the middle of helping stock @4FordFamily's new wall tank. Once all these fish are through QT I will get another one. It was one of my favorite fish. My 3+4 year old daughters took it hard that their "Gill" died too. :(

I feed a mix of high grade frozen prepared food including LRS. I also feed 2 full sheets of nori daily for all of my tangs.

I add things to frozen like selcon, vitachem, zoecon. I rotate each batch of food that I make.
Oh no....just saw this! He was so beautiful!!!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno why I never noticed, but nice MAC toolbox. I'm green with envy!
Lol! I am a tool snot! Love my tools. I actually have a buddy that is a dealer so I get stuff at a very good price. My big box is at my shop. I will have to upload a pic sometime. It is not as bright but much larger!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeeesh @4FordFamily doesn’t even allow you time to update your own build?! I think you need to renegotiate that contract! GifMcjones.... LOL. Tough luck losing the Idol and the clam. Hopoe all’s well otherwise!
Building his tank and QTing all these fish has been quite consuming. I do have some cool wrasses in QT right now so hopefully I will have a fish update soon!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! I am a tool snot! Love my tools. I actually have a buddy that is a dealer so I get stuff at a very good price. My big box is at my shop. I will have to upload a pic sometime. It is not as bright but much larger!
Well at least you didn't sell your soul and first born for Snap-on.

Jason Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Devaji
You recently inquired about my stocklist. I overstock so don't judge me please :eek:
As of today:
1 Bangai Cardinal
2 PJ Cardinals
Cardinals will be rehomed soon to make room for new fish! They just don't do anything for me!

1 Flame Hawk
1 Regal Angel
1 Flame Angel
1 Potters Angel
1 Checkerboard Wrasse
1 Melanarus Wrasse
1 Solar Fairy Wrasse
1 Lineatus Supermale Wrasse
1 Meleagris Leopard Wrasse (F)
1 Ornate Leopard Wrasse (Transitioning)
1 Bluestar Female Leopard Wrasse (F)
1 Moyeri Leopard Wrasse (M)
2 Potters Leopard Wrasse
1 Desjardini Sailfin
1 Purple Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang
1 Powder Blue Tang
1 Powder Brown Tang
1 Achilles Tang
1 Clownfish

I very possibly could have missed a fish or two... :) I have never listed it like that. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Sweet Tank Bro.
I saw you have multiple tangs. Are you having trouble with the Achilles fighting with the powder brown and the kole eye.?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet Tank Bro.
I saw you have multiple tangs. Are you having trouble with the Achilles fighting with the powder brown and the kole eye.?
Mine all get along for the most part. My yellow is the problem child.

My Achilles chases my powder blue, but never more than a lap around the tank. My powder brown was a holy terror in QT but relaxed quickly in DT.

I have a 6"+ sailfin that "keeps the peace".

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank build and fish!

I’m planning a 750xxl build (3 months away). I was wondering what sand you went with. I have 4 leopards and one yellow coris. I’m looking for something that will satisfy their needs without blowing all over the place. I promised myself 3 years ago that I’d never go with sugar-sized oolite again. What a mess.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank build and fish!

I’m planning a 750xxl build (3 months away). I was wondering what sand you went with. I have 4 leopards and one yellow coris. I’m looking for something that will satisfy their needs without blowing all over the place. I promised myself 3 years ago that I’d never go with sugar-sized oolite again. What a mess.
Thank you!

I just used good ol caribsea ocean direct live sand. It has some fines. .25mm-6.5mm.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back