Red Sea Reefer ATO Float Valve

JOE_2217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there with a reefer have issues with the float valve getting clogged? The tiny opening in mine keeps getting this pinkish build-up on it that prevents it from flowing. It seems like there has to be a better way to run the ATO. I really hate having to worry about it. Thanks in advance.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people have had similar problems with the reefer ATO.

This is why I went with a stand alone reservoir and Tunze osmolator for top off duties.
If you keep the stock system you just have to check it often to make sure it is working properly.

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an issue (knock on wood). I don't know if it makes a difference but I have my float valve set to allow the maximum water for the return chamber.

OP
OP
JOE_2217

JOE_2217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an issue (knock on wood). I don't know if it makes a difference but I have my float valve set to allow the maximum water for the return chamber.

Did you adjust the float value itself or just the valve that's on the freshwater line?

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there with a reefer have issues with the float valve getting clogged? The tiny opening in mine keeps getting this pinkish build-up on it that prevents it from flowing. It seems like there has to be a better way to run the ATO. I really hate having to worry about it. Thanks in advance.

Forgot to ask, are you running kalk in your ATO?

OP
OP
JOE_2217

JOE_2217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to ask, are you running kalk in your ATO?
No, just straight RO/DI. It seems like there is just some slimy aglae type stuff that clogs the little hole. It almost ran my pump dry last night....

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the water level in the return section high enough to contact the outlet that the RO/DI water comes out of?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works much better without the little needle valve. Just run hose straight from the reservoir to the float. Red Sea said it was okay to do it this way. I give the hose a pinch every so often to force some water through and clear any debris. I have various ATOs lying around but like the simplicity and tidiness of the Red Sea ATO.

OP
OP
JOE_2217

JOE_2217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the water level in the return section high enough to contact the outlet that the RO/DI water comes out of?
Not normally, but when I cut the main pump off to feed or do maintenance it does get covered.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works much better without the little needle valve. Just run hose straight from the reservoir to the float. Red Sea said it was okay to do it this way. I give the hose a pinch every so often to force some water through and clear any debris. I have various ATOs lying around but like the simplicity and tidiness of the Red Sea ATO.

Sorry for the bump, I have a new Reefer 250 and already having issues with their stock ATO. If you remove the little needle valve and run the hose direct is there any issue of adding too much water?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float controls how much water is dispensed, not the needle valve.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the purpose of that valve to shut off the water supply from the ATO if you ever have to remove it to do some maintenance below it?

That's always what I assumed because it really doesn't need to be there.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's always what I assumed because it really doesn't need to be there.

Using the small ATO tank that comes with the Reefer 250 and sits on top of the sump is there a way to use a different ATO mechanism that doesn't involve a float or do I have to purchase a new tank as well?

Mario P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a Tunze ATO. Never had any issues. You can run the pump out of the small ATO tank or use a bigger tank if you want to refill it less often.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze ATO. Never had any issues. You can run the pump out of the small ATO tank or use a bigger tank if you want to refill it less often.

Which Tunze ATO do you use? Also with the Tunze is it ok to leave the RS on top of the sump like you would do with the RS float or should I place it on the floor of the cabinet to the right of the V3 sump?

Mario P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the Tunze 3155 for my reefer 350. I have a larger ATO container next to my stand. My sensor is mounted inside the return pump section of the sump and the water line from the ATO pump tubing drains into the top of the tank into the overflow. I lose about a gallon of water a day in evaporation so I went with a larger ato container and removed the small res that came with the Red Sea system.
If you want to keep the Red Sea ato tank then just keep it in the cabinet and run the water line from the tunze ato pump into the overflow on top of the tank. The drain line has to be higher than the pump.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tunze 3155 for my reefer 350. I have a larger ATO container next to my stand. My sensor is mounted inside the return pump section of the sump and the water line from the ATO pump tubing drains into the top of the tank into the overflow. I lose about a gallon of water a day in evaporation so I went with a larger ato container and removed the small res that came with the Red Sea system.
If you want to keep the Red Sea ato tank then just keep it in the cabinet and run the water line from the tunze ato pump into the overflow on top of the tank. The drain line has to be higher than the pump.

Can you upload a picture of your setup?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back