Red Sea Reefer-S 1000 Pump Selection

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a Red Sea Reefer-S 1000 (82.7'x26.75"x25.6") predominately SPS mixed reef with shallow sand bed. The tank is eurobraced, so the aesthetics of excessive wiring is a concern. Obviously, I do not want anything mounted on the front glass, and would prefer to keep at least one side clear as well. I currently have (4) MP60s on my 900 3XL (2 on each side) and I find the wiring to be somewhat of an eye sore. I've used 6105s on my old 210 gallon reef with excellent results.

Any suggestions?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6105's or 6150's would be my recommendation. 6105's are nice because you can angle them, but the 6150's are quieter, have a longer warranty and last longer and if you mount them on the back behind rock work they can be very discrete. I would use at least 2 but for SPS 3-4 would not be out of the question. Both will be difficult to impossible to find right now, we should get 6150's back in next month, 6105's likely in September.

OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the recommendation Roger!

I know it will depend on rock work, but exactly how would you recommend mounting the 6155’s? Do you think I could get away with (4) 6155’s mounted on the back wall considering the internal overflow of the Red Sea would block a full tank flow path?

Would a combination be better… (2) 6105’s and (2) 6155’s? If so, mounting recommendations?

Are there any examples of similar sized tanks and setup?

What would you do if this were your tank?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6155 is discontinued, I was talking about the 6150 Stream 3. The 6150's mount on the back wall horizontally and basically fill the tank with flow, the most discrete tends to be one over the other on the back center, one pointed left, one pointed right. I use them in this same manner on my 265. Adding 2 6105's on the side so you can aim them would be great, I have 4 6150's 2 make a wave, 2 create directional current and I would like to add 6105s but with the short supply for the last couple years, I just haven't had the opportunity.

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're a reefer that uses a Neptune Apex, I suggest the Neptune WAVs. Single thin cable and place them on the back wall. They get a little loud when a snail shell is rubbing against the magnet, but easy to maintenance. You would easily run 4 WAVs on the s1000.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Euro bracing poses a bit of a challenge - as you're less able to conceal any wires along the edge of the tank.

Parker's Reef runs a nice setup with four MP60s along the back and two Tunzes on the upper back left/right sides. I run a pair of Red Sea ReefWave45s myself that have been performing great the year or so that I've had them.

OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6155 is discontinued, I was talking about the 6150 Stream 3. The 6150's mount on the back wall horizontally and basically fill the tank with flow, the most discrete tends to be one over the other on the back center, one pointed left, one pointed right. I use them in this same manner on my 265. Adding 2 6105's on the side so you can aim them would be great, I have 4 6150's 2 make a wave, 2 create directional current and I would like to add 6105s but with the short supply for the last couple years, I just haven't had the opportunity.

@rvitko Looks like I may have found some Stream 3+ and may give them a try. You mentioned a minimum of 2 Stream 3, but up to 4 for SPS. I'm setting up a traditional tank (rock work down the middle lengthwise) so eventually, there will be a wall of SPS corals blocking flow from front to back. How do you recommend mounting (4) Stream 3+ on the back of the tank? Any pictures or more details on your setup?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I have mine set up, this is an older pic and to get more flow I turned the two upright ones horizontal, the flow rectifier give you the most forceful furthest reach flow, the deflectors fan the flow out and it is much weaker in reach and coverage. The other two are in the middle, one pointing left, one pointing right, one is about 8" from the top, the other is about 10" from the bottom, do not go to close to the bottom with these, they backwash once a day for a minute or so and this will make a heck of a sandstorm if you are too close to the sand and any sand that gets in the pump can damage it.

Attachments

• IMG_2907.jpeg
    IMG_2907.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I have mine set up, this is an older pic and to get more flow I turned the two upright ones horizontal, the flow rectifier give you the most forceful furthest reach flow, the deflectors fan the flow out and it is much weaker in reach and coverage. The other two are in the middle, one pointing left, one pointing right, one is about 8" from the top, the other is about 10" from the bottom, do not go to close to the bottom with these, they backwash once a day for a minute or so and this will make a heck of a sandstorm if you are too close to the sand and any sand that gets in the pump can damage it.

Thanks for the detailed response. Looks like only one of the Stream 3+ was available, so I cancelled the order for now. I may just get four when available. Any idea when that might be?

Not to keep dragging this out, but I'm still a little concerned about placement; especially, since I have a 20"x5" internal overflow to complicate things. If mounting to the overflow, I assume the pump should have a clear shot towards the end of the tank, which will significantly limit the rock work. Also, if mounting on the back glass, on either side, I assume there will be significant sand blow out at the overflow or back corners (depending on placement).

IMG_0623.PNG

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly how mine are mounted, on the center overflow. My tank is 30" wide so I have the room, but if the rock was open lower or didn't go so high, in a 3D orientation that would work and I will say one of my bigger regrets with my tank is how much rock I have, as time has gone on, it just traps detritus, rocks shade other areas, it may be an advantage to plan for less rock. I had specific goal in mind, ledges for clams, a high shelf for macros so the tangs couldn't eat them, dark areas for non photosynthetic corals. Unfortunately my butterflies eat the clams and the tangs could care less if they have to swim sideways and do some crazy fighter jet maneuvers to eat the algae. I am considering a major reset with a lot less rock.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back