Red Sea reefled 50 or 90?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t own a red sea tank I got a cheap second hand tank which is just over 3ft long(95cm) 1ft wide and a depth of (50cm)

the Red Sea reef led 50 covers 50x50cm
And the reef led 90 covers 60x60

will the reef led 90 be overkill due to the small width of the tank ?

I need a new light as one of my cheap hipargero/aqua knight leds has packed up and don’t want to lose my corals I have two 30watts

what’s everyone’s thoughts I got sps and lps corals

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go 90 and turn down if need be

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go 90 and turn down if need be
Yeah I could run it lower it’s a 30g long so it’s very narrow being only 30cm in width so the 90 over the 50 ? I guess can always use acclimation mode and start low and ramp up slowly. Last thing I need is this expense been off work with covid for the past 20 days

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 90 won't effectively light a 3" tank. You'd need two 50's which is what I run on the rsr250.
The issue I have is the width of the mounting arm my tank is only a 1ft wide (30cm) the smallest arm for a 50 is 36 to 51cm so it wouldn’t fit I would probably get away with a 90 and matching 90 mounting arm as I could side mount it.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue I have is the width of the mounting arm my tank is only a 1ft wide (30cm) the smallest for a 50 is 36 to 51cm so it wouldn’t fit I would probably get away with a 90 and matching 90 mounting and I could side mount it
or 2 50's and side mounting them. What he's saying is that if mounted in the middle it won't reach the sides... you'd need two no matter which route you go. It just doesn't have the reach to the outer edges so you'd have the center of your tank lit and nothing on the sides lit.

Edit: On my Flex, which is 32.5" wide I have to run 2 AI Prime HD's to light the entire thing, and it's 3.5" shorter than your tank.

Edit 2: The primes are only $30 more and have 10 extra watts and from what I can tell a better spectrum than the RedSea's. There's also the Maxspect Jump to consider, $212 (currently on sale) for 65 watts.

Last edited:

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RL90 and it's a good light, but a poor choice for that size tank. I'd highly suggest looking at something like the Reef Breeders photon

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or 2 50's and side mounting them. What he's saying is that if mounted in the middle it won't reach the sides... you'd need two no matter which route you go. It just doesn't have the reach to the outer edges so you'd have the center of your tank lit and nothing on the sides lit.

Edit: On my Flex, which is 32.5" wide I have to run 2 AI Prime HD's to light the entire thing, and it's 3.5" shorter than your tank.

Edit 2: The primes are only $30 more and have 10 extra watts and from what I can tell a better spectrum than the RedSea's. There's also the Maxspect Jump to consider, $212 (currently on sale) for 65 watts.

Yeah I hear that my tank is only 12inches wide just over 37.4 inches long so I’m going to need two reefled50 either way ?

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RL90 and it's a good light, but a poor choice for that size tank. I'd highly suggest looking at something like the Reef Breeders photon
Wow that’s a beast my mrs won’t let me spend that money until the house move next year as planning on a massive tank upgrade but don’t want the pain of moving the other two tropical tanks in the house plus a larger reef tank over 2 - 3 hours away so unfortunately I’m stuck with what I’ve got till we move. I can only get the new lights as one of my cheapo ones has broken

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s a beast my mrs won’t let me spend that money until the house move next year as planning on a massive tank upgrade but don’t want the pain of moving the other two tropical tanks in the house plus a larger reef tank over 2 - 3 hours away so unfortunately I’m stuck with what I’ve got till we move. I can only get the new lights as one of my cheapo ones has broken
I sent you a PM, hopefully it works for you, I didn't realize you were in the UK at first, but go ahead and try it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t own a red sea tank I got a cheap second hand tank which is just over 3ft long(95cm) 1ft wide and a depth of (50cm)

the Red Sea reef led 50 covers 50x50cm
And the reef led 90 covers 60x60

will the reef led 90 be overkill due to the small width of the tank ?

I need a new light as one of my cheap hipargero/aqua knight leds has packed up and don’t want to lose my corals I have two 30watts

what’s everyone’s thoughts I got sps and lps corals

2 of the 50's would be perfect. 2 90's would be overkill but could be used later on a larger tank (or you could buy more 50's for a larger tank which is arguably better)

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent you a PM, hopefully it works for you, I didn't realize you were in the UK at first, but go ahead and try it.

Wow your generosity is highly appreciated if the world was full of people like you the world would be a better place however with the cost of shipping and the time it would take to get get here my corals would be on the edge of death so unfortunately I cannot use it thank you so much though I need something I can grab from a lfs asap tomorrow or somewhere that will deliver Tuesday the latest

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of the 50's would be perfect. 2 90's would be overkill but could be used later on a larger tank (or you could buy more 50's for a larger tank which is arguably better)
That’s two votes for two 50’s online with the brackets that would equate to around £450 but that’s online prices I’m sure my lfs will be less generous when it comes to discounts one vote for one 90 so far I’m limited to what is available locally

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s two votes for two 50’s online with the brackets that would equate to around £450 but that’s online prices I’m sure my lfs will be less generous when it comes to discounts one vote for one 90 so far
2 50s would be better than one 90.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s two votes for two 50’s online with the brackets that would equate to around £450 but that’s online prices I’m sure my lfs will be less generous when it comes to discounts one vote for one 90 so far I’m limited to what is available locally

You can always go with a cheaper light too. Reef Breeders, noopsyche, etc.

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at noopsyche as @JNalley has been kind enough to drop me a promo code just waiting on a response for uk shipping time

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back