Red Sea reefled 90 "houston we have a problem"

klavmaister

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2023
Messages
372
Reaction score
96
Location
Norway
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought two rl90 used, they have been used for about 14 months in another tank before I bought them. After two months of use with me I decided to pop off the lid of one lamp dident spinn. Thought at first it was the lamp where the fan dident spinn that was the problem. When I opened the lid I was a little surprised...Salty residue? no, burnt dust? no....It is the paint on the cooling fins that is peeling off. that lamp where the fan didn't turn, I got it working again, but see that the ball bearing or something has rusted. it may appear that the lamps do not tolerate moisture well, or that the heatsink/fan is undersized.

Red sea claim the coolingribs are aluminium, but am i double....
Screenshot_20230416_083245_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230416_083253_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230416_083301_Gallery.jpg
 
Looks like aluminum corrosion to me.
Aluminum will expand and contract with heating and cooling. The powder coat probably created a cracks with that process and corrosion followed. In reality if you want to fix it, take the heat sink off, sand blast it and paint it with with a paint that has elastomers in it like vinyl or bumper paint.
 
it looks more like 14 years of use rather than 14 months.. my ReefLeds 90s are pristine clean inside (3 years of use) - only the fan collects some dust..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new