Red Sea Reefmat micron rating change?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey all,

Along with my return valve issues, I noticed something else. I bought 10 extra rolls for my Reefmat 500 when I first purchased it. Everything went just fine.

I recently ordered six more rolls from BRS. These new rolls, same Red Sea brand of course, seem like the micron rating is lower and they restrict water MUCH more than before. It's an obvious difference and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the difference?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Going to buy a few more rolls myself. Are you going thru rolls faster? Water is more filtered? My rolls seems to last forever. Last roll lasted 113 days

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Going to buy a few more rolls myself. Are you going thru rolls faster? Water is more filtered? My rolls seems to last forever. Last roll lasted 113 days

No, not faster, it's like they're thicker and would catch more and flow less. The original reefmat footers were 200 micron, it's like the ones I have are 100 micron and that would catch smaller particles, but slow water flow significantly.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah maybe, I've been tinkering with it and have it fairly worked out. It doesn't do well if you have your return pump turned down, it needs a higher water flow to stay consistent. So far so good, but there was definitely a change as I hadn't changed any settings before.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back