Red Sea ReefMat vs. Reef Factory Smart Roller?

becky46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox Marine X 110.4, and I would really like to get a filter roller. I've been looking at the Red Sea and Reef Factory ones. Both look great, but I'm struggling to pick between the two. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, particularly the Reef Factory Smart Roller. I'd also be curious to hear if you think there are any other brands worth looking at. Thanks!

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I just got the reef factory m for the 6035 peninsula. Brs said the competing Red Sea reef mat that would fit would deplete too fast.

I’m waiting for the plumbing as the dang WB and the reef factory are both metric and I live in the US. Really really stupid to sell products in the US with metric plumbing and not include adapters.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea ReefMat 500 and it works great...too great. I have a low bioload as I have been adding fish/coral slowly and my po4 and no3 always read 0 (using Hanna). Since the ReefMat doesn't have a built in bypass (as far as I know) the only thing I have think to do is turn it off (using my Apex) at certain times during the day which effectively bypasses the fleece.

When I read your post I took a quick look at the Reef Factory Roller and it appears to have a flow adjustment flap which would allow you to bypass some water all the time. So that's one thing to consider.

Other than working too well, I really like the Red Sea.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I switched from the ReefMat once the 2nd motor burned out.

I switched to the Roller M about 45 days ago. I was going thru a roll about every 33-35 days with the ReefMat 1200. I'm still on the first roll of the Roller M. Build quality of the ReefMat is really unmatched in the space, but for me, the Roller M seems good thus far.

OP
OP
B

becky46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the reef factory m for the 6035 peninsula. Brs said the competing Red Sea reef mat that would fit would deplete too fast.

I’m waiting for the plumbing as the dang WB and the reef factory are both metric and I live in the US. Really really stupid to sell products in the US with metric plumbing and not include adapters.
Just to make sure I'm following--are you saying you need special plumbing to connect the Waterbox tank to the Reef Factory roller?

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Just to make sure I'm following--are you saying you need special plumbing to connect the Waterbox tank to the Reef Factory roller?
Yes. If you go to the plumbing section at Lowes or Home Depot, it won’t work. You need metric unions, elbows, etc. 40mm, which is the drain plus other plumbing is metric, on my peninsula 6025, won’t fit US measurements.

Waterbox has the diameters of their plumbing if you go to their website and select your aquarium and scroll down.

edit: you also need 40mm or whatever size in MM pvc pipe.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. If you go to the plumbing section at Lowes or Home Depot, it won’t work. You need metric unions, elbows, etc. 40mm, which is the drain plus other plumbing is metric, on my peninsula 6025, won’t fit US measurements.

Waterbox has the diameters of their plumbing if you go to their website and select your aquarium and scroll down.

BRS sells conversation fittings. Adaptive reef makes them. Makes it much simpler.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have no experience with the reef factory but do have a roller mat 500. It works very well. So well I just removed it because I think it's pulling too much out and corals are not happy.

Not sure if @Lbrdsoxfan has any experience with the reef factory rollers but is very knowledgeable on rollers in general.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just deburr the metric to make the fit. @ChampionLighting graciously offered to do it for me when I purchased mine from them.

The reef factory roller is fantastic btw. And I boycott red sea for other reasons.

OP
OP
B

becky46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do, but 40mm is like $15. You’d need two since the reef factory is also metric. Your convert to US then back to metric.
Wouldn't you also need 40mm piping to connect to the roller input?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have no experience with the reef factory but do have a roller mat 500. It works very well. So well I just removed it because I think it's pulling too much out and corals are not happy.

Not sure if @Lbrdsoxfan has any experience with the reef factory rollers but is very knowledgeable on rollers in general.
Haven't played with a reef factory yet, if they get enough traction (as in additional US distributors) I'll get one via my aquarium maintenance contact. I have played with a red sea roller and they were a big meh for the price. Now seeing them in the field for a bit I was right on that prediction, lol.

My suggestion is neither brand, get a cheap bubble magus or aquamaxx and be done with it, does the same thing for 1/2 the price and cheaper cost to replace the rolls.

rm22_newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just deburr the metric to make the fit. @ChampionLighting graciously offered to do it for me when I purchased mine from them.

The reef factory roller is fantastic btw. And I boycott red sea for other reasons.
Hi, I bought a ReefMat 500 and lets just say Im not too happy and was looking to get the Reef Factory unit now that they are on sale with BRS, etc. Where can you find the sizes like in metric or US of the 90 elbow used for the Reef Factory? I will have to buy from Champion if they offered to do this, I am horrible when it comes to plumbing. Any help would be appreciated!

rm22_newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

rm22_newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where did you get the 40mm pipe from? I haven't been able to find it, any build specifics would be great, I did find the 40mm to 1.25" adapter from BRS... https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/metr...=12431&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

rm22_newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox Marine X 110.4, and I would really like to get a filter roller. I've been looking at the Red Sea and Reef Factory ones. Both look great, but I'm struggling to pick between the two. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, particularly the Reef Factory Smart Roller. I'd also be curious to hear if you think there are any other brands worth looking at. Thanks!
Hi Becky, which model did you end up choosing?

Dorking It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I used

1000003419.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back