Red Sea Reefrun 9000 is very noisy

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I recently replaced my simplicity 3200 DC return pump with a reefrun 9000 - Mainly so I could gain the ability to use the new dual controller and have my return and skimmer pumps both on the Red Sea app, maybe even adapt the RS skimmer sensor to my ultra reef Akula skimmer. I was under the impression that the RS pump is just a rebranded Sicce 9.0 SDC with a few minor changes. That pump has a good reputation.

All that to say - No that it's installed (properly, just like my simplicity) it make a VERY loud hum. Audible from probably 20'. Surely there must be something wrong with mine? Anyone else have the same issue?

Red Sea have been almost no help. Send a video, verified the usual dumb questions, every email takes at least a day to get a reply. I think ultimately they'll just say the problem is in my head. Not happy.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sicce SDC pumps are one of the louder DC pumps in my experience. My SDC 6.0 has a very noticeable hum, especially compared to the Jebao dc pump I was using before. You can help it some by using silicone tubing and putting a silicone mat under it, but it’s not going to be as quiet as the Simplicity was.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to sicce pumps being loud (and also unreliable IME). For return pumps I like the Vectra series. I also did not have a good experience with their gyre style pumps and returned those. I do like their dosing pumps though.

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am in the same exact boat as you. It took several emails of me asking for a phone call because the one email a day was not helping at all.
I sent multiple videos. They sent me a replacement impeller assembly which made no difference. They are in the process of sending me a 7000 to see if that one is quieter. Their response is that the 9000 is such a strong pump that it could be that it is too strong for my system (even though I only had it running at 50%).
Prior to this, I had a Varios-8 which is rated at 2700gph compared to the 9000 2500gph and the Varios was SILENT. Now, I can hear my 9000 from the next room over.
I am pretty disappointed in the noise level. I took out my reef octopus skimmer and Varios to switch to Red Sea and I’m regretting it. I’m going to give the 7000 a try and if that doesn’t work, I’m going back to reef octopus.
Extremely disappointed.

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I received the 7000 and for me to get the flow I needed, I had to have it set at 100% compared to the 9000 60%. At 100%, the 7000 was just as loud as the 9000. So I returned the 7000. Stayed with the 9000. Noise had not gotten better but I have gotten used to it.

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have VarioS-4 and is very quiet. Wanted to combine things within the ReefBeat app since I may do the DC Pump Skimmer upgrade, but if more noise, no need to replace the return pump at this time. Oh well.

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have VarioS-4 and is very quiet. Wanted to combine things within the ReefBeat app since I may do the DC Pump Skimmer upgrade, but if more noise, no need to replace the return pump at this time. Oh well.
That’s exactly why I switched from my varios8 and varios2 skimmer. I wanted all Red Sea since I already had the Reefmat and reef waves. I definitely prefer the Varios 8 and reef octopus skimmer. Both are super great quality compared to Red Sea. I settled with Red Sea though for the ease of the app

lobster 1963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I recently replaced my simplicity 3200 DC return pump with a reefrun 9000 - Mainly so I could gain the ability to use the new dual controller and have my return and skimmer pumps both on the Red Sea app, maybe even adapt the RS skimmer sensor to my ultra reef Akula skimmer. I was under the impression that the RS pump is just a rebranded Sicce 9.0 SDC with a few minor changes. That pump has a good reputation.

All that to say - No that it's installed (properly, just like my simplicity) it make a VERY loud hum. Audible from probably 20'. Surely there must be something wrong with mine? Anyone else have the same issue?

Red Sea have been almost no help. Send a video, verified the usual dumb questions, every email takes at least a day to get a reply. I think ultimately they'll just say the problem is in my head. Not happy.
Hi mate …..I’ve just done exactly the same thing …..swapped over to Red Sea app for skimmer reefmatt and return pump ……pump nose is unbearable I even tried running it at 30% but couldn’t stand it…..I’ve had my ecotec for 5 ears and it’s silent in comparison…..same as you Red Sea just game me some bs and said maybe run it at %50 for a few days *** really ……I was led to believe they were quiet ….mine is definitely not acceptable …..I’m taking it back tomorrow for the shop to take a look …..
even the skimmer pump upgrade is noisier than the a/c version it s the big skimmer but even so it like a vibration hummm …..really annoying

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I searched for Thai thread before purchasing a RedSea RSK 600 protein skimmer and RedSea Reefrun 7000 DC Pump. I have the same issues as the others here: The RedSea 7000 emits a very noticeable hum even when running at 10%. I tried running the pump at 60% for a week and the noise is not better, or is worse. I can hear the pump when standing 20+ feet away. Super annoying! I have a Varios6 running my manifold. Even when I pump the Varios6 to 100% it is dead silent. I am now going through the customer service process with RedSea. I mostly just want to get my money back so I can buy a replacement pump from a better manufacturer.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart move. When it is time to replace the return pump (likely years from now), I will not be going with RedSea or Sicce.
Out of curiosity - why not Sicce?

I ended up going with Sicce instead of Varios because - to my shock - Varios doesn't have an app.

Sicce has a fantastic warranty and they'll just straight up send you replacement pumps when you have issues.

They're also quiet

I'm upgrading from 3.0 to 7.0

Not sure what's going on with the reef run pumps and why they're so loud

Hammy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Hi All,

I had the same noise problems with my Redsea 9000 (Return Pump). It took a lot of patience from myself when Redsea asked probably the same stupid questions they asked you over multiple emails, even asking me to download a decibel Ap and video the pump running.
I also have the Redsea 5500 (Manifold) which I thought was quiet until I cut my losses and bought a Vectra M2 (for my return pump) which so far has been amazing and quiet!
It was annoying as my idea was to buy everything Redsea so as to use the same Ap (Reefbeat) for all my equipment.
I have 3 No Redsea 160s LEDs, 2 No Reef wave 45s (Extremely quiet even at full power), 1 No 1200 reefmat, 1 No 900 DC Skimmer, the 5500 pump and 1 No 4 way reef doser.
I am new to the hobby after a 16 year break. I have to say the other redsea equipment mentioned above is in my opinion brilliant and the redsea reef beat Ap amazing.
In the end Redsea refunded the 9000 pump and gave me the option of replacing it with the 7000 and refunding the difference, looking on line other people say that the 7000 is also noisy so I opted for the M2.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back