Red sea reefwave 45

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my old Jebao with the new Reedwave 45. First thoughts are in seems really nice. Seems well made, and had nice flow. This is my first gyre pump. I can now see what people mean by how they put out a "dispersed blanket of flow". I had issue getting it to connect to their Reefbeat app, but eventually got it to connect. The app is nice too. My tank is a 125 gallon 6ft tank. I have a mp40 on each end, but needed some good flow in the middle. This seems to fit the bill nicely. I currently just have it running at constant forward at 40%. Have yet to set a schedule or play with the patterns.

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 2 Redsea Reefwave 45's on my Reefer750 and I am very happy with them. The App is user friendly and the flow patterns are easy to set. My tank is 6' and have each reefwave on the sides facing each other.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 2 Redsea Reefwave 45's on my Reefer750 and I am very happy with them. The App is user friendly and the flow patterns are easy to set. My tank is 6' and have each reefwave on the sides facing each other.

What mode do you run in? Do you have a schedule you could share?

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My night mode runs at 20% and the other modes ramp up 60% to 90% max. That will differ with your size tank. I included my schedule.

IMG_0993.jpg

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are the reefWave 45's working for you guys now? Are they holding on the glass well? Easy to clean? Any issues? Thinking about two of them for an upcoming NUVO 100 EXT build. Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the reefWave 45's working for you guys now? Are they holding on the glass well? Easy to clean? Any issues? Thinking about two of them for an upcoming NUVO 100 EXT build. Thanks for your input!

I love mine. And the magnet is great. And it's very east to clean. And the Reefbeat app is great. I have mine running forward and reverse, it really helps at keeping the sandbed clean.

Thomas Burton did this video about them on BRS the other day

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ReefWave 45 have the same issues/complaints about maintenance as the other gyre pumps? Does output dropoff quickly as the pump ages as people have said of the other gyres? I've never owned any of the gyre style pumps but I would like to know how these compare to the others regarding maintenance and durability.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ReefWave 45 have the same issues/complaints about maintenance as the other gyre pumps? Does output dropoff quickly as the pump ages as people have said of the other gyres? I've never owned any of the gyre style pumps but I would like to know how these compare to the others regarding maintenance and durability.
I have never owned another gyre, so I can't compare. But I don't notice any drop off, and I don't clean mine often. Clean mine maybe every 3 months or so

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never owned another gyre, so I can't compare. But I don't notice any drop off, and I don't clean mine often. Clean mine maybe every 3 months or so
Thanks. 3 months is reasonable. I've read a lot complaints about other gyres needing cleaning every couple weeks, which is a little more than I would like.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I second that...about every three months for me as well...sooner if there is substantial algae build up. I don't really notice any drop in output either. Easy to disassemble\reassemble (color coded) and clean. I use a five gallon bucket and citric acid; drop in all the parts, let them soak for a while and hit them with a scrub brush.

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They easy to clean... I clean mine every few weeks do to algae. Once the algae builds up you can see a difference in power, but that's true for any powerhead.

Reefwaves also come with extra bushing that are easily replaceable. I've read that this is the main reason for loss of power in gyre over time.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine. And the magnet is great. And it's very east to clean. And the Reefbeat app is great. I have mine running forward and reverse, it really helps at keeping the sandbed clean.

Thomas Burton did this video about them on BRS the other day

How do you get yours to run in reverse? I haven't really seen mine go in reverse yet. I have it set to random pulses and it says it should go in reverse but I have never really seen the water move in a different direction

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get yours to run in reverse? I haven't really seen mine go in reverse yet. I have it set to random pulses and it says it should go in reverse but I have never really seen the water move in a different direction
On the reefbeat app there is an option to set the reverse duration to longer if that helps. It seems on most settings it runs on forward the majority of the time, and reverse maybe 10-20% of the time

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the reefbeat app there is an option to set the reverse duration to longer if that helps. It seems on most settings it runs on forward the majority of the time, and reverse maybe 10-20% of the time
Yeah I saw that. When yours goes in reverse do the lights on the controller go in a different direction? I also haven't seen my controller show the opposite way

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it, I had to turn on alternate. By default it's turned off. Now it works

Royal With Cheese!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey stevem650 - I know this thread is really old but….you mention running two of them on opposite walls facing each other. How do you like that? I’m installing my second one in my 170 gallon tank (6’) and trying to decide on the location of them - opposing sides, both on back wall facing forward, on sides of overflow facing sides of tank….any input?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey stevem650 - I know this thread is really old but….you mention running two of them on opposite walls facing each other. How do you like that? I’m installing my second one in my 170 gallon tank (6’) and trying to decide on the location of them - opposing sides, both on back wall facing forward, on sides of overflow facing sides of tank….any input?
I have two 45's on my back wall running at 80% random on my 100g and like them very much.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back