Red Sea salt “new formula”

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i‘ll just say I’m cautiously optimisitc? I’ve used only this salt for ages and I don’t like change. The new formula thing hasn’t gone well for others but maybe they’ve gone with a better purity magnesium to compete with Tropic Marin.

• The parameters of the water after mixing have not changed. Changes in some of the raw materials have improved solubility and water clarity.”
  • The parameters of the water after mixing have not changed. Changes in some of the raw materials have improved solubility and water clarity.
  • The improved raw materials that enables a faster and cleaner mix have a higher moisture content, so slightly more salt is required to produce the same volume of salt water.
72C89017-0A76-4D1B-9316-9DB03A365BFE.png

Last edited:

Nano Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i‘ll just say I’m cautiously optimisitc? I’ve used only this salt for ages and I don’t like change. The new formula thing hasn’t gone well for others but maybe they’ve gone with a better purity magnesium to compete with Tropic Marin.

• The parameters of the water after mixing have not changed. Changes in some of the raw materials have improved solubility and water clarity.”
  • The parameters of the water after mixing have not changed. Changes in some of the raw materials have improved solubility and water clarity.
  • The improved raw materials that enables a faster and cleaner mix have a higher moisture content, so slightly more salt is required to produce the same volume of salt water.
72C89017-0A76-4D1B-9316-9DB03A365BFE.png

Same… Soon as I saw the email I questioned it… I’ve used the pro for years (it’s also the pro as well) and I don’t like change… I have yet to try the new salt I asked on the Red Sea fb group & nobody replied… I guess I’ll try customer support & see what they say… Don’t want it to be like the tropic marin issue & lots of people end up loosing their tanks

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same… Soon as I saw the email I questioned it… I’ve used the pro for years (it’s also the pro as well) and I don’t like change… I have yet to try the new salt I asked on the Red Sea fb group & nobody replied… I guess I’ll try customer support & see what they say… Don’t want it to be like the tropic marin issue & lots of people end up loosing their tanks

Typically faster mixing/solubility means better purity so fingers crossed. It’s just so rare that a company genuinely improves a product at the same price point that has me weary. I have a bucket I’ll crack into with my next batch of water within a week so I’ll at least have a baseline parameter test.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess someone better send @rtparty a new bucket to retest! I‘d hope @Bulk Reef Supply will have some content coming on this once they test it. They do love Tropic Marin but I’d wager Red Sea as a company accounts for much more $ sales for them where they have to look at it.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guess someone better send @rtparty a new bucket to retest! I‘d hope @Bulk Reef Supply will have some content coming on this once they test it. They do love Tropic Marin but I’d wager Red Sea as a company accounts for much more $ sales for them where they have to look at it.

Salt testing is happening again soon ;)

I don’t have this on the way but would gladly test it if sent

I’d also be shocked to see BRS test any salts going forward. They seemed to have moved on from that. Thomas might do a spotlight on it if I had to guess

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt testing is happening again soon ;)

I don’t have this on the way but would gladly test it if sent

I’d also be shocked to see BRS test any salts going forward. They seemed to have moved on from that. Thomas might do a spotlight on it if I had to guess
Test this. I do not think you can improve on Mother Nature. Red Sea has some salt from the Red Sea in it, but they also blend in the lab stuff in with it. I have turned to getting mine straight from the Sea of Cortez. Sea 90 Reef salt just launched as an all natural straight out of the ocean salt, and I was excited to find it not living anywhere near the ocean. Would it kill Red Sea to offer an all natural straight out of the ocean salt, yet they play with the elements to try to boost what Mother Nature already did? Lately in the salt industry this does not seem to be working out well. Not consistent.

"Sea-90 Ocean Life Complete Sea Salt is an all-natural mineral and trace element rich sea salt for all marine life. Sea-90 is unprocessed and unrefined, preserving valuable macro and trace mineral nutrients. Sourced from the pristine Sea of Cortez, Sea-90 can be used to recreate what Jacques Cousteau once called “The World’s Aquarium.” Enjoy a perfectly balanced marine ecosystem that your animals will naturally thrive in.

• Naturally Recreate the Sea of Cortez
  • Unprocessed and Unrefined
  • Lab-Tested Micro-Plastic and Contaminant Free
  • Supports All Aquatic Operations "
https://www.sea-90.com/products/sea...nnh-bdX1sqi2mH6.Whm42d&variant=44406038003998
1678469746059.png

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Test this. I do not think you can improve on Mother Nature. Red Sea has some salt from the Red Sea in it, but they also blend in the lab stuff in with it. I have turned to getting mine straight from the Sea of Cortez. Sea 90 Reef salt just launched as an all natural straight out of the ocean salt, and I was excited to find it not living anywhere near the ocean. Would it kill Red Sea to offer an all natural straight out of the ocean salt, yet they play with the elements to try to boost what Mother Nature already did? Lately in the salt industry this does not seem to be working out well. Not consistent.

"Sea-90 Ocean Life Complete Sea Salt is an all-natural mineral and trace element rich sea salt for all marine life. Sea-90 is unprocessed and unrefined, preserving valuable macro and trace mineral nutrients. Sourced from the pristine Sea of Cortez, Sea-90 can be used to recreate what Jacques Cousteau once called “The World’s Aquarium.” Enjoy a perfectly balanced marine ecosystem that your animals will naturally thrive in.

https://www.sea-90.com/products/sea...nnh-bdX1sqi2mH6.Whm42d&variant=44406038003998
1678469746059.png

After reading through their stuff, just sounds like a dirty, naturally evaporated salt. They even tell you it’s full of silt. Have you found this to be true?

What are the levels? They are very vague and all over the place in their descriptions.

If they want to send it and an ATI ICP test, I’ll test it but I don’t have the budget to add this

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically faster mixing/solubility means better purity so fingers crossed. It’s just so rare that a company genuinely improves a product at the same price point that has me weary. I have a bucket I’ll crack into with my next batch of water within a week so I’ll at least have a baseline parameter test.
It’s this that should draw attention:
More salt drives increase of sale. Price per gallon will increase.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s this that should draw attention:
More salt drives increase of sale. Price per gallon will increase.

Agreed yeah I saw that. Especially since it already makes considerably less than advertised when mixed to 35ppt.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting but I think im gonna stick with red sea myself as even sea-90 states that the product varies depending on when it is collected. Red sea at least does icp testing of their batches. Im even hesitant to try the new red sea formula as it has worked well for me in the past and already mixes pretty fast. Idk what this picture is on their site but it looks more like gravel than salt

Screenshot 2023-03-10 140048.png

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I nerded hard into this over lunch.

New mix ratio for 35ppt is 40.3 g/l
Old ratio is 38.2 g/l

going off current BRS pricing for 175gal bucket-
old - 55¢/gal
new- 58¢/gal

It was 48¢/gal if bought in the 200g bag. Red Seas website does not list this as one of the 3 available sizes but I did see an image of updated bag graphics so maybe they just don’t list it.

The new bucket does display the actual gallons it makes (171-147gal @ 30-35ppt) which I appreciate. Others do not do this.

If the salt costs 3¢ more per gallon and mixes cleaner and has a tiny bit more mag (1310 vs 1280 old advertised) it’s 100% worth it to me!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so I nerded hard into this over lunch.

New mix ratio for 35ppt is 40.3 g/l
Old ratio is 38.2 g/l

going off current BRS pricing for 175gal bucket-
old - 55¢/gal
new- 58¢/gal

It was 48¢/gal if bought in the 200g bag. Red Seas website does not list this as one of the 3 available sizes but I did see an image of updated bag graphics so maybe they just don’t list it.

The new bucket does display the actual gallons it makes (171-147gal @ 30-35ppt) which I appreciate. Others do not do this.

If the salt costs 3¢ more per gallon and mixes cleaner and has a tiny bit more mag (1310 vs 1280 old advertised) it’s 100% worth it to me!

I need to figure out if BRS has the new formula on hand since I need to order some stuff from them anyway. I might grab some of this salt.

Do you think there is any value in adding a price per gallon to my testing parameters? I hesitate because prices can vary wildly depending on promos, sales, and vendors.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to figure out if BRS has the new formula on hand since I need to order some stuff from them anyway. I might grab some of this salt.

Do you think there is any value in adding a price per gallon to my testing parameters? I hesitate because prices can vary wildly depending on promos, sales, and vendors.

It would definitely add a dynamic to the test with the additional metric of letting readers attribute value for $ spent and level the field a bit for those salts that boost their advertised gallon size on the packaging.

The tricky part being MSRP on most salts being similar at BRS, SW Aquarium, Premium Aquatics, etc but IO and RC being way cheaper from Amazon and Petco.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting but I think im gonna stick with red sea myself as even sea-90 states that the product varies depending on when it is collected. Red sea at least does icp testing of their batches. Im even hesitant to try the new red sea formula as it has worked well for me in the past and already mixes pretty fast. Idk what this picture is on their site but it looks more like gravel than salt

Screenshot 2023-03-10 140048.png
There is no gravel in it. I am using it right now. Those are salt crystals. They're showing how tiny the salt crystals are. Because it is straight out of the ocean you will get a little silt at the bottom of your mixing bucket. They test their salt very well as they sell to restaurants their Baja Gold salt, human eat. All their salt batches go through testing.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through their stuff, just sounds like a dirty, naturally evaporated salt. They even tell you it’s full of silt. Have you found this to be true?

What are the levels? They are very vague and all over the place in their descriptions.

If they want to send it and an ATI ICP test, I’ll test it but I don’t have the budget to add this
You get a little silt at the bottom of the mixing bucket. I am glad. That shows it is salt right out of the ocean, not adulterated. The Sea of Cortez is still one of the most pristine oceans in the world. Sea 90 is not messing with the salt, just natural right out of the ocean. If it gives my corals a boost, I can live with some silt at the bottom of my bucket. I am starting to shy away from the lab salts. Mother Nature gives the ocean all it needs. I want to try this after trying all the others. If the salt is a little different batch to batch with Sea 90, how can Mother Nature salt go wrong? It can't unless the ocean goes very wrong. They are adding nothing compared to the other guys that are mixing their brew of the week.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1678469746059.png

Perhaps you cannot beat Mother Nature, but you also cannot use only dried seawater to make seawater. Some things precipitate and will never redissolve, such as calcium carbonate.

Not sure if this is a crap mix, or misleading advertising.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea 90 is not messing with the salt, just natural right out of the ocean. If it gives my corals a boost, I can live with some silt at the bottom of my bucket. I am starting to shy away from the lab salts. Mother Nature gives the ocean all it needs. I

You've been duped.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you cannot beat Mother Nature, but you also cannot use only dried seawater to make seawater. Some things precipitate and will never redissolve, such as calcium carbonate.

Not sure if this is a crap mix, or misleading advertising.
I was thinking the same thing thing with insoluble precipitate, but do you know what precipitates out or if it is due to the concentration of the solution or a certain temperature used for the drying process? Just curious

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back