Red Sea salt “new formula”

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no gravel in it. I am using it right now. Those are salt crystals. They're showing how tiny the salt crystals are. Because it is straight out of the ocean you will get a little silt at the bottom of your mixing bucket. They test their salt very well as they sell to restaurants their Baja Gold salt, human eat. All their salt batches go through testing.
makes sense, just looked very coarse which is annoying for dissolving anything. Are you sure they test every batch? I dont see that anywhere on the page or bag that shows this. I dont know much about salt making and how they have to test the batches or even if they are even required to test every batch

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing thing with insoluble precipitate, but do you know what precipitates out or if it is due to the concentration of the solution or a certain temperature used for the drying process? Just curious

Calcium carbonate precipitates as seawater is dried at any temperature. Other things such as trace elements may as well, but that is not as well studied.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you cannot beat Mother Nature, but you also cannot use only dried seawater to make seawater. Some things precipitate and will never redissolve, such as calcium carbonate.

Not sure if this is a crap mix, or misleading advertising.
Sea 90 is being used in big aquaculture facilities in California. The salt goes through a lot of testing. Sea-90 is unprocessed and unrefined, preserving valuable macro and trace mineral nutrients. This company has been around for a long time. They just sold on an industrial level, not to the hobby. I have been using it and my tank is testing 420 calcium, which is the level in natural seawater. Red Sea is also out of the ocean, but their salts are a blend of natural and lab salts , so only these two offered something from nature. I know that my clams are growing like mad. If you want to contact them and ask more questions Randy Holmes-Farley their email is [email protected]. I fall short of all the science stuff. You are the expert there. I know my tank and animals seem to be doing well with the salt. All my clams are growing and having white new shell. What you brought up should be addressed. I really hope you look into this further as they will be marketing it to our reef hobby.
Perhaps you cannot beat Mother Nature, but you also cannot use only dried seawater to make seawater. Some things precipitate and will never redissolve, such as calcium carbonate.

Not sure if this is a crap mix, or misleading advertising.

Last edited:

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MinnieMouse2 can you start a new thread about Sea 90? Trying to keep this one on topic for the salt MANY people use and have great livestock stake in.
Will do. When you brought up Red Sea it got me to thinking about nature. Red Sea is a blend of natural Red Sea salt and lab salt.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've been duped.
I just sent Sea 90 an email with your concerns. Do you have an email I can send them when he gets back to me? I have over time emailed them a lot and they always respond back with answers to my questions. You have brought up new questions. Send me a private message.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test this. I do not think you can improve on Mother Nature. Red Sea has some salt from the Red Sea in it, but they also blend in the lab stuff in with it. I have turned to getting mine straight from the Sea of Cortez. Sea 90 Reef salt just launched as an all natural straight out of the ocean salt, and I was excited to find it not living anywhere near the ocean. Would it kill Red Sea to offer an all natural straight out of the ocean salt, yet they play with the elements to try to boost what Mother Nature already did? Lately in the salt industry this does not seem to be working out well. Not consistent.

"Sea-90 Ocean Life Complete Sea Salt is an all-natural mineral and trace element rich sea salt for all marine life. Sea-90 is unprocessed and unrefined, preserving valuable macro and trace mineral nutrients. Sourced from the pristine Sea of Cortez, Sea-90 can be used to recreate what Jacques Cousteau once called “The World’s Aquarium.” Enjoy a perfectly balanced marine ecosystem that your animals will naturally thrive in.

• Naturally Recreate the Sea of Cortez
  • Unprocessed and Unrefined
  • Lab-Tested Micro-Plastic and Contaminant Free
  • Supports All Aquatic Operations "
https://www.sea-90.com/products/sea...nnh-bdX1sqi2mH6.Whm42d&variant=44406038003998
1678469746059.png

Natural levels do not mean better levels. It is a common fallacy that people think the environment of which an organism naturally lives in is the ideal environment. It never is. In fact, it can often be an absolutely horrible environment for an individual. No organism lives in their ideal environment. Arguably, natural sea water parameters are worse than parameters of salt mixes when it comes to aquariums, because aquariums are nothing like the ocean.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You get a little silt at the bottom of the mixing bucket. I am glad. That shows it is salt right out of the ocean, not adulterated. The Sea of Cortez is still one of the most pristine oceans in the world. Sea 90 is not messing with the salt, just natural right out of the ocean. If it gives my corals a boost, I can live with some silt at the bottom of my bucket. I am starting to shy away from the lab salts. Mother Nature gives the ocean all it needs. I want to try this after trying all the others. If the salt is a little different batch to batch with Sea 90, how can Mother Nature salt go wrong? It can't unless the ocean goes very wrong. They are adding nothing compared to the other guys that are mixing their brew of the week.
Mother Nature was perfect but with global warming, industrial and residential runoff, coral reefs are dying all over the world.

why would you want to put that in your tank? I prefer synthetic salt which are tried and tested and the cheapest - instant ocean and reef crystal.

Sam

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anywho so about the new formula Red Sea blue bucket….

I tried the MyBatch thing that shows the ICP results but it doesn’t send the email. Ive used it in the past so prob a software issue on their end.

Last edited:

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to figure out if BRS has the new formula on hand since I need to order some stuff from them anyway. I might grab some of this salt.

Do you think there is any value in adding a price per gallon to my testing parameters? I hesitate because prices can vary wildly depending on promos, sales, and vendors.
Following along to see how this plays out. I currently use red sea but have been debating swapping on my next bucket.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
…Red Sea is a blend of natural Red Sea salt and lab salt.

What is lab salt?

The raw materials for our salts we use are all mined out of the ground. They aren’t grown in a lab or anything.

Sodium is sodium. Calcium is calcium. Chloride is chloride. Nothing in our tank knows that one calcium came from the Sea of Cortez and the other didn’t.

Sorry spsick to continue this on

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anywho so about the new formula Red Sea blue bucket….

I tried the MyBatch thing that shows the ICP results but it doesn’t send the email. Ive used it in the past so prob a software issue on their end.

BRS couldn’t confirm if they have the new formula in stock so I didn’t order any. I’ll keep an eye out

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is lab salt?

The raw materials for our salts we use are all mined out of the ground. They aren’t grown in a lab or anything.

Sodium is sodium. Calcium is calcium. Chloride is chloride. Nothing in our tank knows that one calcium came from the Sea of Cortez and the other didn’t.

Sorry spsick to continue this on
Pharm grade salt. They mix in all that is needed into the ground salt like mag, etc. I call man's mix lab salt vs pulling something straight out of the earth and not adding anything. Why we are seeing issues with salts is the batches of lab mixed is off here and there.

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt testing is happening again soon ;)

I don’t have this on the way but would gladly test it if sent

I’d also be shocked to see BRS test any salts going forward. They seemed to have moved on from that. Thomas might do a spotlight on it if I had to guess
Any updates on the salt testing buddy Curious on how this plays out

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m half way through a bucket and have seen no negative change in my tank. It mixes faster and cleaner and takes a little more to get 35ppt.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone is wondering if the new formula mixes cleaner I present a scoop of the scum on top of a freshly mixed batch. My mixing tank was cleaned before this bucket that I’m most of the way through and the walls are brownish so the scum is probably half dried stuff from the walls floating after the tank is refilled but still…
IMG_6221.jpeg

Back