newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a RedSea 750 xxl tank for my first salt water tank. I had a crash due to Ich. I cleaned and am restarting. I have filter socks that come with the tank and a sponge filter to keep out bubbles. I have a protein skimmer. I’m planning on adding marine pure bio spheres as a biological filter, should I add a bag of carbon as a chemical filter somewhere in the sump? Also can I get a drop in UV sterilizer if I don’t want to play with my plumbing. I have a 160gallon tank, and 40 gallon sump. I had a fluval 307 which I use for my QT tank now and previously for my freshwater tank, since the RedSea doesn’t have anything else as I filter I need help how to add things to get the best filter system working to have good quality water so I reduce parasites and diseases. Any help please? Also tips on cycling my tank with some fish I plan on adding after my QT would be much appreciated. Thank you

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can add carbon in a bag to your sump (refugium chamber is best). A reactor works even better, though The refugium chamber is also the best spot for MarinePure bio blocks or spheres.

Yes, you can add a UV for your sump without redoing the plumbing. I run a Sicce SDC 7.0 pump into an AquaUV sterilizer (from the refugium chamber into the skimmer chamber) on my 750.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For chemical filtration, I use chemipure blue but carbon will suffice.
UV units have several configurations without re-plumb

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can add carbon in a bag to your sump (refugium chamber is best). A reactor works even better, though The refugium chamber is also the best spot for MarinePure bio blocks or spheres.

Yes, you can add a UV for your sump without redoing the plumbing. I run a Sicce SDC 7.0 pump into an AquaUV sterilizer (from the refugium chamber into the skimmer chamber) on my 750.
Hey thank you so much! Do you have a pic of your sump for reference please? Also maybe a link to the UV sterilizer? Much appreciated!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back