Red Sea Testing Instruction Discrepancies...

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gee, what I said

Yes it is.

I'm surprised that there would be such an absence of quality control in a company which prides itself on precision testing at the hobbyist level.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is.

I'm surprised that there would be such an absence of quality control in a company which prides itself on precision testing at the hobbyist level.

I have been using Red Sea Algae Control Pro kit for a few weeks now. I was using the Salifert kits prior. I have been comparing both. I first thought the Red Sea kit was the best but now think it is a pain in the **** compared to the Salifert kits. I often get zero with Red Sea and something slightly different with Salifert. I feel based on observation the Salifert is more accurate. Today I got zero nitrate on both and zero phosphate on Red Sea and .015 on Salifert. I have some hair type algae slowly getting thinner and lighter.

Either is probably good enough but Salifert is so much easier and faster with these kits. The two brands always come in almost dead even on Calcium. Magnesium stops at 1500 on Salifert and higher with Red Sea - my Mag is off charts on both not sure why. KH is always about 1.0 higher with Salifert than Red Sea.

When the Red Sea is gone I will stick with Salifert even though everything in the kits is cheap(crappy syringes and plastic bottles etc...)

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Red Sea Algae Control Pro kit for a few weeks now. I was using the Salifert kits prior. I have been comparing both. I first thought the Red Sea kit was the best but now think it is a pain in the **** compared to the Salifert kits. I often get zero with Red Sea and something slightly different with Salifert. I feel based on observation the Salifert is more accurate. Today I got zero nitrate on both and zero phosphate on Red Sea and .015 on Salifert. I have some hair type algae slowly getting thinner and lighter.

Either is probably good enough but Salifert is so much easier and faster with these kits. The two brands always come in almost dead even on Calcium. Magnesium stops at 1500 on Salifert and higher with Red Sea - my Mag is off charts on both not sure why. KH is always about 1.0 higher with Salifert than Red Sea.

When the Red Sea is gone I will stick with Salifert even though everything in the kits is cheap(crappy syringes and plastic bottles etc...)

I agree... I'll use up the Red Sea reagents. But before I buy new Red Sea, I'm going to try Salifert. Seems less time consuming.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back