Red Sea vs Nyos vs Water box

Dra3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am looking into investing into a new tank and would like some input on which manufacturer is overall better. I have been doing a lot of research and have narrowed down to Red Sea Reefer G2 max line - the Nyos Opus G2 pro line or the waterbox Infinia 150.4.

Firstly,
I have them in order based on what they come with. The Rea sea max line of course comes ready to go right out of the box so to speak. But I’ve gotten mixed reviews on cabinet space for the sump and return flow knob issues as well on my end I don’t like the black Silicone. The Nyos is very nice with clear silicone very minimalist design. It includes a sump, but everything else is separate but it has space to work around with underneath.
Lastly,
The water box just has a good price point for the size.

Anywho, all the rambling can you all lend me some advice?

Thank you,

“oh and this will be my first salt water aquarium btw. I’ve been in freshwater for 20 years so now I’ve decided to change it up”
IMG_2814.png
IMG_2816.png
IMG_2815.png
IMG_2814.png

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea G2. They’re nice aesthetically. Don’t do the Max though, choose your own equipment - you’re barely saving much money going with their package.

With that said, I’d go for that Nyos all day! That’s a really sleek looking setup and I would go with external overflow like that one has if I could do it again.

One choice not there is the new Inovative Marine EXT models. They look real good too with their custom looking sumps and APS stands. Really wish that was out when I was looking.

OP
OP
D

Dra3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea G2. They’re nice aesthetically. Don’t do the Max though, choose your own equipment - you’re barely saving much money going with their package.

With that said, I’d go for that Nyos all day! That’s a really sleek looking setup and I would go with external overflow like that one has if I could do it again.

One choice not there is the new Inovative Marine EXT models. They look real good too with their custom looking sumps and APS stands. Really wish that was out when I was looking.
Thank you for the input and your insight. I will strongly consider everything you stated.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea makes some good products but I wouldn't even take the tank if it was free. And that skimmer is terrible to. The Nyos and WB is nice but if i had to choose it would be WB.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cade is probably the best tank for the money (albeit more expensive). If you're planning to get a lot of the new Red Sea gear one nice feature is that they're all wireless and work through their ReefBeat app.

The Red Sea tanks have all been improved, but myself personally I'd stick to models that feature an aluminium stand (there's more reinforcement in the cabinet and on the "floating" aspect).

DT_504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything except a Red Sea tank. It’s a ticking time bomb. Just search Red Sea leak/seam failure and you’ll find pages upon pages of failures
That’s G1 models. G2 models are built like a tank. Take your own advice and search for any G2 models and see if there’s anything you can find.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cade is probably the best tank for the money (albeit more expensive). If you're planning to get a lot of the new Red Sea gear one nice feature is that they're all wireless and work through their ReefBeat app.

The Red Sea tanks have all been improved, but myself personally I'd stick to models that feature an aluminium stand (there's more reinforcement in the cabinet and on the "floating" aspect).

The S models from RS are all aluminum too with euro bracing.

I second CADE, although just from quickly glancing, the new IM EXT models look pretty similar to Cade at a lower price point.

Too bad ELOS are hard to get in the USA now. Those were always the cleanest looking tanks.

OP
OP
D

Dra3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

Dra3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s G1 models. G2 models are built like a tank. Take your own advice and search for any G2 models and see if there’s anything you can find.
I have only seen one instance of the g2 model having leak problems other than that nothing. Really would go with it but the space underneath kills me. If you spill something on accident it will just have to dry on its own. And by no means am I a small guy I'm 6'7 so I need a little room to work ya know.

OP
OP
D

Dra3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am looking into investing into a new tank and would like some input on which manufacturer is overall better. I have been doing a lot of research and have narrowed down to Red Sea Reefer G2 max line - the Nyos Opus G2 pro line or the waterbox Infinia 150.4.

Firstly,
I have them in order based on what they come with. The Rea sea max line of course comes ready to go right out of the box so to speak. But I’ve gotten mixed reviews on cabinet space for the sump and return flow knob issues as well on my end I don’t like the black Silicone. The Nyos is very nice with clear silicone very minimalist design. It includes a sump, but everything else is separate but it has space to work around with underneath.
Lastly,
The water box just has a good price point for the size.

Anywho, all the rambling can you all lend me some advice?

Thank you,

“oh and this will be my first salt water aquarium btw. I’ve been in freshwater for 20 years so now I’ve decided to change it up”
IMG_2814.png
IMG_2816.png
IMG_2815.png
IMG_2814.png

So red sea is out nyos - water box- IM.

With that being said I know ill need to buy the individual components. What are some skimmers that are great but won't break the bank.
BY The way IM EXT 112 has moved to the top of my list.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the new IM EXT tanks are super sick. They have a good price point too. You should be happy with that setup over the others. Better get it with the sale before it’s over.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back