Red Sea / WaterBox Peninsula Pump Placement

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Long time hobbyist looking to get back into the game (after a 5+ year hiatus). Need help selecting pumps for a new peninsula aquarium.

For either of the Red Sea or Waterbox peninsula aquariums, are you able to place either MP40's or Gyre pumps on the back (drain) side instead of requiring the pumps to be placed on any of the three viewing panels? This will help me plan which pumps to use.

Thank you very much!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe you can get the dry side of the MP 40 pump wet, at least not for very long until you have a very expensive paperweight. You may be able to mount the outside magnet of a gyre pump in the back chamber, I would just wrap/waterproof it with a thick plastic bag first to keep it from possibly corroding from saltwater intrusion.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're talking about the back glass (not the overflow) you can put the MP40 or Gyres on the back without issue. Quite a few people prefer fully exposed viewing panels.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about the back glass (not the overflow) you can put the MP40 or Gyres on the back without issue. Quite a few people prefer fully exposed viewing panels.
Whoops! I forgot these tanks do not have a full panel overflow section haha

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! I'm referring to the back panels and not the central overflow.

It seems that either powerhead should fit on the back panels no problem. Just some custom work for the overflow if preferred for the gyre.

Do both the Red Sea & Waterbox have the back glass panels next to the overflow? I assume the glass thickness is the same as what's specified for glass thickness on their website...
I'm thinking about two MP40s to create a gyre effect in a 180 gallon, without needing the loud gyrer pump.

Thank you so much for your help!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back