Red serpent star

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Upon my research, I have found nothing and hoping yall can help. I have a red serpent star that had a leg (appeared to be) chopped off. Thought maybe a tang or another critter was attacking it. So I moved it to my sump to give it some space. Now he is expelling his legs. It's main body is still slowly moving but I can't figure out why he is doing this. All my levels are stable, nitrates are a little high at 20 but everything else is where it should be.

20231113_153349.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Upon my research, I have found nothing and hoping yall can help. I have a red serpent star that had a leg (appeared to be) chopped off. Thought maybe a tang or another critter was attacking it. So I moved it to my sump to give it some space. Now he is expelling his legs. It's main body is still slowly moving but I can't figure out why he is doing this. All my levels are stable, nitrates are a little high at 20 but everything else is where it should be.

20231113_153349.jpg
He is probably a goner unfortunatly. Never had any of mine recover when they look like this, usually indicates starving or sickness

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once, I believe mine was being eaten by crabs, one leg at a time. If you have any new rock, that’s a possibility IMO. I caught several crabs using the tilted glass method and, after that the star was OK.

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once, I believe mine was being eaten by crabs, one leg at a time. If you have any new rock, that’s a possibility IMO. I caught several crabs using the tilted glass method and, after that the star was OK.
I have hermits but no other crabs. Hermets are way smaller than it tho. Wayyyy smaller. I'll try feeding it maybe. Just seems wierd he's expelling his legs

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really?:/ I'll try feeding him just wierd he's expelling it's legs.
We're you the guy who posted earlier about mysterious white spots appearing? If so, this is what we were expecting. I don't want to be negative but regeneration take a lot of energy, not to mention he's probably not really eating much of anything your giving him. They don't just shed their legs because then they're helpless in the wild.

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're you the guy who posted earlier about mysterious white spots appearing? If so, this is what we were expecting. I don't want to be negative but regeneration take a lot of energy, not to mention he's probably not really eating much of anything your giving him. They don't just shed their legs because then they're helpless in the wild.
Uhhh no. Mysterious white dots I would attribute to ich but I don't have any. He finally kicked it this evening....

I'm not sure what post your referring to but it wasn't me

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhhh no. Mysterious white dots I would attribute to ich but I don't have any. He finally kicked it this evening....

I'm not sure what post your referring to but it wasn't me
Oh ok...there was another red serpent Star with what appeared to be large white spots on it. I'm sorry you lost him.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it sucks but if I can't have em I guess I can't have em
Generally brittle stars aren't excessively difficult to maintain...have you thought about a chocolate chip star? Btw, Idk whether or not you were spot feeding, but it absolutely couldn't hurt if in the future you get another brittle star.

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally brittle stars aren't excessively difficult to maintain...have you thought about a chocolate chip star? Btw, Idk whether or not you were spot feeding, but it absolutely couldn't hurt if in the future you get another brittle star.
I think I'll try again in a few months. I don't know what's it's deal was was fine for weeks.
Can't have chocolate chip because I have a ton of corals. I have a red lynkia and sand sifting doing amazing already

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll try again in a few months. I don't know what's it's deal was was fine for weeks.
Can't have chocolate chip because I have a ton of corals. I have a red lynkia and sand sifting doing amazing already
Just out of curiosity how old is the tank? It shouldn't matter for the brittle but the Linckia may not be doing as well as hear appears. Even if the tank is old, it's a little bit unlikely he can find what he really needs for health and a lengthy life unless you supplement feed him

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity how old is the tank? It shouldn't matter for the brittle but the Linckia may not be doing as well as hear appears. Even if the tank is old, it's a little bit unlikely he can find what he really needs for health and a lengthy life unless you supplement feed him
He's been cruising around for around 2 months and has color has significantly improved from when I got him via shipping. The tank was finished with amonia dosing back in July and that's when I put first batch of livestock. Second was in September. I really only struggled with leopard wrasse. But I culture pods and roti, and dose phytoplankton. Other than a large mix of different foods

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back