Is the serpent hunting or eating?

anemonalex

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2024
Messages
119
Reaction score
88
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This serpent star is just hovering over this piece of shrimp. They positioned it and everything. So my question is does this thing actually eat the food I give it. Or is it trying to catch something down to pods? I haven't found anything on specific just the general opportunistic scavengers that can turn fish hunters when they get bigger. Any insight is appreciated.

20240321_173151.jpg
 
I'm assuming this is the Green Serpent Star, Ophiarachna incrassata, yes?

If so, it may be waiting to see if the shrimp attracts more prey, but you should be able to tell when it has eaten because it'll start making a "pumping" motion for a while after eating:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6549144/
 
I'm assuming this is the Green Serpent Star, Ophiarachna incrassata, yes?

If so, it may be waiting to see if the shrimp attracts more prey, but you should be able to tell when it has eaten because it'll start making a "pumping" motion for a while after eating:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6549144/
I'm not sure the latin there are so many sub sp. It's some ophioderma sp. I am assuming. But I started feeding it sinking Hikari wafers. It eats way more of these then it ever did shrimp or mysis cubes.

20240409_210137.jpg
 
Deemed safe and sifts for food throughout the day
 
I'm not sure the latin there are so many sub sp. It's some ophioderma sp. I am assuming. But I started feeding it sinking Hikari wafers. It eats way more of these then it ever did shrimp or mysis cubes.

20240409_210137.jpg

The Ophiarachna incrassata, Green Serpent Star, is pretty easy to make out and it is a predator. I provided a link on them below. The one in your image above looks orange and brown.

https://echinoblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/giant-green-brittle-stars-of-death-when.html
 
I'm not sure the latin there are so many sub sp. It's some ophioderma sp. I am assuming. But I started feeding it sinking Hikari wafers. It eats way more of these then it ever did shrimp or mysis cubes.

20240409_210137.jpg
Yeah, this one should be harmless/beneficial.
 
I'm not sure the latin there are so many sub sp. It's some ophioderma sp. I am assuming. But I started feeding it sinking Hikari wafers. It eats way more of these then it ever did shrimp or mysis cubes.
Which hikaru pellets do you feed? I want to get some for my snails that aren’t just algae or very small… I was looking at carnivore but wasn’t sure if it’s only for freshwater (or if that even matters?) I’ve only mainly used frozen for my saltwater tanks since I mostly have predators
 
Which hikaru pellets do you feed? I want to get some for my snails that aren’t just algae or very small… I was looking at carnivore but wasn’t sure if it’s only for freshwater (or if that even matters?) I’ve only mainly used frozen for my saltwater tanks since I mostly have predators
Amazon product ASIN B001D6W2S8I got these to keep my conch off the roclwork
 
Is this how they digest food? It's been inflaiting' deflating like normal and holding a large bulge for long periods at a time. It was waterchange day anyways so I did 25pct change.
 
Here's pics I forgot to attach.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20240410_181541_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240410_181541_Gallery.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20240410_181526_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240410_181526_Gallery.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20240410_181508_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240410_181508_Gallery.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 84
Is this how they digest food? It's been inflaiting' deflating like normal and holding a large bulge for long periods at a time.
That sounds quite similar to the post-feeding behavior exhibited by Ophiarachna incrassata to me, so I'd guess yes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new