Red Slimy Coraline Algae Problem

Spearo

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2018
Messages
18
Reaction score
18
Location
SW FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I had this slimy red coralline pop up and growing. It seems to be competing with coral for . Checked all over and haven’t found too many things like it. Anyone have any experience with it? I was thinking about getting an urchin to try to knock it out.
My nitrates are high and started dosing with vibrant about 3 weeks ago and organic carbon a few days ago. PO4 relatively low 0-.25.

one photo is after I scratched it. Thanks for the help.

2D562CED-FF07-48FF-B99E-E6BA8C24B304.jpeg 2937FA53-7761-4ADF-B08E-34577D0AEE0F.jpeg BD4D4D55-3DB0-4B12-BFA4-86A58F4A1A12.jpeg 54C43344-5AB6-41A5-9F8C-C4057E96B333.jpeg
 
I have the same algae in my tank. I found that my tuxedo urchin eats it, my emerald crabs as well as some of the asterina stars in my tank. It hasn’t caused any problems and adds some color to the tank!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new