Red spot- disease, scrape, ideas?!

Klwheat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, never seen this before. This is my large Mata tang. He's currently in qt with a small cleaner wrasse and small green coris wrasse. The qt underwent 2 weeks of copper treatment after they were pulled from my display presumably for velvet. The copper finished about a month ago.
No ammonia, salinity is 1.022.
Anyone seen this? Did he just manage to scrape himself? Is this a disease that I can't find? Would really like to treat him if needed.
It appears to be in about the same spot behind the front fins on both sides. Also seems to involve the front of his left eye.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
IMG_4873.JPG
IMG_4872.JPG

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Secondary infections are very common after velvet, although it being on both sides is a common injury after a fish has wedged himself into a tight space.

I would suggest treating with the trifecta. Kanaplex+metroplex+furan-2 every 48 hours (after a 25% water change) for 10-14 days. An acriflavine bath might help as well. Bacterial infections can kill fairly quickly if untreated.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I agree. Regardless of how it happened, you have an infected wound there. Kanaplex, metroplex, furan 2 is the mix I would lean on.

Back